scope choice

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Hamster, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Hamster

Hamster pellet placement tech,

Club:
    Bedlay Airgun Club
    I am looking at two scopes for HFT on a limited budget, either a MTC Viper 10 x 44 or a Hawke Sidewinder Tac30 10 x 42 and would appreciate your views on both.
    thanks
    Neil.

2. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    I've had both and now prefer the sidewinder...it's optically clearer than the Mtc with no whiteout...vipers were good, but nowadays it seems u get one good and 4 bad....most will say buy a better scope, but plenty have put great scores in with either..try and have a look thru them both first;)

3. madplinker

madplinker Member

I would also take a little time and try both scopes and see what suits you best. I have tried both scopes and personally could not really choose between the two on performance i personally prefer the tac 30 reticule over the MTC.

Both scopes do well at HFT just try before you buy.:):):):):)

4. Hamster

Club:
    Bedlay Airgun Club
    Thanks guys,
    I have had a look at both and couldn't see much difference but I agree with you Dave re the Hawke having a better reticule just can't decide!

5. blackscale

blackscale Member

I think the Viper 'whiting out' is an advantage....it is vitally important that whatever scope you use, you develop a system that tells you when your eye is centre and when it's not!...That is WHATEVER scope you use imo :D

6. handbylt

handbylt New Member

Club:
    TCom.hft+Kingsley HFT
    Why not try the mtc connect 4-12×32....just swapped from hawke panorama and the difference is amazing:)

7. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I would have to agree here, why on earth you would consider buying a 40mm scope for hft is beyond me :confused: the Connect would be my recommendation too in 32 or 24mm but I would choose the 24mm objective version. It will allow slightly higher mag with the same depth of field and a little less room for px error.

8. madplinker

madplinker Member

I am sure there are lots of scopes at cloybank mate to try lol. I would say take your time and do not part with any of your hard earned cash until you are sure.
    The scope you choose is in some ways more important than the rifle. I would say the MTC connect is a marmite scope some like them some hate them some of them dont keep zero i had one ages ago which did not keep its zero around 2 years ago i believe they still have that problem so good ones and bad ones.

9. Hamster

Club:
    Bedlay Airgun Club
    This isn't easy lol, had a look through a MTC connect today, really liked it but found the crosshairs very fine (but could get used to it) this is going to be harder than I thought.

10. Bri.shep

Bri.shep Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Sidewinder

I have 2 tac 30s and have found them to be spot on I have tried the mtc they are good but i prefer the hawke

11. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    Only ever found whiting out is when youve got the sun coming in at a weird angle, this has cased me to introduce parralax to get rid of it which aint good , never quite sure whether it was the reflection of my eye looking back at me , I went over to the connect to get rid of it which it has done for the most part , must be the most px free scope ive used but aint as clear as the viper but the depth of field and huge picture has made the advantage of blurr range finding insignificant compared to the finer detail of looking at grass and stuff moving in the line of fire much more usefull , hope this helps

12. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    Hope this makes sense , my gun does 780 fps on my AA 200,400,500, and 900* same centre between scope and barrell , all do the same holdovers, and do 45yds at 1.25 md , on the vper with the thick ret and no gap underneath 1md I find it hard to spot the poi due to blur and ret obstruction , with the connect it has another gap underneath ( scb 2 I think )1md to 1.5 md which is usefull to see where the poi actully ocurrs in conjuction with the fine cross hair and depth of field gap etc I find it far superior , still depends on whether youcan get on with zero eye relief , probably not for glasses wearers , I, m contact lens wearer and tried both , still who knows , give the mtc a go dont think you will be dissapointed