Scope and packing advice

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by m1chaelw, May 18, 2011.

1. m1chaelw

m1chaelw New Member

Back FT shooting but having abit of trouble on scope mounting

My set up is a AR5s with raiser rail , Burris tactical weaver mounts X High , Nightforce NXS

I have managed to mount the scope but it requires 3 large peices of packing under the front mount which i have never done before " normally the rear needed packing" . This could be the raiser rail?

Also Due to the NF blind spot in the lower ranges , would it be a good idea ditching the raiser rail and mounting the scope as low as possible ? . The NF top end ranges are spot on 55 ect? So it would be flatter in the 10 - 25 yd range where i am most likely to make a mistake ?

Cheers for any advice

Michael

2. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Hi Mike has the riser rail a built in slope you could try reversing the rail

Gary

3. m1chaelw

m1chaelw New Member

Hi , im not 100 % sure but i think its sloped , it looks like its made to only fit on one way as it has a overhang above the barrel, im just abit worried about my blind spot and the reducers in the GPs

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    as for packing, I prefer adjustable mounts... less stress on the tube, and you can keep optical centre, but i am not sure you can get em in weaver (perhaps b-square, but they may be very rare)

5. m1chaelw

m1chaelw New Member

What sort of adjustable mounts do you use Rob? I can take the raiser rail off so that im back on to dovetail and lower so it might help me in the closer minis

6. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I use the ATP61 (think thats the number) on my AR5 and AR5s rifles. Just a case of leave them optically zeroed and then adjust them to get the pellets hitting as cloase to my preferred 45yd zero.

Takes about 10-15 minutes depending on the weather etc.

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    That's the ones. Pretty simple to sort, there's no windage. All I do is like Andy, dial it back to optical centre, get 55 yds pretty close by winding up the grub screw, then lock it off. Takes about 20 secs longer than a normal set.

The only thing I don't like about them is you need 4 allen keys to put a scope on with them, one for the scope clamps, one for the rail clamps, one for the adjustment clamps, and one for the grub...! Oh that and sportmatch scope clamp bolts always rust!

But they're my fave for the moment, far simpler than b-squares...

8. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Each to there own on zero setting I use 45 so that the turret is moving equallyish rather than it all being one way.

I also tend to use the liquid loctite to ensure the grub screw stays in place as well. Agree with Rob about the number of allen keys needed though :rolleyes:

9. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I had some adjustable b-square weaver mounts - ordered from BAR IIRC
    So you can get them

10. m1chaelw

m1chaelw New Member

Hmm just trying to mount some stock sportsmatch now and it seems they won't tighten on to the standard rail seems too small, am I been daft and forgot somthing?

11. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

some mounts are made so you can rotate the clamping plate 180 degrees and the other side is machined to fit smaller grooves, dont recall if sportsmatch do this have a look?

12. m1chaelw

m1chaelw New Member

Yup i checked the clamping plates , i might try getting some low weaver mounts on my raiser rail to counteract it been there. But im unsure why my standard mounts wont fit it , i might try a different set on today

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  13. Jon

Jon Member

The AR5 onwards are cut to suit Sportsmatch mounts, just rotate so the thinner part of the clamp is at the top and wider grabbing the dovetail on rifle. Incidently they measure nothing like 11mm.

Theres no standardised dovetail used, one German highly respected manufacturer has three different dovetails on same gun. Self centring mounts will only open and close up so much, assuming both sides give equal amounts.