Scope advice needed mainly benchrest

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Niloc, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    I would just like to ask the guys with much more experience than I for some suggestions for a benchrest scope.

I am currently using a 10-50x60 Sightron with a target dot ret for 25yd bench, 50 yd target and other fixed distance target stuff I am then reverting to a 10x42 Sightron with Mildot ret for general plinking etc. both scopes used on my HFT500, I have now acquired an Anschutz 8002 for up to 25m stuff and the 10-50 whilst having the perfect ret for target stuff is way too heavy and bulky for the gun, I have tried using the 10x42 which is a great size and weight but I find the mildot ret just too distracting for paper target work.

Have had in the past a Weaver T36 with the target dot ret but that would not parallax down to less than about 15m plus looking at the UKBR22 rules the max mag for them is 12x.

So what is good glass with a suitable ret and focussing distance for what I am looking for? I guess that something that will mag up to 20 or 25x would be perfect, I will probably end up letting the 10-50 go to fund the replacement so that may give some idea of budget.

Thanks

2. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Hi Niloc,

I have used the Nightforce BR for BR last year and now using a Weaver t36 as much lighter etc.

Re the mag if you shoot in Light or Heavy Varmint class then the mag is open and not limited to 12x.

If you only want to shoot in Sporting class then you could look at the smaller Grand slam weaver or similar, they do a target fine cross hair and 1/8 mildot centre which I have used for BR in the past. Nice scope. Bushnell elite 6500 are good glass for the money also, but not sure of availability of target ret on them.
    Leup Mk4 could be an option second hand as well.

If you decide to let your sightron go I would be interested as want to upgrade my FT rig from the Nikko's

kr

3. simmmo

simmmo Member

Weaver T36 target dot with a Bullseye pro booster. Dot fits perfect in UKBR22 targets.

Does what it says on the tin. No point paying anymore.

Why does it need to focus down to 15 targets are at 25yds indoors and 27yds outdoors.

Monkey

4. Damo1

Damo1 version 2.0

Club:
    Castle
    I'll freely admit rite now that I know nothing of bench rest at all so please be gentle with me but I do have a question to add to this thread .

Br = bench rest rite , which I think involves shooting from a seated position with the rifle on a bench , so my question is why does weight matter ?

Not being clever or trying to upset as I usually do just genuinely perplexed .

Thanks in advance .

Damo 60% 1

5. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    +1 to the above, iv`e used a t36 for last couple of years first class scope for BR

6. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Damo

Your right really in terms of shooting pure BR heavy is better but there is a pretty stiff weight limit on UK BR everything you use has to be under 4.5 k ish (10lbs or so old money) - with lam stock, enhanced forstocks 75mm wide, butt hooks etc soon comes up to limit - so keeping the scope weight down gives you wiggle room for bi pod etc if you want for example.

7. Damo1

Damo1 version 2.0

Club:
    Castle
    Nice one john I'll now take my leave and thank you

8. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    Thanks for the thoughts guys, to clarify the situation, the reason for wanting to focus closer than the T36 is that as this is a 10m match rifle I would just like to be able to use the scope on 10m targets for pellet testing etc. I guess that I am sort of looking for a shorter range and lighter version of the Sightron, not easy I know so perhaps a re-think is needed.

Perhaps I should not have sold that Weaver to john0neuk :mad:

I know that the T36 is a great optic, just that the fixed mag is a bit restrictive for general purpose stuff but it is probably worth working around that so It looks like goodbye Sightron and hello to a new Weaver.