Scope add ons

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by Scooby, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Their have been a few posts recently about the use of scope add ons to try to reduce the parallax error on the scope & whether or not they are UKAHFT competition legal.

Having had a good chat about it we have decided that any such products would be classed as an optical aid & are therefore banned in UKAHFT events, we are also extending the ban on the fitting of reducing appertures to scopes. Currently we specify their fitting to the "objective lens" is not allowed but they are now not allowed to be fitted " to the scope" as fitting one to the occular lens would have the same effect as some other products.

We feel it's better not to allow these type of devices otherwise it will just escalate & things will get silly.

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

For anyone wishing to reduce the parallax error they get on a scope this is the method I use which has the same effect as other devices:

If you position you head so that you don't quite have the perfect eye relief for your scope you will find a black circle encroaching inside your scope. if you then position your head so this black circle is in the middle of the scope/image for each shot you will have consistent eye/head position & parallax error is kept to a minimum.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Top tip from the top Pete :)

4. DaveTV

DaveTV Member

Club:
    Who knows....
    Does this include enhancers as they are an add-on that can reduce parallax error or are they just classed as a light reduction device like a sunshade.

5. Mog

Mog New Member

Club:
    Truttemer Tir Club
    Exacly my thoughts, does the same job as the Accucover, by helping to give a constant eye position, can't see how one can be banned and not the other.

6. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

The rubber scope enhancer/ eye cups would be fine as they really only cut out the light, personally I'd never use one for HFT

However if we start getting people modifying them or a different design comes out we might have to look at it.

If you are in any doubt then please feel free to collar either Pete Sparkes or myself at a shoot and we can have a look at it.

7. cb2591

cb2591 Member

Hmm...pretty obvious though.

8. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Not to me!

9. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

You're one of a few who use it then?

10. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Malta Allied Airgunners Club
    Why does using a scope enhancer differ from FT to HFT?

I use one for both and I find it helps keep my head in the same position every time.................:confused:

But it's true, I have noticed that HFT shooters very rarely use enhacers. Why is that?

To be different from the FT guys? :p:D

11. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters

People will have thier different reasons, but the main is we tend to have a lot of angled shots, i.e up trees etc, so it can be hard with an enhancer on, and yeah plus to be different from FT guys:D

Pete

12. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I personally use on for FT as it helps cut the light out.

I don't find enhancers maintain the head position as the rubber still allows a few mm of movement which in HFT can be the difference between a hit & a miss. This isn't a problem in FT though as slight variations in head position make no difference as you can't get Parallax error when focussed onto the target.

13. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Talking of which your 2nd place trophy from Treetops is in my car, I'll bring it to Shepreth:p:p:D:D

14. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I can think of 3 or 4 really good answers to that Chris but it would be too easy
    :D

15. RancidTom

RancidTom Member

Accucover

How do I complain about a user? I was told by somebody else at a recent shoot that "they were legal for this competition", but having followed it up after I find they are not and I should have complained. Whom do I complain to? I have a witness to back up my complaint.
    RT

16. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

If it was a National then PM Sparky, if the Midland Hunter then Pm Ryan Charlton (Charlt's), if it was a club comp to UKAHFT rules then Sparky still needs to know as do the club organisers.

17. Bodger J

Bodger J "PBD...Pete's Brolly Dolly"

Club:
    Fort Airgun Club
    I have a question regarding scope add on's.
    I have a Leup that I intend to use next year at the nationals.
    I shoot a HW77 and as I cant use a sunshade due to the problems the length of the shade causes during loading I was going to use an "ARD" held in place by the butler creek is this ok?

Thanks

18. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

No I'm afraid an ARD would not be allowed

19. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Tom, I had some dialogue with Tench yesterday. You should have mentioned it at the time, there's nothing that can be done a week later I'm afraid.

We let a lot of things slide on Sunday as the people who had volunteered to marshall didn't, so we had an inexperienced group of marshalls. Not ideal but it's how it happened, there'll be a few things done differently moving forward and everything will be getting stricter.

20. Bodger J

Bodger J "PBD...Pete's Brolly Dolly"

Club:
    Fort Airgun Club
    Thanks for the info

Cheers