Schmit.FT

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Steve, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve Member

Advice/general opinion.If you were going to buy a new Schmit what option would you get.ie.1st 2nd focal, mill(type)dot,target dot,illuminated or not,although for 257 quid extra I think I could live without the light.Or do I stick with the devil I know:)20/50 and just buy another second hand one.Anyone who has switched from a 20/50 to the schmit I would be interested in your views especially.:)

2. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    I got the first focal plane ret just got a large wheel no it trying to get a sunshade I can then try against my 20/50 leupold I,m off for a week so can give it a good try out Schmidt v leupold :D
    looked at the 50x mildot thought it was very fine

Gary

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I don't know what the reticule options are, but the one I looked through at the weekend was so fine that I was glad the owner had put IR on it. That was 2nd focal. Guess it depends on what you like and are comfortable with. These days I prefer something bombproof visually. I haven't heard any similar thoughts to mine though from s&b owners...

4. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
  5. RobF

Club:
    It was the FT Schlösser 2.BE . If memory serves me well, what look like dots on that were actually rings.

6. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Thats why I went for ffp as I looked thought both sfp and found the ret a bit thin especially when the mag is turned down

yes the circles in mine have a nice dot in the centre of them when set up the dialling points found with the right to left wind the group was land smack on the first circles dot

looking for a sunshade to do the PX distances, has the diallling all done and wish the match them up

Gary

7. RobF

Club:
    I never even saw that there were dots inside.

I wonder which one Jon had at the euros all that time ago... that seemed to be easier to read for me. Mind you my eyes could have been a lot better!

8. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    S&B

I have a 2nd Focal FT Schlosser 2BE and yes it is very fine , but as yet i have not lost it in the dark plus i did go the whole hog and got the IR but have not had to use it. Have been shooting on 25 mag and have found the picture very bright v my leup and again on 50 mag much brighter again when ranging. So far its for me it is a move forward . Leupold 20x50 you have to learn and work at to keep up to speed , plus the leup does not suit all peoples eyes.
    But still early days with my one.
    Don

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  9. azzi_b

azzi_b New Member

Was testing mine against a 20x50 just last night, for me it was a lot better in the dark corners at 50 mag. I have got the ft2 ret in second plane. Testing it at night i have found i can see more thro the scope than i can with naked eye. There is a lamp post at 30 yards in front of my house and i could not see the id plate on it. Using the scope it was not a problem could read and range the tag no problem.
    ...ah and forgot to mention that I was ranging thro double glazing as well so the "real" image would have been even better - but was still clear and snappy on range

The ret was a little hard to see, but I got the illuminated ret so a single click on the dial and ret was back but bear in mind that it was DARK ! not dusk, but dark.

10. Sammo

Sammo Member

b1 ret

I have the first focal b1 ret and the image you see on the link is at 12.5 mag if you turn it up to 50 mag you get a series of very large circles with a dot in the centre of them.
    At first I did not like it but now I think it is the best ret I have used, also bare in mind that the 1 or 2 mil dots off target remain the same distance off centre no matter what mag you are on.

11. Steve

Steve Member

Cheers Fellas,not overly keen on 1st focal rets and as I range and shoot on the same mag its not really an issue,I guess it just depends on the thickness of the ret in the other.I like my 20/50 milldot ret but find the gen 2 milldot to big,but comp series leups.to fine how does the ret in the schmit compare to those?

12. RobF

Club:
    it's been a while since I peeked through a comp, but I reckon it's finer... (or the ret I looked at was...) but without having them along side each other, it's difficult to actually say.

ChrisJ would be the man to perhaps ask, think he has both.

13. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Been asking myself similar. At moment I think I'd go ffp FT2 but if I do get one Ill be using it on 40 mag and I mag down for standers and will mag down for dark targets and bad heat haze.

If you find Gen 2 too big I think you'll find the FT 1 even bigger. I have Gen 2 FFP in a 40 mag VX3 and from my brief look at the FT 1 it was a "busier" ret and the centre crosshairs were thicker that was a 40 mag comparison. I like the design of that ret but it is a bit on the thick side in the ffp. As an aside S&B had the better resolution and shallower dof over the Leup but then I expected it to.

14. Richard Shaw

Richard Shaw It was windy....

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Comparing my 2nd FP FT2 (illuminated) S+B ret on 40x against my Leup Comp 40 mag target dot ret, the S+B is certainly thicker - but only just.

15. RobF

Club:
    Nice avatar :D Congrats on the sponsorship deal :D:D

16. Steve

Steve Member

Well I've decided on the 1.be ret ffp non illuminated.Just got back from 190 mile round trip with cash in my pocket to buy the scope from York guns,was told yesterday they had it in stock,got there and guess what.So I'm back home scopless,at least I had the chance to look through the different options.