1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schmidt & Bender FT scope

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by wiseguy, Jan 2, 2011.

1. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    Hi,
    as here a lot of good FT shooters can be found, I tought this might be a good place to ask a question regarding the S&B 12.5-5-x56 FT scope.
    Does someone know what reticle is common used in these scopes for FT?
    http://www.schmidtundbender.de/field-target/12-5-50x56-field-target-10.html
    I found these on the German S&B website and am a bit puzzled on the Sport FT3 reticle compared to the Sport FT2 reticle. Is this FT3 the correct size of the mildot FT reticle or are there others that can be choosen.
    Any information is appreciated, thanks in advance.
    regards,
    Rob

2. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston
    Hi Rob have a look for a guy called meastro on here hes a castle member he uses one and knows all about them
    atb
    Dave

3. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Hi in my one I have the FT3L the only other 1 I have looked through FT2 and I must say I liked it more as it was less crowded/busy.Am not sure on the mil dots as I don't use them , I do know on 1st focal scope they relate to a 40mm kill on 50 mag at 50 meters. Not all the ret shown on the web site were made.The booklet that came with my scope is no use at all as is for the PM 2 5x25
    Cheers Don

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  4. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    As a small addendum, this is what I mean about the size of the reticle.
    On the S&B website the very busy, small reticle is shown, while on a certain webshop's page I found the larger version, but that is supposed to be a FT2BE reticle....
    Just want to be sure what I can expect if I would order one.
    regards,
    Rob

Attached Files:

5. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    Hi can you still order them ?. Thought they had all gone back to S&B for mods.:confused: my one as per the Ft3L picture.

6. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    I had the first focal plane ret no longer on there site untill it lied constantly with temp changes and I had my money back I would not touch another S&B with a barge pole :mad:

Gary

7. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Hi Rob, both reticles on the website are shown in real size. The FOV is about 1.5 times wider than the Big Nikko's Field-of-view. Everybody's using the FT2 reticle, because this is the only FT-compatible from the three types. I've been struggling for months to let replace my f**king FT3 reticle to an FT2. So think it twice if you'd like to have the FT3...

The FT2 reticle is simple and useful. If you're shooting at 50x mag then the dots have the perfect size (on an 50 meters target, viewed on 50x one dot is 2 cms and the line thickness covers 0.5 mms). The FT3 reticle is designed for shooting at 25x mag so it sucks if you don't like to turn down the mag for every shot. The dot distance is the half than the FT2 dots, on 50 ms at 50x one dot is 1 cm and the line thickness only 0.25 cm! And the picture is full with annoying little divisions, great for rangefinding but you'll hate them while aiming.

So my advice is: strictly only FT2 type and illuminated!

If you really want to buy an S&B scope (think it twice man) I think some European guys would sell their ones with pleasure, so don't pay more than one thousand quids for a Schmidt. And buy a good thermometer, too...

8. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    Thank's for your feedback and I appreciate your honnesty. I read the horror stories on the S&B FT scope, but am surprised that dispite this they are still widely used. If you just look at the FT Worlds 2010 entries, a lot of these scopes were used. Even the winner had one ;)
    But....what else? The Falcon T50 isn't for sale yet, the March is too expensive and I already use a BN3...
    regards,
    Rob

9. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Prices

The new prices for the FT Schmidt according to form has gone quite a bit over the £2k mark. In that sense they are catching up to the March scopes.

I know the PMII version is approx £2350 to buy new.

I was told recently that the FT scope has gone up to a similar price. I am not 100% sure on that mind???

Berty

10. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    comp series or Mk 4 Luepold. £700 for a good scope that wont let you down.

11. maestro

maestro Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Yes because it's almost impossible to sell it... :D

Anyway it's really a good scope if you can live with that temp-shift thing. Very wide field-of-view, precise clicks, rangefinding from 7 meters, no POI-shift etc. But you have to know your scope very thoroughly.

12. Richard Shaw

Richard Shaw It was windy....

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    RRP for a FT Schmidt is £2291.95 + £113.95 for the side wheel + £41.95 for a sunshade.

RRP for a 12-50x56 PMII is £2148.95 + £38.95 for a sunshade. (FT side wheel fits if needed).

Speaking from experience, I too would avoid the FT version like the plague. Early days with the PMII but results so far are promising and feedback is positive. I need to try the PMII over a range of temperatures before passing judgement. I also need to compare it side by side to a March...........
    :)

13. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Comparison

Rich,

I am stunned that the PMII is cheaper than the FT scope. I tried a 25 mag PMII years ago and thought it was brilliant to use.

With regards to comparing scopes, I am hoping to get upto 1 of the NEFTA w/l's soon, if your there, maybe we could shoot together and shoot the 2 together fella. Just a thought thats all???

Berty

14. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    By all reports the PM2 is proving excellent. I agree with Mark, tried the x25 a few years back and it was super:cool:

15. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Suited for FT

It appears that the PMII is the better scope for FT, shame really as the plans for the FT were what we al wanted???

Berty

16. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Its a shame that the FT model did not work correctly (temp shift) as I liked the ret, able focus to 7 yds without extra lens and the turret clicks also nice field of view unlike the big nikko smartie tube fov

Gary

17. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Thats a bit harsh,....loo roll fov more like:D

18. Dale

Dale Member

Doesn't surprise me at all.

The PMII is a standard production tactical/target scope whereas the FT is a niche scope.............

19. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    In what way is the FT version different from the PM2 version, as both have the same magnification range and objective diameter? They have different internals?
    For me it is important to have decent rangefinding between 40-55 yards.
    Can I achive the same using the PM2 version?
    regards,
    Rob

20. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    PM2 has a 34mm body and is black and will range out past 1200 yards.