Schmidt & Bender 12,5-50 Field Target "help"

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Acki, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Acki

Acki New Member

Good morning everyone, my name is Achille and I am a member of the Italian Federation of Field Target!

I apologize in advance for the bad English, I hope to be understood better.
    I am a happy owner of S&B FT 12.5-50x60 and like me other members of the federation faced the purchase with the hope of having something more than the famous diamond nikko 10-50. The S&B is a brightness and superb mechanism seems very sturdy and well made, the only proplem that was found and the estimated distances. Variations in external temperature varies the position of the parallax reference on the wheel, in addition we noticed that becomes very hard to estimate between 45 and 50m in strong light conditions. I wonder if anyone has had same problem and if you like remedied.
    Thanks in advance e. .. if you will, see you at the World Championships in Hungary!

2. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
  3. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    He has all the answers on the bbs :rolleyes:

Gary

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Simple remedy, get rid of it:D

5. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

You are a bitch....but I like it :D

6. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    or find a gun that shoots higher in heat - it could work in harmony with the scope :eek: ;)

7. kzozee

kzozee New Member

S&b ft

After 2009 november produced models are no longer move in temperature difference.
    I bought two, and both are perfect. Send it back to the service station.

8. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    I have tryed to hold my views but stuff it i am very angery about this and i still have not got my refund from the sportsman after nearly 4 weeks, :(

Well my Jan 2010 model moved 7 yrds when temp hit 24 deg ,both mine and Garys did the same as he has said in other post,Its now back at **** and bendy for evaluation but to be honest they can keep it, for a £2000 scope i think its disgusting and S & B customer service and feedback is rubbish, For the guys that tested it and gave rave reviews on the net and in the mags have lost alot of respect from me, no wonder one of then no longer shoots FT. and its a shame that S & B did not listen to those that know about scopes and told them of the problems 2 years ago,I assumed with the rest that brought the scope that the production scope would have been sorted. How wrong were we...!!!!!!! Like gary said freebies can cloud judgement.

If your thinking of buying one Don't...save your money. or buy a march....

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  9. Steve

Steve Member

Cancelled mine:(Shame really because the glass and build quality plus the fact you didn't need a 50ft adapter was second to none IMHO.

10. maestro

maestro European Champion 2018

Club:
    East Devon
    I've been using and testing S&Bs since the spring of 2008. My first scope was a prototype (but was sold to me as a first production model...). Parallaxing was nearly linear, every metre was about 7-8 mm on the wheel between 10 and 50 metres. The rangefinding was highly sensitive to temperature, to magnification and altitude as well. I could manage it somehow and weren't a disadvantage on the competitions, but I enjoyed its advantages like the wide FOV, the precise mechanism, and the very clear image.

In 2009. I tested one of the first production models. Parallaxing was squeezed in the larger distances but sensitivity to temps was exactly the same and had a definitely blurred image so it was sent back to the factory by its owner.

In February 2010. the factory replaced my prototype scope with a new production model, where the rangefinding isn't sensitive to magnification any more, but as with all S&Bs the good old temp shift stayed the same. Parallaxing: the markings on the wheel get narrow up to 25 metres, but after that the scale is nearly linear.

It's a shame from a manufacturer like the S&B... The bigger shame is that I've been waiting for an answer to my letter for months now, but all in all, if you know the scope's faults, for they are predictable and can be reproduced again and again, you can get to know your scope and you can get on with it.

I was thinking of buying a March scope, but my latest news is that its temp shift is rather sly - it rangefinds consistently only up to a limit. Then suddenly it jumps and rangefinds differently. For more information please ask Doc, my Hungarian colleague, he can be found on the STB forum as well.

11. kzozee

kzozee New Member

Bad to hear that. I have 3 mates who has same problem. They sent back to the factory several weeks ago. My S&B scopes are fitted in April in 14 celsius and I use them in 37 celsius as well and they moved 1-1,5 meters maximum. I hope the S&B company solve your problems.

12. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Zoltan your lucky to have an almost stable S&B they can not resolve mine has I had my money back

The way Rob describes the way the march changes, I think is more predictable, akin to winter /summer settings than the schmidt which constantely changes which you have one eye on the thermometer and one eye down the scope

Chris I had my money back in a few days have they told you the hold up for your refund

Gary

made a nice tic a tape to fit rilfe

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  13. maestro

Club:
    East Devon
    Maybe the S&B is thinking in the long run, and tries to raise the competitors... Let's see how it works:
    - You have to have one eye on the scope and one on the thermometer - you learn discipline,
    - You have to wait months for the scope or for a repair - you learn patience,
    - You have to deal with a few meters misranging - you learn to shoot very precisely.
    And then, all you need is a good FT-scope... :D

14. Pepone

Pepone WFTF World Champion 2010

Club:
    Villarrubio FT
    My SB shifts with the temp but not much, only when the temperature change more than 9-10 ºC. in this case, the scope under range about 2 metres. The real problem is when the shifts is occasioned for a change in target ilumination, like a suddenly overcast or targets in deep shadows, the scope over ranges about 2 meters, but it can be controlled easy.

The way to solve the problem is to mark the sidewheel in the same conditions were the competitions will be played. Here in Spain, normally the competition starts at 10:00h in the morning to 13:00h, or 16:00 to 19:00h in the afternoons. The way is to mark the sidewheel in this period of the day, with the normal condition of light. This can be differente if you are in spring or winter sessions. Then, if you note a change in temperature or in light condition, you can estimate to correct the distance obtained, adding 2 meters when the temperature are up, or down 2 meters when there is overcast o the temperatures gets down.

One thing that i have noted is that a different setup in the diopter rings, make the gaps between marks are differents. In my case, i correct the diopter ring and the marks became 1 to 2 mm shorter. But the shifts in paralax is shorter too.

Sorry for my google english.. :eek:

15. maestro

Club:
    East Devon
    The problem is that we're talking about not the same scope. There's one name, 'S&B 12.5-50x56 FT' but I know about more generations of prototypes, there are early and later production models and so on...

Is your scope a new one? Recently had a practice session with a German FT-shooter, he has one of the earliest prototypes. He told me that it's not too sensitive to temperature but more likely to light conditions.

16. Pepone

Pepone WFTF World Champion 2010

Club:
    Villarrubio FT
    My scope is one of the late production of 2009-2010. SB 12,5-50x56 FT Second Focal Plane. It has the same distribution of marks in the side wheel parallax than yours, getting smaller until the 25m and there are constant up to 50m.

17. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    My scope under ranges on bright targets, over ranges in the darker areas. Have not shot in temps over 20deg so as yet have no seen a shift for a change of temp, it was set up on a 14 deg over cast day.Am stuck with it as sold my leup to fund the S&B and you dont find Leup 20x50 just lying around.
    Have been caught out a couple of times with the over range in the dark, so have had to learn to deal with it as its about 2 1/2 yards for a change in light so you can be dealing with a change from one target to the next of 5 yards.:eek:White out was solved by using two sun shades

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  18. kzozee

kzozee New Member

Yes, that's correct. As I seen that the light conditions, expect much more. When my scope "moved" 1-1,5 meters this happened when I moved from a strong light to the shade. But it's not more than 1-1,5 meters, and I do not think that this is due to the difference in temperature. Fortunately, this is not much, is still within the margin of error.

I'm interested in what you say about the importer of Schmidt and Bender UK?

19. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    I'm interested in what you say about the importer of Schmidt and Bender UK?[/QUOTE]

They dont under stand what a field target shooter is looking for.

20. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    The scope is simply not fit for the purpose it was desgined and I,d like cash back please:D even though mine put back in the bank account :D

Gary