S400 questions

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by O'Keeffes, Jul 17, 2010.

1. O'Keeffes

O'Keeffes New Member

I have been offered a 177 cal S400 with sound mod for £300 which seems quite reasonable it looks very tidy, what I would like to know is

How many shots per fill, the chap in the shop said about 70

Would it be ok fo a beginner inr hft and ft and a bit of round the farm birds and bunnies.

Any common faults.

I went through the racks in the gun shop and tried cheaper and a quite a lot more expensive ones.This one just seemed to fit me and felt right.

Thanks Sean

2. rick

rick New Member

For a gun to do all things well you won't get much better. The 400 a good all rounder cheap to maintain and very accurate. The price is about right aswell.

Try the Air Arms owners club for more info.

3. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Hi Sean,

I have a S400 classic and easiily get 70 shots.

The S400 is ideal for HFT and hunting, it's also commonly seen on the FT circuit.

It my opinion it is an excellent rifle.

Good luck

Shaun :)

4. NoMarkLeft

NoMarkLeft I can spell virgin now

As said before, a very good all rounder the s400 is;)plenty of info about mods and tweaks can be found on the net about these rifles.

5. skipper

skipper New Member

The S400 series is a cracking rifle.... fill the Gauge to 160/170 - 110 for the sweet spot and away you go :)

6. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    To be honest you wont go far wrong with one of these at all! A mate shoots one of these in FT and the rifle has never been an issue.

7. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Cheers Will !
    Mind you he is right, its usually the nut behind the stock that causes a problem with any gun. Had mine foe two years never caused me any problem, all I would recommend is adjust the trigger to take out the slack in first and second stage to make it near match like.
    Just suggest you give it a rub with an oily rag before you put it back in the bag.

8. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Ohhhh bloody hell touchy! :p

Bloke asks question, bloke gets answered question! ;)

Seriously though, we been shooting together what 2 years? Never known you to have an issue with the S400 and to be honest could form the basis of further development if you so fancied. You are right about the trigger mod too, felt a lot better when you did it.

9. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Me, touchy, that'll be the day!
    Anyway you're spot on mate, the 400 can do everything you need, very comfortable at anything under 45 yds, just struggle sometimes at 55, it takes a little more compensation for wind and a bit more drop than say an ev, or steyr at extreme distance. They can be tuned and there is always someone at any club who will know how to fettle them.Find a ginb stock second hand, I put an mpr trigger and a hamster on the standard stock on mine, with a decent scope on a good day you can give the others who have spent a fortune a fright.

10. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    If the gun is running at the same power as the Stery / EV2 then I can't see why the pellet would drop more at range?

11. sultano

sultano Member

Club:
    cambridge hft
    that will be because it didnt cost as much ;)

12. Weevie

Weevie Banned

For some reasonm (don't ask me why, I don't know, possibly due to different barrels leaving different impressions on pellets) the BC of any given pellet will be different in different guns let alone different models.

There's probably a range of BCs that a given type of barrel will produce and maybe, for instance, that set of BCs is further constrained by the nature of the pulse of air that the pellet is given by a given action.

The BC of the pellet is a factor in trajectory and thus pellet drop.

13. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

It may be an anti-tamper issue Dave.

14. Weevie

Weevie Banned

Oh for goodness sake...don't be an arse all your life. :rolleyes:

15. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Looks like you already filled that niche Steevie. :p

Ps, I have added a sig in your honour. :D

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  16. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    The money issue is probably closest to the truth. Cheaper barrel, and no regulator would be my guess, plus generally cheaper build.

17. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

I beg to differ, I have owned several S400s over the years, still have a GML S400, and the accuracy and consistency of these air guns is equal to any air rifle costing 3x the price. :cool:

Ps, I own Steyrs, Walthers and Zeniths and the GML is not out of it's class in such company. :rolleyes:

18. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Have to agree - just got the lad a S400 and it drops the pellets onto the lines on the SR6 ret just as well as my Pro Target did. Both running at around 770fps

Dave.

19. Weevie

Weevie Banned

If by that you mean that a barrel used in cheaper rifles affects the BC of the pellet in a deleterious way then you're probably right (and just restating what I said above with slightly less detail).

I wouldn't have thought that the lack of a regulator would mean an overall and consistent difference in trajectory. Why would it? unregulated PCPs in the their sweet spot can actually be more consistent in FPS terms shot-to-shot than a regulated rifle.

20. Weevie

Weevie Banned

Sometimes the only answer to tiresome facetiousness is an insult. :rolleyes: