s200 barrel

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by poth, Aug 5, 2014.

1. poth

poth Whafta old Gits world champion

Club:
    Quarry hunters hft
    anybody fitted a s200 barrel into a s400 action if so what is required I believe the barrel will need machining any recomendations on who will cary out the work needed and the costs involved please

2. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I have machined all sorts of barrels to fit in all sorts of actions. When machining one for an S400 if the barrel you have chosen does not have an internal o ring groove it would be easier to refit the brass section from the original 400 barrel onto the new one. Yes the o ring groove can be machined into the barrel if that way is preferred. The 200 barrel does not have an internal o ring.

The barrel would also need to be free floated as it is 15mm dia and wont fit through the original barrel band without modification. There is just enough clearance between the barrel and air tube to fit this barrel. You can infact just fit a BSA barrel in this action too which is 15.5mm dia.
    The std barrel support band could be machined out with a little clearance to protect the barrel from accidents and allow it to be free floated.

I could do this for you if you wanted, pm me.

Simon.

3. Wovokaa

Wovokaa New Member

Club:
    AFFT
    Hello,
    the question to be asked, why do this ?
    I have a S400 and the barrel is very well :)

4. Upshot

Upshot New Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT, Heckington HFT
    Yes I have

I fitted a 200 barrel into my 400 (d.o.m 2007) when it got bent after someone fell over it. I always thought the 400 12mm barrel looked a bit flimsy and I am not keen on barrel support bands anyway.

Yes the band gives the barrel support under normal circumstances but if the gun meets with an accident and it's not spotted straight away then the band (in my case) can move and hold the barrel out of alignment.

The only problem I encountered with my conversion was there was very little clearance between barrel and air cylinder so it rattled occasionally. I managed to get round this by placing a thin 'o' ring on the cylinder as close to the action as I could.

In conclusion I can recommend the 200 barrel and I would suggest you have it threaded to take a 1/2" unf silencer. I had mine done at a local precision engineers who followed my instructions and made a good job of it. However I would recommend you use an engineer who is experienced in airgun work and you will find none better than Simon (Tench).

atb

Nev.

5. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Thanks Nev, you can also eliminate the rattle and need for the o ring by shimming under the front of the breech, a couple of thou is usually enough to counter act the barrels natural sag due to its weight.
    I often shim std 400's to remove any tension on the barrel and make it align perfectly with the band for better stability anyway.

6. crazycavey

crazycavey New Member

Club:
    Between Clubs - Yes I'm the Mike Phillips of the HFT world.
    Just a comment on the barrel.... be careful with it...

I was disrought when my strap broke, and the S400 hit the ground...(I didnt notice at the time it landed on the silencer and that had bent the barrel around the part the silencer grub screw holds the barrel)

I thought I had got away lightly, until I tried a practice (zero check) in my back to find I couldnt even hit the pellet trap (about 3ft x 3ft box) that was out at about 25 yrds! it was so far out at 10 yrds!I was jus about hitting the trap! My heart sunk when I noticed the bend... -

Not having a spare £90 for a new barrel I spent the best part of a day gently taking the bend out testing each time, it was out accross the vertical alot! and the horizontal a little. (double the trouble)

I have a long back garden so I have cheked my zero up to 45yrds and if i do say so its almost like new - and the other night I took a rabbit at 55yrs (rested) (not my usual range but it was an inviting shot) - so confidence is growing again.

But the dent to the confidence you have in your setup can be worse than the bend in the barrel!

(PS I cradle my Air rifle almost all the time now, although I reinforced the stap it is used more to just to steady the free standing shot now! it will be a long time beofe I have faith using it on the shoulder again)