S111 10x42 tips?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Dan Smith, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    hello,

So I’ve taken a step up in glass and got myself a s111 10x42 MMD ( thanks balloo it’s spot on ).

It’s like getting a 4K telly - lovely to look thru.

Setting up for HFT today and took me a while to realise it seemed to need a bit more eye relief than my evx 10. There’s more blur near and far too.

Are there any little tips or idiosyncrasies I need to know about these scopes?

Cheers

2. john79

john79 JEDI

I used a scope enhancer (pig's ear) on mine because I found it was very fussy with head/eye position , I found the depth of field not to great either! px set to 20yrd's and still couldn't see a 8yrd target !

Dan Smith likes this.
  3. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moore, Northern Monkey HFT
    Take note of the subtle change in colour on the ret when head alignment is not correct.

4. SpeckleD

SpeckleD Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moore, Northern Monkey HFT
    Oh and chuck another O ring under the turrets to stop them turning accidentally

MickyFinn and Dan Smith like this.
  5. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I put a maximiser on but think I’d be better without to start with because I’m not convinced I’ve got the right head position?

john79 likes this.
  6. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    As John & Jim have mentioned Dan they're a bit head position fussy/px error prone (and the turrets DO turn too easily). If you can't get on with an enhancer then put a marker on the cheek piece so you get a repeatable eye/head position.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    SpeckleD, Dan Smith and john79 like this.
  7. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Hi Dan, don't forget that you can clear the image to check pellet marks at 45 yards by just lifting your head up and down, before settling back down to centralise your eye.
    I shot quite well with these for a couple of years, but I couldn't use a pigs ear. I adjusted the distance from my eye until you can clearly see the black outer circle around the sight picture, this way it is easier to centralise your eye perfectly and I never really had PX issues. Very sharp clean image but my eyes changed slightly as I depended on reading glasses and I found the close stuff too blurry for my eyes. Shame as they are superb glass and if I wanted a hunting scope for long range bipod use I would get another. Very similar to a Leupold MK4 and I preferred the ret in the sightron to the Leupold TMR, but not as good depth for my eyes, but I suppose it depends how your eyes work. Lovely clean colours only matched for me by the very best scopes.

8. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Thanks for your advice.

Think I’d better just spend some time with it and learn it. I’ll try Deans head up and down trick!

Dan

9. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC

Dean,

Thanks for the ‘heads up’ tip - just tried it out - it really works and I guess will help with range finding - thanks!

Dan