RWS Superfields

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by poison dwarf, Feb 21, 2010.

1. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    I was running out of superfields so got a batch of the new ones :(
    Anyone else notice a change in superfields?

2. ikarma70

ikarma70 New Member

as in the quality has dropped compared to the previous batches?...if so then yes i have,the skirts arent so well finished.

3. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    never shot superfields but back to 1991 and superdomes were the dogs thingies in the njr. Sold the njr but ended up carting the superdomes around S.Wales for the next 15 years before coming back home!

Turns out, compared to "modern" pellets suerdomes were rubbish, but if anyone wants any, there about 4000+ in a tub in the Tondu team hut (Container!) going spare lol!

4. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    yes, latest batch are different. They look more like an unfluted superdome rather than a JSB derivative.

Weighed a sample batch and there was only 2/10ths spread in 50 odd - much better than anything from the JSB factory, BUT -they didn't group that well through my PT. The skirts are a little thicker and harder, so seating them properly with the thumb was a problem.

5. DeanB

DeanB Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Rws

I found exactly the same. Had a very good batch for my EV2 in Dec 2008. Then tried to get some more in Oct 2009. Same numbers on the tin. Did some testing on paper and the new batch was hopeless. Even the shop agreed and gave me my money back. Said they were going to contact Ruag.

Dean

6. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    On opening the tin the new ones are much shinier, They also seem to drop further than the old ones past 45 yds ( maybe a tight fit in my barrel but others who tested then had the same problem) also my groups are crap when using these. Ah well back to the hunt for another pellet :)

7. ikarma70

ikarma70 New Member

i'll try another tin of s/field...pity you can't get the daystate selects:(

8. NarkyMark

NarkyMark New Member

Club:
    TAWD VALE
    New type on left old type on right....

[​IMG]

I bought a sleeve from the new batch and had much the same problems as mentioned already, 2 whole mildots lower at 55yrds, so the BC of a house brick past 45yrds....:eek:

They are slightly longer too....

I managed to send my batch back and source the old syle RWS/AA's.....Something to note, a mate of mate has just purchased a new tin of AA's and to his horror they are also the same pellet again as the new RWS's...So if you rely on the old AA/RWS pellet i'd get sourcing them as soon as you can, because soon the old style will be obsolete........;)

9. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Hi guys forget the RWS, identical batch numbers/bar codes, reveal totally different pellets. Tried a few of the shiny ones in the pic...horrific!:(
    Try the 4.51's :)

10. WHIZZER

WHIZZER Member

they look like h&n ftt pellets:confused:

11. ikarma70

ikarma70 New Member

Nah,too long in the skirt i reckon for FTT's

12. Anon

Anon Non member

Tested some of those a month or two ago, we found they dropped approx 3 inch more at 55 yards compared with JSB / normal superfields.

Didn't know they were going into prioduction / resale.

regards,

Matt

13. Greenwing

Greenwing New Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Thanks for the "heads up"

Just gone out and got more of the "original" Superfields from my local shop.

It took me ages to find that they were the best through my Mk4, I tried JSBs, AirArms, Daystates and loads of others several times but Superfields always gave the best grouping for me. Can't say I'm too happy about the change.
    Why would they change the mould/lead when there was nothing wrong with the old one?

Any chance this could be a temporary thing? (asking hopefully)

14. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    hmm... rumours were that the fields were JSB but they were going to start making them themselves... dunno... just stuff you hear.

15. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

Rob

Superfields are the only pellet that RWS do not make themselves - as you say, they are a JSB clone

I have the older batch and I am well happy with their groups - looks like the new ones may not be so good - that will be my excuse, and not the tricky wind at Shugborough at the weekend!!!! :D

16. Anon

Anon Non member

Phil,

The ones I and a few others tested were as accurate, if not a tad tighter than the jsb's, unfortunately this was at the detriment of drop. However in .22 there was no difference in drop until well beyond the reccomended range for hunting.

This info was fed back to the manufacturer.

Hopefully the latest pellets have slipped into the public domain rather than they be the new version of this pellet.

regards,

Matt

17. ikarma70

ikarma70 New Member

well as of this afternoon i have gone back to AA Fields 4.52mm.

tried setting my dialling in marks on my turret and couldnt get a decent grouping after my barrel was cleaned and leaded in so i opened the AA Fields i acquired from a good mate that i inspected last night(86 duff out of 500 isnt bad),focussed in at 35yard,aimed at 1 mark on the 35 yard ranging/zero plate and get pellet mark on pellet mark for the 1st 5 aa fields fired so i got all my marks sorted after rezeroing.

I then put the next few pellets through a .5'' hole on the 55 yard ranging plate...gave my mate the bad superfields and told him not to mix them up with his,ok for leading his barrel up at some point.

The batch info of these AA's is 02 7.7..2009 4.52mm S6 03

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  18. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

Cheers for the heads up mate - lets hope the new ones are good - if not may be AA Fields

19. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Notice the pip on the LH (new type) pellet. This was a problem with Superdomes 20+ yr ago. It was found that if this pip or spur is rubbed or polished off on a course cloth accuracy is improved. The pip must affect air stability or cause eccentricity when spun by rifling.

Cant imagine RWS, one of the largest ammunition manufacturers in the world are sourcing airgun pellets from a small Chezk manufacturer with all their resources. To much of a climb down I would think. Just a pity they cant supply a decent FT pellet to match the JSB range.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  20. NarkyMark

NarkyMark New Member

Club:
    TAWD VALE
    I found that this came off quite easily when rubbed with the thumb....I just put it down to excess wire and lack of QC....But I dunno, I do know they where terrible with and without the nipple on though.....