Rusty barrel

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by 5teve L, Mar 6, 2014.

1. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    What is the best way to polish the inside of a barrel ?

I took my barrel & cylinder off the pro target to be nickel plated, when there I specifically said that NO WATER must get inside either, he said no problem, we'll plug the ends up, now he was very confident that nothing would get inside as I said I won't have it done if it was going to :rolleyes:
    Went in today & there is evidence of rust just inside on the threads in the cylinder & ends of the barrel. I got home & polished the barrel with autosol & patches, then oil to finish, the cylinder I cleaned up & oiled, still not sure if I will use that though :(

Is there anything else I can use if the barrel is crap ?
    Bloody annoyed with the platers though :mad:

2. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    IF

you might be lucky if it is just a smigin of rust . but if there is any pitting throw it away . it is gone there is nothing you can do for pitting . it will affect the pellet as it goes up the barrel and strip lead off , which will build up . accuracy gone . if you give it a real good clean it will be all right for a few shots and then get worse and worse . like i say you might be lucky . if the barrel is off . plug one end , fill it with WD40 then plug the other end . leave for 24 hours and then pull through to clean . then just shoot it and see . if it gets worse as it goes . chuck it ??? HOLLY:mad:

3. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    barrel polishing

it might be a good idea to talk with the benchrest shooting boys as some of these guys polish the barrel, they are looking for total performance.

4. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Hi Steve, as Holly says, if there is pitting it will collect lead, the accuracy will not be there and you will get flyers when the build up of lead sticks to a pellet. I had 3 walther barrels ruined by a company inexperienced with gun barrels attempting to blue them before I used Colin, I tried to salvage them, I spent hours polishing the best one to salvage just one of them but they all ended up in the bin. on the bright side many barrels are made from very good steels which don't rust easily, and a little surface staining should not have hurt it and polish out.
    As for the cylinder, again if there is pitting it will be weakend but it would need to be in board of the cylinder end seal and too bad to polish out to render it scrap.

5. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Steve, i would try a VFG kit with the intensive felts and polishing paste (blue). It's a pity you're so far as you coud have borrowed mine.

6. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Thanks for the replies, teach me for trying to be 'bling' won't it. :D
    I'll put it back together & test it, fingers crossed. Failing that I'll have to get a CZ barrel machined to fit... which might not be a bad thing.
    I might get some polish to see if it helps as well as it does have quite a tight choke.

7. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    Vfg

Hi Steve

are you going to North Oxon this Sunday? If you are I'll bring my VFG rod and blue paste and you can give it a scrub.

Monty

8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Top man...............:D

9. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Thanks for the kind offer, sadly I'm not. I have ordered a vfg kit & have found somewhere that sells the paste so will try that.
    thanks again.

10. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Clean

I have found that Autosol works fine , bit messy but so are they all . very fine paste . i used to do my GC2 barrel with it at the end of every season when i used prems pellets . the carrear rifle importer used to sell their barrels for £ 55 posted a while back . good barrels with no choke , which works well with quality pellets . needs machining though . bloke selling a anschutz barrel over on the BBS ??? HOLLY:)

11. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    No problem, hope it goes well. Got mine from Intershoot, the paste will probably become a family heirloom, it goes a very long way and I only use it as a last resort. I don't think it's something you should use too often by all accounts.

Maybe see you at the Bisley presentation shoot.

Monty

12. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Cheers Holly, they don't let me over on the BBS though :eek::D

13. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Yes mate they chucked me off as

14. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Try pile cream first, I once had a rusty sheriffs badge and it worked wonders on it.:D

15. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Hey

The badge or your piles ??? HOLLY:):cool:

PS talking of piles , how is Woody i wonder ?:eek: