UKAHFT Rules Update

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by Sparky, Aug 24, 2015.

1. A458

A458 Member

Club:
    Nomads
    I totally agree that there should be a level playing field (no pun intended), in that all participants can shoot to the best of their ability and not be subject to any form of constraint from one sided shots at the peg and nicks, notches etc, this was not the case last weekend and has initiated this debate.

James, I was totally unaware that a similar scenario had occurred last year and was replicated, perhaps more enforced clarification is provided for course setters giving all the opportunity to compete equally.

Bearing in mind the safety aspect, the idea of shooting any target below 8 yards, be it horizontal or vertical is plain stupid and could cause injury to fellow shooters should the pellet rebound. I value my sight.

Also we must also take account of the phenomenon that is the movement of the great ball (Sun) across the sky past any targets, as again happened in the afternoon session, this I understand caused competitors to be shielding the scope whilst trying to find the target and shooting towards the Sun, retina issues abound!!

2. Rift

Rift "Agent"

Club:
    M.A.D
    I get the feeling this is one of those debates that will go on and on.

Sparky has clarified 2 issues that he was approached over from the day 1 course:

Supported positionals only being shootable from one side.

"Supported positional shots (Standing and Kneeling lanes) must be able to be taken either side of the support and suit all heights, whether it is a post or a tree etc."

High angle elevated shots that can cause discomfort or aggravate injury's:

"Until further notice all elevated shots that are either 15mm, 20mm & 25mm cannot be closer than 20 yards and must have an 18†peg."

Whatever we all think as left / right handed shooters, young, old, injured or fit and healthy he has tried to ensure courses are fair and safe.

As one of the 2 shooters who go around the course to "vet", his statement helps me to try to keep the playing field level, and make the competition about shooting ability and skill, and not flexibility and which shoulder you support the rifle from.
    It also clarifies the issue to course setters (the people who give up their time freely so we can enjoy a competitive days sport) so hopefully people wont want to "burn them at the stake" for setting 1 or 2 targets in a course of 30 that they don't like !!

Alex :cool:

bow and vangard like this.
  3. handbylt

handbylt New Member

Club:
    TCom.hft+Kingsley HFT
    Well said Alex..on all counts

4. handbylt

handbylt New Member

Club:
    TCom.hft+Kingsley HFT
    Does that include the chrono too:shot:

5. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    yes ,whatever you mean by that

6. handbylt

handbylt New Member

Club:
    TCom.hft+Kingsley HFT
    I mean and agree with exactly what you said.."in favour of any rules that make for a fair shoot for all"

7. handbylt

handbylt New Member

Club:
    TCom.hft+Kingsley HFT
    Dont do PM's mr wilson, however, I would have thought my previous post fully explains the first one regarding my "chrono comment"....and that is that I absolutely agree with you in that rules should be in place to ensure everyone gets a fair shoot, and as you agreed in your post, that includes the chrono.

8. Kubajzz

Kubajzz New Member

Is the rule about "elevated shots" included in UKHFT rules at this moment?
    Or where can I find last version of UKHFT rules what will apply on Worlds in Kelmarsh next year?

9. Fatsnapper

Fatsnapper experiendum durius

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Will the intended new rules be applied to the world championship competition too???

10. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Hi both

yes these are still in place and most likely be still in at the Worlds

Pete

11. Kubajzz

Kubajzz New Member

12. silvergould

silvergould New Member

Club:
    duchy
    what is this fasination with prone shooting and not allowing shooting from bag ,excludes a lot of people who have had open heart surgery who cant lay prone ,you would get a lot more entrys if you allowed sitting

13. gordon&jo

gordon&jo Member

Club:
    cambridge hft
    You can sit on a bag if you want to shoot field target.

MickyFinn and vangard like this.
  14. silvergould

silvergould New Member

Club:
    duchy
    you can shoot of a bag in swefta hft .when i shoot in the field i use a bag ,i thought it was a hunting version oft ie no rangeing and limited optics , seems like if you can lay down or not ha

15. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Some people shoot out of a land rover when they're hunting too.

dlloyduk and MickyFinn like this.
  16. vangard

vangard Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT and Lea Valley airgun club
    I used to use a hide when hunting, I cant see them letting me use it at the club though.

Brian.Samson and MickyFinn like this.
  17. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    If you build it well enough, they won't know ;)

hmmm.. where's peg 24 gone? there's just this square looking bush there now..

MickyFinn and vangard like this.
  18. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    At silvergould, in HFT a shooter does have the option to shoot at most of the targets standing, kneeling or prone (unless I have missunderstood the rules?).

19. skires

skires Well-Known Member

The name Hunter Field Target has caused some controversy over the years. It is not simulated hunting. Shooters are required to take shots in HFT that a responsible hunter would not take in the field at live quarry. It was started as a complete alternative to Field Target that gave no advantage to having expensive high mag scopes that could be used to range, or having heavily customised stocks. So aimed at kit that was probably commonly used for hunting and probably aimed at plinkers/hunters that didn't want to pay out for expensive rifles/stocks/scopes to have a decent chance at Field Target ... they could just use what rifles/scopes they plinked or hunted with and do very well at Hunter Field Target. The kit has evolved over the years but the basics that made it different to, as opposed to a slightly different version of, Field Target have remained ... No scope adjustments, no sitting, limits on depths of stock and no stock adjustments etc.

The main position was prone, as opposed to sitting in FT. This gave a stable stance ( either low down prone or using the peg ) so that new shooters or youngsters could take part and do reasonably well right from the start. Most shooters will find that shooting sitting, off a bag, FT style can take a year or two before they are getting consistently good results.

Some regions, so as to not exclude some members from their local clubs, have adapted the UKAHFT official version of HFT and allow shooters to use the FT sitting on a bag method. There will be other local variations regarding target distances etc.

As a National body and sport Hunter Field Target needed to keep it's own identity and not just become Field Target 2, which a lot of people originally forecast that it would do. So I believe it has been correct in keeping it's main position as prone and not allowing the FT sitting ( on a bag ) option to be used. That is unfortunate for those shooters that would like to shoot National HFT comps and, for health reasons, are restricted to sitting and cannot shoot prone. As mentioned above most 'prone' ( non positional ) shots can be taken kneeling or standing. These shooters do have the option to shoot Field Target or are fortunate that their region allows sitting in it's Hunter Field Target shoots.

I apologise for posting in the HFT section but I feel the above points are relevant to people asking why they can't shoot sitting or relating the name 'Hunter' to real life hunting in the field.