UKAHFT Rules Update

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by Sparky, Aug 24, 2015.

1. DaveTV

DaveTV Member

Club:
    Who knows....
    I'm not keen on the rule change/clarification regarding positional shots, that's a backwards step and a poor decision. It's basically pandering to those that can only shoot (or practice) in one position, which in my opinion is taking some of the challenge and fun out of the sport.

I'm all for only being able to shoot from one side of the peg, tree, post etc, as I would think are the majority of other shooters. I only ever hear the minority complain about that. In regards to the supported stander from which this has arose I actually thought it was a refreshing idea, but failed on execution due to uneven ground.

There were more serious issues with that particular course, ie, nearly having my feet shot by the peg next to me! And the placement of targets with the sun directly behind them, I like my retinas still attached to my eyeballs personally. Simple mistakes that could have easily been avoided.

2. MTA

MTA Member

Club:
    MAD
    perhaps we need a sign to say shoot of the wrong side of the tree, although it would seem easier to just balance a one sided target with an opposite sided peg or tree later on the coarse.

3. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

If you'd had a bad back, kneck, arthritis, lordosis, slipped disc, sciatica, whiplash, or ankylosing spondylitis or a whole number of other conditions you wouldnt be so flippant.

Where's Molly likes this.
  4. verminator

verminator New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    So in principle, it is possible to set up a target 1 yard forward of the line and 13 yards up a tree. So long as it is still possible to see the kill zone. Make it prone only :eek:

5. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    I bet he would ;) sorry James:D
    though If one has all them conditions may I suggest ..Chess ?

6. A458

A458 Member

Club:
    Furnace Mill
    NO, the rules clearly state that the minimum distance for a 15mm target is 13 yards away from the peg, this is based on horizontal distance, not vertical.:eek:o

7. verminator

verminator New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Possibility of taking the shot either side is in fairness to left-handed shooters, who have had a rough deal for some time. Lefties are in the minority but IMO, we should try to make the rules as fair as we can for everybody.

I think complaints about this issue is what led to kneelers and standers becoming unsupported in the "Masters" series. Only that doesn't help me because I don't do kneelers and taking all kneelers unsupported leads to a 3 point disadvantage.

8. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Where does it clearly state that in the rules?

9. stu180101

stu180101 Member

I don t think it was just the supported stander where the target was only viewable from the RH side of the tree; there was also a supported kneel/stand lane which was not left handed shooter friendly (as the target could not be seen from the RH side of the tree, all left handed shooters were forced to shoot from the LH side of the tree, which is obviously an unnatural stance for them).

Maybe, as there was one supported lane which enforced an unnatural stance for RH shooters and one supported lane which enforced an unnatural stance for LH shooters, you could reason things were evened out – but is this actually the case.

I.e. if the enforced supported stander only viewable from the RH side was situated at lane # 1 and another target only viewable from the LH side was situated at lane 28; in a countback situation the LH shooter (Tugg for example? Sorry bud :D) would have an advantage because lane # 1 would enable a more natural stance for them – and vice versa, if lane # 1 was right handed shooter friendly.

In short - whist I guess left handed peeps are used to being the minority, my preference is for LH and RH shooters to be able to shoot supported lanes from the side of the support they would naturally use if they had the option – then the outcome at supported lanes is not weighted dependent upon whether you re a lefty or a righty, its simply based on your shooting ability. :shot:

10. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Shooting positions

Hello,

The same happened last year at Maldon.I am sure the course setters at MAD were told about this after their double header last year. They must have decided not to take the advice/feedback on board and persisted disadvantaging left hand shooters on their courses this year.

Regards

11. A458

A458 Member

Club:
    Furnace Mill
    Agreed, whilst it does not state horizontal, I defy any course setter to place a target 45 yards vertically, which your logic intimates, please use common sense, or the briefing is always stated "do not look through YOUR scope at a ceasefire", this could let you look through your shooting partners, perhaps the wording should be altered to ANY scope, again common sense.:eek:o

12. Sharpe

Sharpe Semper fidelis

Club:
    Maldon
    Don't think you would then be looking at a 15mm kz or anything close to it :D :)

13. jedi020

jedi020 Red Dwarf

Club:
    Dunfermline Arc .... Juniper Green Arc
    Needs a like button on here :) ...

It's hard to please everyone, setters job isn't going to be any easier, taking every know ailment into consideration.

Maybe I'm just one of those types that like variety throw in on a Sunday, it keeps me on my toes, so I'm with tugg...

14. stu180101

stu180101 Member

Some people clearly don t realise/notice how awkward some targets can be for a LH shooter, a Junior, or those less physically able - until they re actually shooting with them (or perhaps they simply don t care).

• Some trees used for supported standers at Nationals have big notches which have no impact on the average size adult – yet said notch is exactly where a Juniors gun/scope (and Tugg s;)) rests against the tree.
    • Others have had notches on one side of the tree which have no impact on a RH shooter, but clearly get in the way of a LH shooter (and vice versa).
    • Steeply elevated, close range targets cause those less physically able than most to be in pain for the rest of the course, and for some the remainder of the weekend, if not longer.
    It will always be difficult for National course setters to ensure they cover all eventualities in their attempts to ensure courses are fair to all (including juniors, lefties and the less physically able, etc.), rather than just suitable for the majority - whilst still providing a UKAHFT National standard course.

My concern is, if we don t adopt a common sense approach and ‘draw a line in the sand now, the elevated shots will get more extreme and the enforced supported positional shots more awkward than is needed [maybe this is why Roger and Ian chose to drop them in favour of unsupported standers for the HFT Masters?] – the result being a message to lefties, juniors and those that are physically less able than the majority, which basically says put up or shut up, or choose another sport (such as chess :eek:o) simply because they re in the minority.

Note: whilst the comments in this thread regarding supported shots and steeply elevated close range shots originated following Saturdays course at MAD, my comments are not specific, they re a general observation having shot many courses over the years with one side only positional supports which did not provide an equal playing field; and after seeing more and more steeply elevated close range shots coming in over the last 2-3 years (obviously they re also just my personal opinion).

15. jedi020

jedi020 Red Dwarf

Club:
    Dunfermline Arc .... Juniper Green Arc
    Maybe this might help buddy :D:cool: pass it on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  16. Old slider

Old slider Member

Club:
    Mad
    Well done mad

Weren't the 2 courses vetted by 2 experienced shooters,who obviously
    Thought they were alright!!thats good enough for me,anyway who would
    Have thought those yoga lessons would have paid off in hft:D:D
    Thinking about it if anyone's not happy why not take up FT and
    Sit on your arse all day!!!!!
    Is this you pete :eek:o:eek:o:eek:o. :D:D

17. verminator

verminator New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    The target may be designed to present the full face of the target when mounted near vertical. Spring-loaded designs permit this. I have seen one mounted near vertical at Mile Oak once.

Vertical is in fact "away" from the peg. It was a simple enough question, I wasn't expacting such a debate over it. Just good to know from the rangefinding (using the rules) perspective.

18. tugg

Club:
    springfield and mad
    I shot lane 1 off the left side I thought it more suited the right hand shooter,infact I shot 3 of the 4 kneelers over that weekend off the left side but there you go, when I started hft I soon realized I was getting stuffed on pegs which were not suitable for lefties so I learnt and practice to shoot off both sides of a tree or peg in every position.
    I should note whilst I helped Dop and Vinny with course setting I didn't have any input as to where targets were placed on day 1other than the 45yd supersized rat through the bushes .
    It is interesting though how it takes one supported stander that can't be taken from the left side to cause such concern , I suggest to all you righty shooters if you havn't already tried ,practice shooting off the other side because it actually offers better support once you get it nailed.
    btw I'm in favour of any rules that make for a fair shoot for all.

19. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    My take on it, I've got bad knees, elbow, back & REALLY crap eyesight in my right eye BUT I compete against much more able bodied opponents with better eyesight. That is MY CHOICE. If courses become homogeneous or course setters have too many rules to work to they will become a bit same old, same old??? I enjoy the challenge of shooting something new & devious every weekend. :D:p:cool:

Ps
    I shot a target at Oldham once that was so steep it ruined my neck for over 3 weeks after BUT I still went back for more. :rolleyes:

20. tugg

Club:
    springfield and mad
    as a shortarst lefty I couldn't agree more