UKAHFT Rules Update

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by Sparky, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Chuffing hell - that's a good pun Vinny! :)

2. simmmo

simmmo New Member

My maths is rubbish and my trajectory plotting probably worse but surely a steeply angled close target, with in fairness proably a battered swaged in 15mm hole that is nearer 14mm or less, in reality when measured on a horizontal plain, is in fact nowhere near 15mm and presents a much smaller aperture to the competitor when measured at the acute angle at which it is presented to the shooter as the pellet will not be able to contact the bottom of the paddle as it is physically impossible for the pellet to contact it?(equally 20mm when set at their minimum). Doesn't this make it an illegal target anyway regardless of the comfort factor????

Monkey.

3. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Pete

When it comes to go in the rules it may be better to just say kills of 25mm or less. I know it's common sense, but as clubs now use targets with non standard plates and kill sizes, it will stop the clever lads from saying this target has a 17mm kill so doesn't fall into that rule.

Good luck

Col

4. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    well said on that

totally agree , I'm sure we've all had a few shots where more thought has gone into making it uncomfortable to shoot than making the target challenging , laying across roots and stumps is rubbish , we have all made a few errors , but some seem a bit obvious sometimes , as Sparky says this is about common sense , bear in mind its up to the clubs to determine the level of sense at their events , and obviously nationals will be vetted anyway

5. Wheelieneilie

Wheelieneilie Member

Club:
    MAD
    Neck breakers

So apart from common sence, what will stop a course layer putting out a level shot from peg to taget and having the ground immediately behind the peg at 40 degress up hill so your feet are above your head on a prone only shot. If something like this is not covered in a new rule the eventually so over eager course setter will set a neck break that still falls under a possible new rule.
    Neil Wakelin

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  6. jedi020

jedi020 Red Dwarf

Club:
    Dunfermline Arc .... Juniper Green Arc
    Don't Vinny !!, Dave is only thinking of himself :rolleyes:, brackets KZ's and plates to death, hates unusual hit size and odd shaped targets, doesn't practice elevated most likely too ?? Nice guy though:)

7. jedi020

jedi020 Red Dwarf

Club:
    From a course setters perspective and I'm sure most would agree Neil, range trapping rates higher than making the shooter contort themselves at the peg, although there is a club in Scotland that seems to adopt the latter, when things like that happen it's just lack of imagination or just being plain lazy on a Saturday before the comp..

I agreed with Vinny at the weekend, 4-5 weeks of time spent at the club seems to yield success post shoot...

8. hammerthief

hammerthief Member

Club:
    MISFITS!!!!!
    The MAJORITY of competitors are asking for something to be done? A bit of a sweeping statment isn't it? How many asked and how many competitors are shooting HFT?

While i don't object to the rule, I think it is poorly written and a kneejerk reaction to look as if something is being done.

All this rule will do is cause trouble and fights between competitors and course setters until it is written properly. Asking for common sense is all well and good until someone has lost by a point and then it just goes out of the window....

We want to encourage people to shoot HFT, have more venues more with course setters, but if it looks like a whole load of trouble is likely to come because of the rules then I can see people walking away.

9. madplinker

madplinker Member

Thank you Vinny for agreeing with me common sense rules will make the shooting more enjoyable for all shooters at the peg. HFT is for everyone young and old boys n girls left or right handed shooters and some shooters with disabilities as well etc make it fair at the peg for all were no one is in a back or neck breaking position. At the target end make it hard as you like to confuse and baffle shooters via killzones face plates etc.

lol James (jedi) I have been shooting for a long time mate also Dunfermline as woods as you know so i am ok with elevated shots lol

I think we all can agree i have shot at the worlds past two years both courses fantastic both years and all easy at the peg. I also shot at Rivi this year same great course no problems at the peg it was the wind that caught people out there.

So hope common sense rules the day this will make it more enjoyable for all and the number of competitors will grow not decline more shooters means more competition which is a good thing in my book.

Like most things there will be some teething problems but things will iron out for the better.

:):):):):):):):):):):):)

All round mister nice guy lol lol lol :):):):):)

10. verminator

verminator New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    I welcome the rule that positional shots must be able to be taken either side of the support and suit all heights. One would think this is common sense too, but we have all seen supported kneelers you can't take standing etc.

However, the distance contraints on elevated shots won't stop certain course setters from setting up neck-breaking targets, they will just puth them up higher. I like the close-range elevated shots, the aim points seem to defy physics.

What made the one at UKAHFT R6 particularly bad was the fact that right-handed people were facing downhill and the lane was marked as prone only (I was consiedering taking it standing). People without a palm shelf couldn't support their rifles properly. And for afternon shooters, the sun was right behind the taget.

Perhaps a limit on angle should be considered. 45 degrees anyone?

11. Rift

Rift "Agent"

Club:
    M.A.D
    I think you will find that supported kneelers do not have to be set to be taken standing.

Alex

12. vinny

Club:
    M.A.D
    I would be suprised if that were the case Alex as there is no kneel only sign , people who couldnt kneel would be in trouble , and I, m suprised how many of them that opt to stand, also thinking about it if you couldnt stand it you would probably hit your head on something after getting up , so it would be a safety consideration ?
    Another one for the Petes, sorry lads ,

13. simmmo

simmmo New Member

All kneelers must be shootable standing but not necessarily supported. So a supported kneeler say on a low tree stump can be shot supported kneeling but probably only free standing. Thats why the sign is kneel or stand as you cant force someone to kneel. Though I do try.

Monkey.

14. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Supported Kneeling/standing shots have never required a support for people wishing to take them standing, it's great if you have a tree for a support but if you use a pallet or hay bale they standing shooters must take them unsupported. I had to do the same in 2012 when I'd hurt my knee & couldn't kneel

15. vinny

Club:
    M.A.D
    Good point Simmo and Pete, wish I had known that for Sunday , missed a trick there

16. A458

A458 Member

Club:
    Furnace Mill
    The issue we encountered at R6 last weekend with regard to the placement and elevation of the targets has been addressed by Sparky following numerous participants enquiring of the distance and angle. Pete has issued a positive response and this has been enquired, as he used 15mm,20mm & 25mm, which if changed to less than 25mm would cover the problem.
    I have thought that if the angle issue is used, both up and down, from the level, then the following will be of assistance to us all:
    Yards Maximum Height Hypotenuse Distance
    8 4.62 yards (13.86 feet) 9.24 yards
    13 7.51 yards (22.53 feet) 15.01 yards
    25 14.43 yards (43.29 feet) 28.87 yards
    30 Degrees

8 6.71 yards (20.13 feet) 10.44 yards
    13 10.91 yards (32.73 feet) 16.97 yards
    25 20.98 yards (62.94 feet) 32.64 yards
    40 Degrees

8 8 yards (24 feet) 11.31 yards
    13 13 yards (39 feet) 18.38 yards
    25 25 yards (75 feet) 35.36 yards
    45 Degrees

I for one do not anticipate course setters climbing anywhere near these extremes but it will help us to know of the maximum elevated heights that can be used.
    anywhere near these extremes but it will help us to know of the maximum elevated heights that can be used.
    Perhaps Pete would make definitive rules based upon these calculations.
    Glad to be of assistance.

Ian

17. verminator

verminator New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    One thing I have always wondered about with elevated shots, is the 13yard distance for 15mm kills.

Is that 13 yards horizontal or 13 yards diagonal?

18. Rift

Rift "Agent"

Club:
    M.A.D
    Your welcome :rolleyes:

19. jedi020

jedi020 Red Dwarf

Club:
    Don't think anyone has broke there back or neck in hft dave, and darc hasn't had what I'd consider elevated target either.

20. Sharpe

Sharpe Semper fidelis

Club:
    Maldon
    Minimum of 13yds from peg to target!