UKAHFT Rules Update

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by Sparky, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Hi all

Until further notice all elevated shots that are either 15mm, 20mm & 25mm cannot be closer than 20 yards and must have an 18†peg.

Also regarding supported positional shots (Standing and Kneeling lanes) must be able to be taken either side of the support and suit all heights, whether it is a post or a tree etc.

UKAHFT

2. hammerthief

hammerthief Member

Club:
    MISFITS!!!!!
    At what point does a shot become elevated? Anything higher than the base of the post??

3. stu180101

stu180101 Member

Good news, especially for the less flexible amongst us (and the over 57s :eek::p) - its supposed to be a test of shooting ability, not a fitness test.

Some of us suffer the consequences of attempting anti aircraft shots for days afterwards (especially if the lanes are allocated as 'prone only').

Another good call and about time too). :lev

4. hammerthief

hammerthief Member

Club:
    MISFITS!!!!!
    Yes, but the rule is too vague. A measurement or angle is required otherwise people are going to be calling any target that is even 1 degree upwards as that is an elevated shot. Rules should be written so there is no room for shooters to take advantage and we all know there are those that will.

5. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Well meaning we only brought this in today, I haven't had chance to climb a tree yet and looking into it further;)

For now it's a common sense thing until we do

Pete

6. hammerthief

hammerthief Member

Club:
    MISFITS!!!!!
    While I quite understand that it's common sense but try using common sense argument when someone has just lost by a point and wants a target pulled because they say it's elevated.
    Bring out rules when they have been thought through properly, it saves arguments.

7. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Electronic protractors will be banned shortly ;)

[​IMG]

8. simmmo

simmmo New Member

Think it is pretty clear that it is being asked that a commonsense aproach be adopted, we all know its intention is to avoid people travelling hundreds of miles to shoots and then be faced with targets they find physically challenging to an extent that may result in old injuries being inflamed thus making it uncomfortable for them to complete the rest of the course. So lets just be sensible and put targets out that don't cripple people at angles that are comfortable for people to shoot without breaking.

Also agree with the supported shots rule clarification.

Monkey.

Where's Molly likes this.
  9. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    Kin ell:eek: ,thats rich coming from you :D:p

10. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    I was looking at the Emley Moor bank on Saturday thinking the last time I shot up there to a high target, you could lie on the bank facing uphill and there'd be no neck strain. A high angle target can still be done without making it a strain for people ;)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  11. simmmo

simmmo New Member

Just think you should disguise them to look like prone shots.

Monkey

12. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    like that really uncomortable prone 13 yarder you put out for us poor lefties at the sihft. my backs never been the same since , still got it down :p:D

13. blackscale

blackscale Member

Now i know so many hate them, i'm gonna set all the pegs facing downhill and the targets level....:D:D
    I do think some people make hard work of 'tree shots' tbh, i often see people lying directly behind the peg..breaking their necks, when lying to the side makes it just as easy to miss....:rolleyes::D:D
    Nothing to stop you taking them kneeling...well not usually..:D
    One thing i will say is, tree shots can make people wave their rifles around a bit too much!

14. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    So thats where you were using that protractor,blimey thats dedication for you , aerial maps and protractors:D
    Getting the heads up for the last national round eh;)

15. jedi020

jedi020 Red Dwarf

Club:
    Dunfermline Arc .... Juniper Green Arc
    I've no problem with elevated targets, my club juniper green has a wealth of trees with lovely vee's in them, and myself and Greg use them, now we've had complaints from shooters that struggle with what I consider a valid shooting scenario, positioning for taking these really is key, but in the most count it comes down also to not understanding rifle mans rules, after they plate said target ...

I'll just need to find some other way of tripping up shooters until the temp rule is refined..

16. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    At Emley moor they occasionally have steep downhill shots too, these are MUCH easier on the neck & back muscles! :D

17. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    This reminds me of the first Midlands round at Lincs when I slipped on the mud when kneeling leaning backwards, shooting on a very steep uphill tree shot, and went A over T backwards. :eek::eek::eek::eek: That was an extreme angle!!!

I did get up and recover to drop the target luckily, after feeling like a right idiot. To be fair it was the mud that had developed as the ground had become more worn with the number of shooters, but it could have been dangerous.

It's not easy for course setters to make it technical and interesting, and also safe and non discriminating for all ages,shapes and abilities. :cool:

18. MTA

MTA Member

Club:
    MAD
    Seems the only think this will achieve is the introduction of longer ladders to put the targets high enough to comply.

Would be better to wait till the competition is over at the end of the season and then introduces changes that are properly thought through.

19. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    No, not when you have majority of competitors asking can we do something about it, we like to think we listen to shooters and do things instantly like we have done in the past.

Pete

Where's Molly likes this.
  20. madplinker

madplinker Member

I agree with these new rules. Shooting at the peg should be easy for everyone young and old left or right handed shooters and short or tall shooters etc. Common sense rules but some people do lack this sometimes. At the target end this should be hard though by using odd size kill zones also odd size face plates and covering hinge part to prevent bracketing etc using the lay of the ground and trying to get range traps also in thier as well. :):):):):):):)