Rules or etiquette

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by ray, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ray

ray New Member

Hi All
    As I can't see anything in the rules I have a hypothetical question.
    Can anybody jump from shooting lane to another or must the course be shot in sequence. :confused:
    i.e lane 1,2,3 etc.
    Cheers Ray

2. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I'd say it depends on the competition and the situation really.

Couple of examples - a lane with 2 shooters on it, caught behind a lane with 3 really slow shooters, with a big gap developing after them. In that situation I have in the past shot the next lane, then shot the lane the slow group were shooting on then flipping onto the lane after the slow group to overtake them.

Another example is if you're starting on lane 2 or 3 and there's a long walk back to the first lane - If you're waiting around for the group in front of you to take their shot and you suspect they're going to be slow, it's perfectly fine to nip in and shoot the 1st two lanes so you don't have to walk all the way back to them when you finish the last lane. I've seen this done in a BFTA GP this season.

So long as it's done to help speed things along and not done to gain any sort of advantage . I guess strictly speaking the lanes should be shot in order, but only a real jobsworth would complain if it's to help get the competition flowing better.

3. ray

ray New Member

Cheers Brian :)

4. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

Hi ray
    You dont say if you are asking about FT or HFT,dunno about HFT
    The BFTA compitition shoot rules state that targets must be shot in numerical order (or words to that effect)otherwise the could be an advantage to be had
    2 scenarious spring to mind
    in the first shooters on lane 3 shoot thier lane and go back to shoot lanes 1 and 2 ,lane 1 55yds and 53 yds,lnae 2 40yd and 45 kneelers ,nice bright dry day with absolutley no wind ,straight down the middle and ovr they go.Hour later the heavens open and we get a nice force 6 blowing ,lane 1 and 2 aint a gimme anymore so a clear advantage was obtianed

in a second situation, shooters get to another lane same distances as abovve and same weather,s*dthis thet decide we will come back when that nice clear weather wecan see coming is here ,agian another advantage .Niot to mention the resulting bunching when othe rgrpups of shooters queue for the lane s

5. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    The argument of potential advantage doesn't really hold water as far as I'm concerned.

For instance, going back to shoot lanes 1 and 2 gives you no more advantage than someone would have had if they'd started on lane 1. Also you could argue that a person starting on lane 1 would have the advantage over someone starting on lane 2 because the person on lane 2 has to walk the entire length of the course before shooting lane 1 and this will increase their heart rate.

It's swings and roundabouts, but at the end of the day we do this for fun - it's not the Olympics or anything and there's no money at stake at the end of it.

I've watched some very well known AA grade shooters shoot lane 1 when they started on lane 2, to save themselves a long walk back at the end of the shoot. This was in a couple of BFTA Grand Prix this season - yes technically it's against the rules, but I don't have a problem with it and I'm sure they gained no real advantage over anyone else as a result.

6. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    There was a situation on Sunday at the nationals where a group of shooters started on a lane (15) with a gap of 4 lanes behind them.

They shot there lane (15) and then went back to 11, 12, 13, 14( this is because the group infront of them was a 3 and were fairly slow.) This is ok as they are shot in sequence. What we can't have is someone shouting 5 then 10 then 8.

Gary

7. ray

ray New Member

In a HFT competition :)

8. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

dunno then

9. Ralphsputin

Ralphsputin New Member

Shooting out of order

In 2 HFT shoots recently that I've been in this came up. One I was marshalling at and a shooter supervising a junior and sharing a rifle ran out of air and asked to pop back for a re-fill. I saw no harm so let him but when he came back he was shooting out of order and another shooter queried it and asked if and why I'd allowed it.

Another, this was read out as part of the course rules with the proviso that to shoot out of order all the shooters ahead had to give consent.

I can't see any UKAHFT rule about this anywhere but what is the accepted practice amongst the big boys down South?

:confused:

10. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

There is no hard & fast rule as such, each case is different but in the UKAHFT series you are not allowed to skip lanes & shoot your prefered targets then come back to the ones you've missed.

If however you arrive at your lane to find there are a few lanes spare behind your group then you can approach an official UKAHFT marshal & ask for permission to move back. Persmission may or may not be given depending on whether the marshal thinks you may hold up any shooters behind you.

On occasion a group starting on peg two may be given permission by an official marshal to shoot peg 1 after the first group if there is a very long walk from peg 30 back to peg 1, this again is purely down to the marshals but a persons injuries of disabilities are taken into account.