rule on bottle testing

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by squire49, Jul 23, 2014.

1. squire49

squire49 New Member

Club:
    tayside airgun
    I handed my (under three year old) divers bottle to be filled at my local divers shop when I was told the regulation had changed and the bottles had now to be tested every two and a half years.sorry to sound like a doubting Thomas but can anyone confirm this please thanks in advance

2. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

As far as I was aware if it is a dive bottle that does not have a built in pressure gauge which qualifies it as a surface bottle then it has always been 2 1/2 years, 5 years for a surface bottle.

3. raygun

raygun Non member

As far as I am aware it's a visual check at 2 1/2 years and a full Hydraulic test at 5 years.

If the bottle is "surface use only" then it's the full Hydraulic every 5 years.
    In reality it's whatever the bloke filling it demands.

ATB
    Ray.

4. Fatsnapper

Fatsnapper experiendum durius

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
  5. squire49

squire49 New Member

Club:
    tayside airgun
    thanks very much to all who answered very helpfull

6. para

para New Member

Club:
    Nomad
    It depends, if it can be used as a diving cylinder then it will be tested as a dive cylinder if it can only be used to fill guns then every 5 years.
    It all depends what yolk you are using.
    The standard screw fit air hose fitting can't be used in diving as it won't connect to a divers regulator.

7. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Not sure what you mean here. As far as I'm aware there are only two types of yolk.the 'A' frame whch is 232 / 234 bar and the screw in din type which is 300 bar both used in diving... I have both as I dive as well as shoot.

Lofty

8. para

para New Member

Club:
    Nomad
    Hi Lofty
    The screw in yolks tend to have the pressure gauge on the cylinder and so aren't used for diving as far as I'm aware, this is info I got from the dive shop that if the cylinder can be used for diving then it is tested as such.
    I have a Din fitting which has the pressure gauge attached to the cylinder, if I remember correctly the A Frame cylinders have pressure gauges attached to the hose so the cylinder and can still be attached to a divers regulator.
    Although I'm no expert!!!

Atb
    Matt

9. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Hi,
    I have diving regulators with both 'A' frame and Din fitting (screw in type) neither of which have gauges on.

I think what you meant are the cylinders that come with the gauge as part of the actual valve body these too are available as 'A' frame and Din . Thus the gauge is part of the bottle and not the whip assembly and as such are deemed surface use only and the test period is 5 years for it to have it's hydrostatic test. Cylinders that can be used underwater will be 2 1/2 years for a visual then a hydrostatic test at 5 years.

What you could say is that if your filling whip has a gauge on it then the cylinder it fits can be used for diving if the whip has NO gauge on it then the cylinder it fits is a surface use only one.

The Hydrotech website is good to see the cylinders.

Hope that this clarifies it.

Cheers,
    Lofty

10. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    The dive centre local to me agrees with the 5 year test only for surface use bottles but they also insist on the bottle being clearly marked as "Surface use only".

11. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Same here, the dive centre I use mark them accordingly.

Lofty.

12. clubshot

clubshot Member

My understanding if it's used in Water - It's test ever 2 - 2 1/2 years

Air Gun Valves can not be used in water - So a Five year Test

@ My local Dive Shop - there are several Bottles in various states of being destructed while being filled
    As Diver often run out of air and Moisture get's in Bottle - Resulting in Rust & Weakness

But as proved over the years it Down to what the Filling station is willing to Fill or require to be tested

BOB/R