Ripley XL9 leaking

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by MarkV, Oct 20, 2010.

1. MarkV

MarkV New Member

I have a Ripley XL9 that seems to be leaking air - I can hear a slow leak which seems to be coming from the air cylinder just below where the barrel joins the breech block just in front of the magazine (hope this makes sense ) . Only ever used a diving cylinder to fill it but it has been standing unused in a gun cabinet for a little while
    Anyone got any ideas what this means - will I need to send it back to Ripley or is is something a local decent gun repairer should be able to fix ?

Mark

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. AIRMAX

AIRMAX New Member

Hi there !

I've had the same problem and the good news is that it has a very easy solution. In fact it's just the big o-ring that seals the reservoir tube to the regulator/action. This is an easy to find o-ring but i advice use an NBR90 shore o-ring. It's a long lasting solution and more suitable for high presures.

The best is let Ripley do the job or an experienced gunsmith but if you preffer doing it yourself even though i strongly recomend not, here it goes:

- First empty the air compleatly from the reservoir.
    - Unscrew the allen bolt on the top end of the reservoir to allow removing the muzzle piece that joins both barrel and reservoir.
    - Using a special leather tool to unscrew without scratching ( don't know the name in english) unscrew the reservoir.
    - You will than see the reffered o-ring. Remove it and put a new one.

- By the way, because you have the reservoir exposed, take the time to inspect the inside for aging and corrosion.

You'll be ready for another 4 to 6 years.

Hope that helps.

3. Daveclark

Daveclark New Member

Club:
    Emley F.T.C
    Xl9

I did local dealer once, never again, it worked but not right! Take it to ripley them selves, or Jon ostler near ripley, he used to work for them, I recommend Jon, nice bloke shoots FT, serviced my xl9 and AR5s, that was 5 years ago, still working! Cost about 130 pounds! But well worth it. Jon number is 0115 877 0024.
    Atb dave

4. AIRMAX

AIRMAX New Member

Totally agree...

5. MarkV

MarkV New Member

All sorted by Ripley and working again
    V happy :D:D