Ripley Elite

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Kenny-W, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Kenny-W

Kenny-W New Member

Managed to get my hands on a Ripley Elite.

It's a cool little contender with chunky cylinder and chunky barrell. But everything is light weight alloy so it keeps the overall weight down but improves the feel tremendously of the rifle.

It's a Walnut thumbhole stocked version, Walnut again manages to keep the weight down compared to a heavier beech stocked version. (when drilling the stock to fit the sling studs, i did notice that the drill 'fell' in to the stock after about 1/2". So i presume the stock has been hollowed out also to reduce weight further) Only 6lb without silencer or scope.

It feels nice and very well blanaced even with the Decimeater Silencer fitted. Which is an unbelievable unit. All you hear is the action going off, milled from T606 Billet aluminium helps keep weight down with no compromise on strength.
    Is easily strippable for complete cleaning.

The oversized and chunky Ripley trade mark bolt will bed in nicely but did feel gritty to begin with. Stripped manafacturers grease out and replaced with lupus grease. Seems to make a tremendous difference.
    Another good feature is that the pellet is placed straight into the Lothar Walther barrel. So eliminates any chance of the pellet being damaged whilst pushed forward by the probe.

The stock if anything is possibly a little short as i seem to find a bit of extra arm length not quite knowing where to sit The rifle without silencer is only 35".
    Barrell screw cut for 1/2" UNF.

But cheek piece and eye relief is spot on.
    Trigger is 6 point fully adjustable, out the factory it has a very short first stage and what seems to me a very positive second stage, i feel it needs lightened. But having shot with the Steyr set to a nats fart, maybe i'm just fussy!

At 35 yds bench rested, it was putting AA field 4.52's through the same hole.
    This is a seriously accurate weapon, can't wait to test it up against the Steyr.

factory set at 11.9 ft/lbs it is giving me about 90 very usable shots. With a 200 Bar fill.

http://img529.imageshack.us/i/ripley.jpg/

2. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Lovely bit of kit, I had a go with Ian Hartfords at the MAD UKAHFT round and was very impressed.Like you say very accurate and I found it lovely to shoot straight from the factory.
    I'd love to be able to field trial one to see what it could do over a season at HFT.I've got one on my wish list;):D

Dave

3. Kenny-W

Kenny-W New Member

Update>>>>>>

FOUND A FLAW....

Looks like they have used a HW trigger gaurd, as they have machined the underside to get it to fit over the brass plate that forms part of the trigger.
    Now the trigger is capable of being turned, as it's just attached via an alan bolt.
    But the trigger gaurd is so narrow and even after filing the inner lip back it still wont allow you to turn the blade sufficiently to be of any real benefit.

Secondly on the same issue, out the box i found the 1st stage a bit short, so when i adjusted it i have now found that the trigger gaurd is fitted so far forward that there is not enough clearance to allow the action to fire.(if you look at the piccy of the rifle, you will see how close the trigger blade is to the rear of the gaurd)
    So i will have to live with it until i find another trigger gaurd, or manafacture one. Shame it's the only down sideof a beautifull rifle.
    Seems a shame to have gone to all the trouble of making such a fine trigger unit and not test it with the selected trigger gaurd in place.

Apart from that delighted.

Rgds
    Kenny

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  4. Andy006

Andy006 Member

Lincolnshire & Wrexham & Betws-Gwerfil-Goch
    Hi Kenny,
    Your review made my mind up. I decided to get one. I have been thinking about one for a long time and wanted to buy an all British pcp. I will do a review of mine in a few weeks, but first impressions are good so far and mine came with a match trigger to compliment the fully adjustable mechanism. I like it. I went to the factory and chose a stock too, preferred a darker walnut to the usual lighter versions. I really do like traditional wooden stocked air rifles and the new Ripley Elite is just right for me. It handles and shoots very much like my GML.:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  5. philc

philc Member

Have to agree with most of above had mine now for about 2 months and i,m very pleased shoots like a dream and handles great
    I know what you mean about trigger hitting gaurd, i asked tracy at hogun and was sent the match one free:D but did,nt like the lump of brass much so got a blade made by frenchi.
    have also had an adjustable cheek riser and adj butt pad fitted from paul wilson.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  6. Andy006

Andy006 Member

Lincolnshire & Wrexham & Betws-Gwerfil-Goch
    I like the raised cheekpiece Phil. Very good work.

ATB
    Andy

7. philc

philc Member

aye does some nice work paul "i like that thumbhole stock very nice mate"
    cheers phil

8. hawk eye

hawk eye New Member

Kenny, did you get a manual with your? I did not. I would like to fit the match trigger that came but am wary fo doing so without instruction. Any ideas? I have asked Highland Outdoors for a manual but they can be slow.

Cheers

H

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  9. McMurphy

McMurphy New Member

A very handsome rifle these, I really like em. Its either one of these or a HW100 next for me. :)