Ripley Elite owners...info needed

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Scootah, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Scootah

Scootah Member

Club:
    Bedlay AC
    I have a Ripley Elite which i bought about 7 months ago brand new from Wighill Park Guns.
    In the short time i've had the gun it's been back for repair twice now with the same
    problem....when the gun is loaded and fired the bolt "jumps" up into the uncocked
    position and seems to just a few mm's away from blowing back.Have any other Elite
    owners suffered this problem as it's started again and i only got the gun back recently.

I made a wee video of the problem...thanks for any help in advance.

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/...on=view&current=video-2012-05-19-15-07-47.mp4

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Looking at the video it appears you can see a bit of the bolt shaft/probe so try fitting an oring over the bolt so the oring sits on the bolt shaft & just compresses when you close the bolt, its how the S400 series does it. This will help tension the cocking pin in its housing.

It also appears that the bolt head sits against the stock which may be stopping the bolt from fully closing, if you remove the action from the stock does the bolt head sit lower & if you fire it does it still flip up. If this is the case then the bolt needs loosening on the shaft & lifting up so it closes fully without quite touching the stock

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  3. Scootah

Scootah Member

Club:
    Bedlay AC
    Thanks for the reply Pete...

The bolt feels very loose inside the housing it sits in...i've never had the gun
    apart so i don't know if theres a seal in there that has been damaged.The bolt
    does not sit against the stock...theres a good 3mm clearence between it and
    the stock so it does lock into place...it just jumps up when it's fired.It's still
    in warranty so i think i'll send it back again and let Ripley worry about it.

4. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

If you measure the amount of bolt shaft visible between the action block & the bolt then just use an oring slightly bigger than this gap. What will then happen is the oring will be compressed slightly as you close the bolt which will put back pressure on the bolts cocking pin, it wont then flip open.

You don't need to strip anything you just slide the O'ring over the bulb of the bolt then push it up & over onto the shaft, if the O'ring it not the correct size then cut it off & try another

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  5. Scootah

Scootah Member

Club:
    Bedlay AC
    I have some small o rings at work so i'll give it a go on monday...thanks again.

6. vtr1000dp1

vtr1000dp1 New Member

Hi there,

A friend and me bought a Ripley Elite each about 4 months ago from Wighill. Both our guns have now developed the same sloppy bolt action similar to yours. Mine was fine until one shot which was louder than usual and then it was all loose. Before that there was a very definite re-assuring ‘lock of the bolt when armed. My thoughts are that something has broken and it looks like a common problem. Did Wighill tell you how they fixed it or what went wrong?

Cheers