Ripley AR5 Advice Please

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by chevin, Jun 4, 2015.

1. chevin

chevin New Member

Hi guys I am a relative newcomer to hft, I've been taking it a bit more serious the last couple of months, I'm quite pleased with the hft500 but fancy a nice second rifle though, I've heard Ripley service and back up is good, I would welcome your views on the AR5 or any other recommendations.
    I must admit I came close to buying the EV2 that was on here last week but the round trip was just a bit to far for me, anyway help us out please lads what do you think of the AR5.

Regards Steve

2. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Love mine, despite the relatively unsophisticated trigger, which . It just goes on and on. I like the solidness of them, although it does depend on which type of reg is in it. I've heard of a Ripper that didn't miss a beat without a service being done in 15yrs, and then that the newer regs aren't as reliable.

Mine went 5 yrs without problems, and then had a spate of leaky reg issues. However, that's been sorted since I had a John Ostler reg in it. Ripley service is good, especially if you visit in person. Alternatively, John Ostler services the AR5s. He takes longer, but does a cracking job.

3. chevin

chevin New Member

Thanks Jerry I've heard of a couple of local lads who have had problems they have taken them into Ripley and they have been stripped and repaired in front of the customer, these too have been older rifles that have never missed a beat for many years.
    This is one of the reasons I fancy a ripper because of the quality of service the guys received and it's forty minutes up the road for me, I suppose I'm after something with a little bit more quality than usual of the peg rifles I've had in the past.

Cheers Steve.

4. stryder5

stryder5 New Member

You can specify exactly what you want as regard to barrel length, finish, stripper etc.

They are superbly engineered, never heard of trigger issues.

Go for it you won't regret it, 5 in our club now.

Attached Files:

5. Barndoor

Barndoor Member

best gun i have ever had. got it serviced by dynodave and the trigger breaks like glass.

6. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Rippers are made by a man who takes pride in his work. They are actually "made" in england not just "assembled" in england. You wont go far wrong if you buy one :)

7. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    There's nothing wrong with the trigger, only that it lacks the adjustment or sophistication of more modern guns. John Ostler set up my trigger when he put one of his regs in mine, and said "don't adjust it, learn how to use it". Since then it's been fine

If you get one you're unlikely to regret it. A couple of nice ones in Sals on here now.

8. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    I've got one & love mine, engineering & art form in a perfect mix!

9. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Sales

There's a reasonably priced one in sales at the moment in a Paul wilson stock.
    Being sold by Paul Yates a very genuine bloke .
    Stock looks ideal for hft.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  10. chevin

chevin New Member

Thank you very much for all of the above replies, much appreciated.
    Steve.

11. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    You'd have to change the hook on the back of it if using for hft (outside the nefta region knell/stand class) but I've shot this gun & it's a cracker! ;)

12. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I own both the AR5 (19 years) and AR5s (9 years) Ripleys and can highly recommend them.

My AR5s has a Nick Murphy reg fitted but was serviced by John Ostler about 3 years ago when he replaced all the seals for ones that work at a wider range of temperatures. He also built the original rifle when working for Steve. Was set for 770fps and has hardy moved.

Need to get the AR5 serviced but when it was fed on a diet of Crosman Premier 7.9s would run quite happily at 800fps and give good groups.

The trigger is something that I have never touched as the feel and response I was happy with.

13. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    I had a short action nickle plated AR5s, what a great gun that was.

I had it for 5 years and foolishly sold it. I got bored of it and fancied something new!

They are a great rifle, they really feel like they have a soul. They are not like any other rifle out there.

14. chevin

chevin New Member

Thanks again lads, I have had contact with Paul about his, we will be speaking in more depth on Monday.
    Cheers Steve.