Rip off Britain ????

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by JasonGoldsmith66, Jun 1, 2010.

1. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    1. Quote for the *NEW* design & soon to be launched "Walther FT" in UK, is : GBP1836.80 :mad:

2. Quote from my Dutch shop: Euro1565 + Euro 30 P&P = Euro 1595 / GBP 1336 :D

What da bloody hell in price difference ????????????? 500 Quid ?

Well, you all know where I shop in Europe, and have reserved my gun.

Comments as to why ?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. Andy006

Andy006 Member

You said it in your title............Rip Off Britain.:) Coz we can get ripped so easily.

Saying that, I recently purchased a brand New Ripley Elite .177 walnut thumbhole version for £610 quid and that included a hand picked stock and a free brand new £220 quid scope.;) Sold the scope and viola, a nice Ripley for £420 quid. :D Not bad, doubt that could be had any cheaper anywhere.

3. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Maybe that was the price to you.:)

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Never worked it out, but it is a source of frustration I know that forces people to look abroad, and grey import themselves.

It's been a couple of years since I bought something germanic, but that was about £80 trade direct from the dealer, and £120 from a shop here. I'm sure it was coincidence that the item was the same in euros as it was in pounds... the pound has dropped a lot.

This seems to be the same... or worse... still.

I'm really unsure if it's anything to do with there being more people in the chain, different prices to the uk, or just that shooting in germany is a bigger sport... and then you have the currency conversion and vat rates.

With software, one US seller sells their software at a £1=$1 despite their online download service offering byte for byte identical versions, that are even downloaded from the same US server... yet another has a price that is more akin to a straight currency exchange... with the former, we just pick it off the shelves when we're over there... with the latter, we buy in the uk.

With the net providing opportunities to get better deals, you have to wonder why some haven't starting awkward questions further up the chain.

5. springboy

springboy Member

It's been going on for years.I've seen scopes for $900 and £900,all they do is swap the dollar sign for a pound sign and they get away with it.But if you do you're home work you can actually get stuff much cheaper abroad including paying import duty etc.I was looking into buying a Leupold Comp X,and i managed to find a shop in the USA that'll send to the UK and it worked out £755 inc postage and import duty etc.A saving of over £200 easy and it took me about 10 minutes searching on the internet.

6. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    the rifle scope store in america send direct matey aswell

7. mintyrn10

mintyrn10 Roll on the weekend!

Club:
    REDFEARNS
    what'S 'NEW' ABOUT IT to me it looks like the same dommi action just a different stock :confused: a bit like the AA EV .syndrome

rick