Right handed but left eye dominant

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Darren Crofts, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Darren Crofts

Darren Crofts Member

Club:
    Misfits,
    I've just realized that I'm right handed but Left eye dominant and was wondering if this has any adverse effect on shooting ?([might use it as an excuse if needed) any advice would be appreciated

2. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Me to

Shooting is the only thing I do left handed. I use a blinder on my scope , if I don't I see two sight pictures. Maybe a blinder for you dominate eye may give you a better sight picture.

3. lilman2106

lilman2106 New Member

Hi Darren I'm the same as yourself, so I shoot left handed it felt funny at first but you soon get used to it. The more you practice the easier it gets.

4. w-v-m

w-v-m Member

Club:
    Missed it's
    My lad is.
    when he shoots, he shoots as a leftie.

5. OzzyJ

OzzyJ New Member

Club:
    North Oxon FTC
    I am the same and for HFT i can shoot happily left or right handed which can be useful for some of the more awkward ones:D

6. Rutty

Rutty New Member

The normal advice is that you should try and shoot from the dominant eye side. However, this is sometimes easier said than done. Some individuals are very strongly handed by conditioning and changing sides can be a very strong trait to counter. The important thing to remember is that you must discern tangible benefit from changing from the usual hand to the dominant eye. If you don't perceive that it has done you any good after giving it a proper try with an objective assessment then revert to what you were doing originally.

For what it's worth, I coach the top blind rifle shooter in the UK. He competes against sighted shooters and has a PB of 550 ex 600. He is left handed but shoots right handed. Go figure!

Rutty

7. Winds of change

Winds of change New Member

Two words "Phil Taylor" left eye dominant right handed, 16 times world champion.....

8. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    I am left eye dominant but righthanded and also shoot lefthanded but I havn't always shot as a lefty, shooting shotguns made me realize quickly that I needed to shoot south paw by the occasional smack in the cheek.
    I'm sure though there are some air rifle shooters who shoot with the less dominant eye and will probably shoot fine maybe just squinting or shutting one eye to compensate.

9. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Hmmmm, lots of food for thought already in this thread. I'm right handed + left eye dominant & just scrunch my left eye shut. I might dig the blinder out again & try that? Never tried shooting "lefty" (but I know where there's a nice stock for my Ripley :D

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  10. Lennox.lewis96

Lennox.lewis96 New Member

Club:
    The Oaks
    I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. I shoot right handed and just close my left eye and have survived alright.
    Lewis

11. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Phil who

Does he shoot hft or FT?

12. Rift

Rift "Agent"

Club:
    M.A.D
    I am left handed and right eye dominant but have always shot left handed.
    its funny that even now if I pick up a scope to look through it I still go to the right eye first.
    I have to shoot with my right eye closed and when i tried shooting right handed my poi moved right and up by over 1".
    If I started shooting right handed I would have nothing to moan about on hft courses !!

Rift :cool:

13. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

My brother Ian discovered he was left eye dominant when he started shooting a couple of years ago, he couldn't shoot left handed so tried all manner of methods, closing his left eye, a pair of safety glasses with the left lens frosted so he could shoot both eyes open but force his brain to use the right eye. He used to have a head ache after every shoot but he has stuck with it and probably trained his brain to shift the bias a little as he is finding it a bit easier these days and his scores are reflecting that.

So try telling your brain you are choosing which eye to use rather than the numskulls dictating which one you use! unless of course you can shoot the other hand, that is not something I could do though!

14. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Phil taylor.Thought he was the darts player.:confused: I suppose the theory could apply to darts as well.

Thankfully I am right handed right eyed, its a good job as my left eye is rubbish.:D

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  15. Woodchucker

Woodchucker New Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    This a very interesting thread, I shot clays competitively an being left eye dominant and right handed I just shut my left eye once I had picked the target up but I never thought it would effect rifle shooters because I assumed that like me, most would close or squint there left eye. Another thing to be careful of is that eye dominance can shift with age or trauma so its worth checking from time to time :D

16. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Left eye dominant with right handed. Switching just doesn't work for me, i'm too settled into shooting right handed... but it's not important what works for me or anyone else, it's what works for you.

17. ajs193

ajs193 New Member

I'm right handed and right eyed but have a dodgy right eye so shoot left handed.
    It felt really uncomfortable to start with but I've got used to it now, at least the shooting part, it still feels really awkward to even sit down for a left handed shot.

18. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    We're all different.

I'm left handed, right eye dominant, shoot right handed. However I've always naturally picked up a rifle right handed anyway so it has never been something I thought about until recent years. I also do archery with a right handed bow.

On the other hand :D I'm completely incapable of writing with my right hand, but I naturally use a computer mouse in the right hand. In cricket at school I used to bat right handed but bowl left handed and I use the cue in pool, snooker etc left handed. If I was chopping down a tree (not something I've ever done) I'd want to hold the axe right handed.

I can shoot a pistol with either hand and I seem to be able to use left eye/left hand but I'm much better right handed.

Hell no wonder I'm so screwed up! :eek:

19. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    I'm left handed and my dominant eye is the right and shoot with both eyes open and consider it a plus with close sights because since the dominant eye is outside the scope I can find the targets easily and can track wind changes when shooting.

At the beginning it was difficult to manage in what eye I should kept my attention but now my brain do it easily and I even shoot with 20x, I only have problems with very dark targets.

20. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Right handed, left eye dominant.

Tried shooting left hand but it never 'felt' comfortable. However I can still shoot left handed which many years ago when they had some opposite handed lanes did make any difference to me. Can also play pool left handed.

Did some shotgunning a few years ago and with a few mates we were doing left to right and right to left crossers. They only noticed by chance that I was shooting right handed for the right to left clays and left handed for the others. Never knew anything different at the time and usually got 30-50% of the left to right clays.