Rifle for my boy.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Simonev2, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    Hi every one I could do with some advice I'm after a rifle for my 7 year old and don't know which to get. Any one have any ideas. Don't want to spend to much just in case he don't like it.

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    177 S200 or Bsa ultra

S200 is what i went for.

3. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    You don't mention how much your budget is, but if it's around £400 for a gun, simon's suggested guns are both perfect. You will need a scope that will add about £50 you can probably fill up each time you visit a club for about 50p a time. Alternatively you can look at CO2 powered guns which are cheaper to buy. You will have a choice but obviously smaller and lighter, something like a crossman ratcatcher for around £120, no scope required. The co2 bulbs bought in bulk are easy to replace and won't require the upfront investment of an air bottle or pump.
    Hope this helps

4. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    Hi my budget is around £200 I've got a air tank so filling anything is fine also I've got a spare scope just the gun really.

5. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    I would not go for the ultra, the front cocking will be too hard for him to handle (we had a kid at tawd with one, he could not do it on his own) and the stock is still adult sized, just a short action.

The s200 is a good option but they are heavy for how big they are, you would be lucky to find one for £200

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  6. stu180101

stu180101 New Member

+1

At 7 everything is going to be a little too big (length of pull) - my advice would be to go with the ratcatcher until he grows a bit (or, get an S200 and mod the stock to fit (reduce butt length - add spacers as he grows)) ;)

7. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    with my little-un ( libby )(then 7 now 9), i found all rifles were far too long or heavy ( includes ultra, s200, brocock and ratcatcher, forget any springers (too hard to cock) ).
    I found that,
    ultra=too heavy, too long, too expensive.
    S200= as above,
    ratcatcher= cheap, light enough, but too long in the stock length, which could not be shortened.
    All springers= too long, heavy and hard to cock and the cheap versions were absolute trash.:mad:

In the end i went for something cheap, a QB78, Co2 rifle ( £120 quid), which i could cut the stock down and re-profile the grip for a smaller hand and then i painted the stock by request ( black and gold Glitter ) and infilled her name on the stock ( it needs a little fettling to get it to work very well, ( The chinese airgun forum( an english forum by fans;) ) has all the info and help you will need;)).

or you could go down another route maybe?, either way, keep looking and good luck:D

8. stu180101

stu180101 New Member

Not impossible to shorten - see posts # 12 & 14 HERE