rifle change

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by ralphvfr, Aug 24, 2015.

1. ralphvfr

ralphvfr New Member

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent ARC
    I would like to try my hand/eye at a few FT club competitions , I currently shoot a Airarms S400 which I think is a good rifle but I find it does not fit me right for the different positions used in FT. I was thinking of doing some stock alterations but then had the chance to change to a Feinwerkbau P70 FT which has lots of adjustments without cutting/altering the woodwork. I know there are loads of rifles out there but I think I can pick this one up at the right price.
    Can anyone give me any advice/ comments on this model rifle. Thanks Ralph.:confused:

2. bionicredhead

bionicredhead Taller than my old man :p

Club:
    B/Gwent
    Hi Ralph,

I managed to pick one of these rifles up at a good price. A few things to consider from my experience are:

Take time to make the rifle fit you with all the adjustments that are available. I kept on tinkering with mine for ages as there is so much that can be altered.

The weight of this rifle and it's length is something that can take time to get used to. I'm convinced only tje sun is heavier. But set up right this rifle is very stable, but its weight and length could seem uncomfortable for standers and kneelers.

Take time to set up the trigger right for yourself, again I played with this for a while to get it right.

research people who service and make extras this rifle that might interest you. Maestro on here is a good person to contact.

overall I'd say, take the time to enjoy this rifle. they are a pleasure to shoot.

3. ralphvfr

ralphvfr New Member

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent ARC
    Thanks Rhys, much appreciated .

4. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    The World FT Championship was just won with a P70FT.

I had one back in 2003 and agree with everything bionic has said.

They are not the easiest of rifles to shoot, as they have a 25" barrel, so you really need to follow through and watch the pellet all the way to the target, but they are stunningly accurate.

Also spend time getting the balance of the rifle right and you will find standers and kneelers are not so hard.

If you can get it for the right money, get it. There must be a few of these gathering dust, as there were quite a number about back in 2003/4/5, now you see very few, shame, as they are a good rifle.

5. rich

rich Active Member

On the other hand, unless absolute domination of the FT world is your objective, a modified S400 will take you a long way in this sport.

First, swap the standard air cylinder for the FAC length one. It flattens the power curve so that it is pretty well non-existent, certainly for the number of shots in a FT course.

Second, do some work on the stock, or get someone to do it for you. Essential items are a rising cheek piece and an adjustable butt plate, and you will need a hamster. It doesn't need to be adjustable but it does help. A simple butt hook can be included in the butt plate fixings.

If it's a S400 made in the last nine or ten years it will have the three sear trigger which can be set as crisp and as light as you like. Get inside it and bin those jumbo jet tyres that fit on the pivot pins, get hold of some crinkle washers and put them in instead.

If it's a fairly new model and littered with AT hurdles at every level, just send it off to one of several very good gunsmiths who will remove the AT for you. It's not needed.

Cost, the FAC tube is about £40 and you'll need a new figure of eight clamp, Rowan do one or you can probably get one from Julian Bond. Cheek piece, it's a standard mod I do for many of our club members, the mate's price is £40, you may have to pay more commercially. This is my Airwolf. [​IMG][/IMG]

Butt plate, the Bisley one is under £20. Hamster you can buy from Rowan or if you are reasonably handy with some woodworking tools, make your own.

Crinkle washers are almost literally ten a penny.

6. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Hi Ralph

Before you jump in head first take your time and try some of Rich advice its certainly worth trying as a start and could save you a few quid, pop over the club on the weekends and there will be all ranges of rifles to have a look at and most would let you try them..... Just don't drop any ;-) lol....

The correct balance is vital I bought a long Steyr and struggled with standers before getting it cut down by a fantastic chap called Mick Troman, its now in between the two and is brilliant.

So lessons I learnt be sure its right for you, with me it was cut it all up or buy a new gun... Very happy with it now and I would not swap it for the world, it has taken over 18mths to get it to this point though.

As Bio has also said and as I found with the long steyr follow through has to be spot on.

Anyways when you're over the club have a look about and don't be scared to ask for a try :) we won't bite oh unless as I mentioned you drop one lol..

Bri

7. bionicredhead

Club:
    B/Gwent
    I've just had a blonde moment, I've just realised Ralph were members of the same club. I'm a total muppet for nit spoting that one. Let me know when your over the club and I'll bring my p70 for you to have a play with. As mentioned before by myself and others, these rifles are stunningly accurate.

8. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    One word 'muppet' lol see you soon mate

Bri

9. bionicredhead

Club:
    B/Gwent
    I know, thats what I get for viewing this forum on my phone :p see you soon Dangerous.

10. Steveglass

Steveglass Non member

P70

P70 or Steyr, Rhys?

11. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen