1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rhino 2.5 - 10 X 26 First impressions

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Tyke, May 31, 2009.

1. Tyke

Tyke Member

Rhino 2.5 - 10 X 26 30mm First impressions

I found out last week I had a small bonus coming from my part time job so I started looking around for ways to spend it before the wife found out and I decided I liked the review of the Rhino 2.5 – 10 X 24 in the June edition of "Airgun World" so I phoned the N.R.S.A. shop and ordered one.
    I phoned them up at 13:30 and the scope arrived next day and all for the sum of £99 now that’s damn good service.
    My first impression of the scope out of the box was “nice” big 300mm tube it really looks the job and I wanted to fit it to my S400 and try it out but I would have to wait till Sunday.
    I fitted the scope at Redfearns zeroed it in and took my first proper look through it and I was very pleased with the sight picture but I had to re parallax it for airgun ranges so that was my first job but it was very easy as after removing the end cap (by hand) the adjustment screw was exposed and turned very easily until I had it set to 30 yards. The next step was to focus the eye bell to get the retina right and again I was pleased by the amount of tension that it took to do this, like all of the bits that turn on this scope it was firm without been tight.
    The scope is in the first focal plain i.e. the retina size grows and reduces with the magnification and with the retina been of the 3 post and dot type it looked a bit large on 10 mag but I soon got used to that. The posts on the retical end with a thin line then there is a gap and then a dot and this gives plenty of aim points and it works for me as good as a mill dot system. The illumination of the scope is graduated up to 11 and it illuminates only the centre dot which gives it a kind of laser feel which I personally like plus in a dark environment this means that your pupil will not dilate and so you get the maximum light available.
    I am not a scope guru so I can’t give all the technical feature of the scope and so the following is what I found out by taking the scope around the Redfearns course. The sight picture through the scope is bright and crisp and wide angled even in the dark parts of the woods and the first focal plain feature plus the illuminated reticule really make this scope easy to aim but I did find one problem. Everyone else who looked through the scope didn’t think this was a problem but I think its worth mentioning, on 10 mag I found you had to have your head at the exact right height to stop it fogging at the edges. This shouldn’t be a problem if you have a raiseable check piece or if you use lower scope mounts (the ones I used were all I had available).
    I'm not a review writer so I hope what I have written makes sense and to really put the final seal of approval on the scope I would add that everyone at the club who looked through it was very impressed with the quality at the price and personally I really like it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. Steve Hebby

Steve Hebby Beware the Chair

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Good review that Steve. Are you using it at the Anglo?
    I'll have a look at your scope next time I see you at the club.

3. Steve Hebby

Steve Hebby Beware the Chair

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Had a look through this scope today. The optics were very good for a scope at this price. The field of view on 8X was excellent with good clarity from 8 yards to 55 yards.