1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reticles

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by Bill Fowler, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Bill Fowler

Bill Fowler New Member

Club:
    Anston Ftc
    Hiya, in your own opinions what is the best reticle to use in ft shooting please. Billy.

2. Dale

Dale Member

I think this is very much a subjective issue, as everyone will tend to their own personal preferences.

Personally, as I dial for distances I like simple reticles such as the duplex or a target dot. For aiming off for the wind I just put the reticle where I consider is the right place.

Other shooters will prefer other options such as mildot or one of the other reticle styles that offer multiple aiming marks.

Best bet is to try a number of different types and decide what suits your needs the best.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    RobF and Bill Fowler like this.
  3. uk_stretch

uk_stretch Member

My eye is most comfortable with a floating dot. I will, like Dale, aim off by picking a point and placing the dot. Might use windage marks if aiming right off the plate.

With a crosshair my aiming floats vertically and horizontally more than I am comfortable with.

My MOA Sightron is comfortable to my eye. Nice clear broken dot and not too busy. I get twitchy if there are too many marks. The hash marks for windage are not ideally but if it is windy enough for me to be using them it probably doesn’t matter! I prefer the less busy MOA to the busier mil-hash.

Similarly the illuminated big Nikko, Vortex Golden Eagle and Delta Stryker all have reticle options I’d be comfortable with.

So I agree, it’s hugely subjective - depends on how you are wired. My “requirement” eliminates “god-glass” like March and S&B (which is handy as I can’t justify or afford it either). But if it doesn’t look right it is going to make you twitchy :)

YMMV

Stretch

Bill Fowler and RobF like this.
  4. mitigator

mitigator Dan Smith

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I got used to using mil dots for HFT and then started FT with a mk3 mil dot Nikko.

Just got used to it I suppose - I try to use the dots for windage with limited success!

Bill Fowler likes this.
  5. Tiger

Tiger Member

After 35+ years of crosshairs in its various forms, when I took up benchrest, I used a ‘dot’ (albeit not a floating dot) ret. Wow, do my eyes work with a dot! So much so I sought out a ret with a dot and graduations for elevation and wind for my Mk4is. I have bought an SWFA SS 12x42 with MOA Quad ret. It has the tiniest floating dot, which needs a light target, but boy, I am impressed.

Bill Fowler likes this.
  6. Bill Fowler

Bill Fowler New Member

Club:
    Anston Ftc
    Thanks for the advice everyone.