Reticle problem.

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by mjolnir30, Jan 16, 2014.

1. mjolnir30

mjolnir30 Member

I have one problem.
    I put my scope(bih nikko) on my airgun,the gun and the scope are in level,i use buble level,but reticle is not in lever.
    And when i lean gun to right then reticle seems to be in level.but then gun and scope are not in level.
    Simple i cannot get gun,scope and reticle in level at same time.
    What is wrong here?
    Is it more important that gun and scope are in level,or i should not look that i just must level my reticle.
    Please help.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. mick2808

mick2808 New Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    i have an ev2 and my bubble on side isnt correct, what i do with all my rifles is put gun in rest and put a small bubble level on dove tail. Then i place a piece of string with a weight on the end down range ( a plumb line ) and sight in my scope on the string. Hey presto all done..

Mick:)

3. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Start again.
    Remove the scope and mounts.
    Put up a piece of string from a door frame via a small tack with a coffee cup etc at the end to give it weight and pull it down thus keeping it straight.

Put the scope on the gun, in the mounts loose.
    Place a level on the breech of the gun, when the gun shows level look through the scope and line up the cross hairs with the string, which will be straight.
    Tighten up the scope mounts and you're there :)

4. mjolnir30

mjolnir30 Member

I try that,but when i do that,reticle is match with string,but then my scope is lean to the right,you can see with eyes that it is not straight.
    I repeat the reticle can be at buble level,but body of scope cannot be.

5. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Its an optical illusion at times though.
    Same as hanging a picture.
    You can measure it out and it's mm perfect on a tape but crooked to the eye,
    It can be done via the eye and seems straight but via tape ...it's out.

In the end, put the gun down, place the level at the breeech, make the gun level and set the scope a per guide.
    It may well SEEM off but i bet it isn't.
    Hard to explain i know or understand, i had the same thing with my Venom HW80k years ago..Drove me mad a full evening.:eek:o

6. miller

miller Member

Sounds like reticle is out of level sometimes they can move when zoom ring is moved,try zooming in and out to see if it moves.I had one that moved when magged down to 10x,never got it fixed just used it on 40x.
    cheers pete.

7. mjolnir30

mjolnir30 Member

Ok i will try it tomorrow and let you know what have i done.
    I will post pictures at end so you can see my problem.
    Tnx for reply.

8. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    check bubble

If your scope level is removable check it with a bigger level.
    Hold the long level on a wall so it is spot on,then place your scope level on top and see if they are both level.
    With such a tiny bubble it would not surprize me if it's a mile out :rolleyes:

9. blacklab

blacklab Member

Club:
    nelson
    Levels

its very hard to get a bubble that is level, sad but true

10. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I have tried a bubble that fits to the rail & one that fits onto the scope mounts... both total rubbish, the scope mount one relies on you having the mounts clamped equally on both sides & the rail one once tightened went off. I had both on at the same time & they both said different things !!
    Now I stick one on the top of my scope turret & use the plumb line method. Sometimes I will check with one flat on top of the rail as well.

11. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    It's annoying isn't it - I get the same thing with the bubble on the rail going off when it's tightened.

What I've had to do is file down one side of it so it's level when tightened, but it's annoying that they make them like that in the first place.

Hmmm... I feel another 3D printing project coming on - levels that are actually level!

12. peter b

peter b Member

Club:
    BYLEY
    Scope level

I use the string method together with bubble on the action & bubble on the top turret,when set is the best you can get it nip up the mounts evenly, little bit @ a time making sure both sides are evenly done both front & back mounts. Keep checking the bubbles to make sure you are not pulling the scope one way as you tighten up the mounts---- not too tight as you will crush the scope tube.
    Should be ok with this method if you can put the string about 3/4 m away & use longest levels you can to get the most accurate readings & try to set the rifle up nice & level (fixed if you can) before you start.
    Regards Pete

13. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Yeh, had fun and games with bubble levels... these ones in particular...as you tighten them up they're fine right until the last nip, then they kick out of true (on my walthers). I've had to shim them to keep them true.

[​IMG]

What I use is a level like this http://www.leveldevelopments.com/products/vials/plastic-square-section-vials/ which I check against a good level like a builders level first. Then I sit that on the action, and get that level. Only then do I bolt a level to the action checking it agrees with the one resting on the action. I then use a plumb line to level the scope up. This is all done while the gun is in a rest.

I've found the sportsmatch ones which screw directly into the mount more reliable.

[​IMG]

14. blacklab

blacklab Member

Club:
    nelson
    vials

first thing is to find a level that is level, only then can you proceed to the steps outlined above,it s time consuming but critical, tried the vials but could,nt find one that was level.I bought a steyr mount off here with a level that screws through the mount, did,nt think it would work but I wanted the mount anyway, when I put the mount on and screwed the level on I was amazed to see that it matched one of the only true levels that I got.bingo a bit of luck.

15. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Not seen those ones Rob, will have to look out for one, I seem to have all the other sportsmatch bubbles in my collection :rolleyes::D

16. Scottish Guy

Scottish Guy Member

Club:
    Dunfermlie ARC
    Bubbles

I you use BPTAYLOR riser mounts and put the spotsmatch bubble in the screw threads used for widening
    the mounts, no problem,:D

17. Akita

Akita Member

Club:
    Greyhound & Purley Chase
    Id get the reticle in line with a plumb line and forget about spirit levels, what your eye sees straight through the optic is more important then anything else.
    I rock the gun side to side looking down the rear action and naturaly you find when the gun is level.

I suffer from a eye condition that when the the crosshair is level the scope is rotated anit clockwise a fair bit, other shooters wouldnt be able to use my scope set ups propelry.

18. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    With the OP's scope I'd first remove the rifle from the equation and establish if the reticle is straight or not. You could remove the scope, clamp the scope itself, then do the plumb line method. There should be enough flat on a Nikko top turret to rest a level on it. It should also be obvious by eye if the upper vertical arm of the crosshair does not appear to bisect the top turret.

I imported one of these from the States a few years back
    http://www.riflescopelevel.com/vertical_retical_instrument.html
    I got it from Brownells but it is a simple device and a good engineer could knock up a similar gizmo quite easily.

The idea is that a line through the vertical crosshair should bisect the bore. If this is the case (apart from aesthetics) it doesn't actually matter if the top of the action is dead level or indeed if the mounts are slightly offset.

This device also works particularly well with springers and anything else without a flat top. I've never trusted the method of resting the level across the bottom half of the scope ring. As long as the bit of the rifle just in front of the scope bell is round (usually the barrel) it self centres.

It works great and I use it but I have also found that if I do it by eye it almost always tallies with this device. Which is nice. :) So these days I set it by eye then check it with this.

19. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Unfortunately the eye is easily fooled. I used to think mine wasn't but found out to my cost it's easily tricked. If you ask the top 20 ft shots if they think a spirit level is important, I reckon you'd get 19 saying yes, and that the 20th needs one ;)

20. mjolnir30

mjolnir30 Member

Thank you all for help.
    Today i go out,i put gun in level(bubble level on gun breach),i look trough scope and put my reticle in line with rope,that is all ok.
    But when i look it seems to me that reticle is lean to the one side,is it possible that there is something wrong with my eyes?
    Second thing,i shoot at 10 meters and i set the turet for left or right at on value,when i go to 20 meters i must change that value(4 cliks to right),on 30 meters 4 cliks more....is that normal?
    And third thing when i shoot without air stripper and with air stripper the pellet go 3 cm down with air stripper.
    Is that normal?

The gun in ev2mk4,shoot trough chrono,all ok.

So if you guys can help me.
    Thank you.