Retesting of Walther steel air cylinders

Discussion in 'Walther' started by Gillian, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Gillian

Gillian New Member

I have a early factory standard Walther dominator fitted with a standard steel cylinder and as it is now over 10 years old the air cylinder needs to be replaced or retested.

A Replacement is around 200 pounds for either the steel or the aluminium versions. According to the information from Walther, the steel cylinders can be extended for another 10 years but the aluminium versions should be emptied and not be used.

This is expensive for how little I shoot, so does anyone know if there is anyone in the UK who can as Walther puts it recertify the cylinder by inspection and dry proof test of the cylinder?

Thanks

Gill

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

You should be able to pick up a brand new Aluminium junior cylinder for around £170, most people don't like the long steel cylinders so you may be able to pick up a S/H one for £30-40

The test date doesn't actually apply in the UK unless you are shooting 10m competitions to ISSF rules or such, I'm not aware of anywhere who will test the cylinders & be able to mark them without potentially damaging as the current markings are on the thicker threaded area so new markings would need to be on the thinner pressure walls, original steels were stamped but Walther laser etch now

The long steel cylinders are tested for use upto 300bar & filling any higher than 200bar can cause the reg problems, I have a steel cylinder I use for reg checking that is over 10years old....it doesn't worry me.

3. Littlekev

Littlekev Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    As long as the cylinder holds less than 500cc this does not require testing in the UK.

I Also work for an idest test station for dive cylinders and paint ball tanks.

4. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

It wouldn't be allowed in an ISSF competition after the 10 years though which miight cause a problem if it was to be used in 10m comps

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    True. Only some though. Not all and not many are ISSF in the UK. For instance, the NSRA British Champs are only ISSF if you specifically enter the ISSF competition... if you want to shoot the champs you don't have to shoot the ISSF to win them, the ISSF is just used for selection shoots. MQS etc.

In addition, i've been told by an international shooter that it's only a problem abroad and that there is no checking (to date) in ISSF shoots inside GB.

If you do ISSF then you're going to know about it, and all the other rule changes which mean kit may have to be changed/adapted. Unless you're shooting at a very high level (national representation), it shouldn't be a problem.

Under 100cc's they're exempt (i believe) which shows just how not critical the ruling is anyway, considering the large walther ones are only 300cc's (if i remember correctly).