Rests

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by chobson, Jul 8, 2017.

1. chobson

chobson Member

Club:
    KWFTC
    What rifle rests are you guys typically using on the UK circuit. I've seen a few and varying on-line. Cheers Chris

2. thebaron

thebaron Member

Club:
    Leics & District (Dowry Hill)
    Front pedestals

Cicognani are popular and SEB if you like a joystick type

Caldwell Rock is a budget heavy weight rest
    John

3. Brian O

Brian O Member

Club:
    BOAC
    As TheBaron says the most common ones are the SEB range and the Cicognani, from personal experience my findings are:

SEB original very stable but not enough movement to cover the full postal BR22 target

SEB NEO very stable and enough movement for the full card heavy to transport

SEB MINI almost as stable as the NEO easily transportable, not used it to shoot comp card yet but specs suggest it should be capable of covering the full card.

SEB Joypod great for club use, unbelievably lightweight but not legal for the bench rest competitions I compete in.

I was able to get all my SEBs from Fox Firearms the European importers

Cicognani very very heavy to transport but easily covers the full card and very accurate in use. Unfortunately very difficult to get hold of them since Intershoot stopped supplying them. I picked mine up second hand.

I personally prefer the micrometer adjustment method of the Ciconani rest though the engineering build quality on the whole of the SEB (joystick control) range is exceptional

feel free to PM me for any further info.

Brian

4. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC & Bisley - BFTC
    Great info in teh above post TY .. could I ask why the Joypod is not legal ?

5. Amonra

Amonra Member

Club:
    MAAC (Malta Allied Airgunners Club)
    I use a Caldwell Firecontrol joystick front rest. It's nothing special but does the job acceptably well

6. mater

mater New Member

To give the SEB more range, loosen the front bearing and move it flush with the outer casing, you should be good.
    Also , make sure the the front stop is all the way forward.

7. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    I use a Seb coaxial front rest now. Before that I use a lab jack off ebay.

8. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Lol, I bought a Cadwell the rock Jr.
    Its very stable with my 9015 on it, I made a new top plate for it out of Birch, vinyl on top.

9. crossword

crossword New Member

Club:
    South Yorkshire Shooting
    Geoff ,
    Same rest here , I stuck some rough surfaced rubber onto the flat metal plate the pad is strapped to in order to prevent the pad slipping . The rear rest is part of a two pad set from China . I have filled it with some vermiculite granules , sold for garden use & insulation . The Caldwell is heavy & stable being a tripod .
    Guns HW 100 & Walther Rotek RM8 . I bought the Caldwell as the Walther does not lend itself to a bipod . Bipod bought for the HW100 & OK but Caldwell seems good for both .

Regards Andrew .