Restrictions on airguns in Queen's speech...

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by RobF, Nov 18, 2009.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Crime and Security Bill

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8365163.stm

We all store them safely, but then that requires a definition of the word safely, and what are the checks? Or perhaps it could be i'm jumping the gun, and that you will be prosecuted if the guns are not kept safely in the event of an incident.

2. Nealsey

Nealsey Two Tins

I guess if there is an incident, then the kit has not been kept safely and so you will be
    subject to prosecution?

Neal

3. martin c

martin c New Member

i have no problem with some-one being prosecuted if they allow an' accident' to occur due to negligent storage of an air rifle but it could certainly be the thin end of a very long wedge. there again the other lot will be in by june so it will be back to hunting with dogs and no new gun laws .

4. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    I think his is not to bad it could have been a lot worst,as it stands for me nothing will change as i have a safe and they are keeped under lock and key.:)Or am i reading this wrong:confused:.

5. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

That is the way that I read it as well.

One issue that may raise its head will be the interpretation of the word 'safely'. I am sure we have all heard stories of Firearms officers having different approaches to the gunsafes.

6. RobF

Club:
    the cabinet aspect is a big problem for me... but hopefully locked cases will suffice...

7. RobF

Club:
  8. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

I'm sure a few of us will take them off your hands if there's a problem Rob, no don't thank me :D:D:D:D

9. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Why are you renting i am a little lucky as i have a spare box room which has two names the gun room,and the missus calls it the junk room.:)

10. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

That may also then causes isues. Imagine asking the landlord if you can put a gurt big steel cabinet on the wall. I am sure most will have a hissy fit:eek:.

For example, I am in a 1 bed ground floor flat so mine are stored in my modified bedroom cupboard which has a covered wire going through the trigger guards (2 FT rigs take up a bit of space). I could put a steel cabinet up with the permission of the landlord (a shooter and good mate) but that would leave me evn less space.

My nieces and nephews rarely come and visit so the security is mainly for me and insurance purposes.

11. RobF

Club:
    Lol... same deal here. But they're all safe and secure, in their lockable gun boxes (which she may think are largely empty, so having to get a large cabinet is a bit of an admission that i'd prefer not to make ;))

But seriously, i'm not renting, but the problem with a cabinet is that all the solid walls in our place have something like a kitchen, a boiler or her wardrobes against them... and the rest is fully in sight... or a plasterboard wall.
    The floors are solid concrete, and most of them are a continuous run of laminate flooring which runs under the skirting boards...

It's the fundamental reason why i don't shoot live.

12. skipper

skipper New Member

So how will this affect say for eg when me and the missus go away for the weekend shooting and we stay in a premier inn. we usually take the rifles to the room with us :confused:

13. RobF

Club:
    Same as firearms i suppose :)

14. D Martin

D Martin Non member

And don't go drilling any holes in the boat to fit a gun cabinate Ollie it will erm..........sink!!:eek::rolleyes::D:D

Dave

15. skipper

skipper New Member

PMSL :D that did pass my mind Dave