Regulator problem ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by 5teve L, Nov 19, 2012.

1. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I have a problem with my MPR, in that it will not group very well.
    I thought it was pellets but I have tried a few different ones through the rifle now & it will not put in a decent group at 25yds. Best I can do is about 10mm with 5 shots & the odd flier.
    I thought it could be me but I have had another club member test it with similar results.
    I have cleaned the barrel, stripped & cleaned the hammer rail & firing pin.
    It seems fairly consistent over the chrono, well as much as it would be with pellets from the tin, high was 785, low was 777 iirc. over 10 shots.
    I changed scopes as well to see if it was that, but no, same results.

The only thing I can put it down to is that it has a Ben taylor regulator.
    Does the reg pressure need to be set up for a particular rifle or do you just set them to 90 bar & they all perform the same ?
    Or maybe if the hammer spring was weak/worn would this affect things ?
    Also I noticed the brass firing valve body that Ben modifies (read:chops up) is a bit battered & the hole is not round anymore in the middle ??

It used to be really accurate, I could put in 5-6mm groups with it at 25yds of my hand & similar at 45. I even had a half inch group with 5 pellets at 65 yards with it once :eek:

It is becoming so frustrating that I am thinking about buying a new firing pot, body & cylinder to see if it cures it by removing the reg.

Or is there other things that can cause inaccuracy, it's weird how it seems fairly consistent over the chrono ??

Any advice would be great.

Steve

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Consistancy is fine so likley no problem to find there.
    all bolts tight??

The other chap who tested your gun, was he one of the best in the country or just someone you consider better than yourself??
    Not much point having anyone else test it if they are not 100% sure it was not them??

What have you done pellet testing wise?

i would go back to when you were producing the groups you now desire to produce.
    Have you changed the batch of pellet you were using then? That can have a huge difference on results above all else

3. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I have just tried it again in the garden, I put 3 pellets on top of each other then it put one 4mm left & high, then back on, then dropped low.. I may do another test on the chrono later over more shots.

4. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I actually thing the rifle was more consistent before it was regulated but can't be sure now as I sold the rifle & bought it back recently. It was definitely more accurate when I owned it last anyway.

I have just tried it again in the garden, I put 3 pellets on top of each other then it put one 4mm left & high, then back on, then dropped low.. I may do another test on the chrono later over more shots.

I wouldn't mind if the group was 6mm or so but the fliers are doing my head in a bit.

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    impossible to be the regulator. how can the reg throw a pellet 4mm left?
    your reg is more consistent than mine at only 8fps spread.

6. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    OK, thanks, I wasn't sure, so it's not the reg, I just needed to eliminate that from the equation in case anyone else had similar probs as like I say I've tried most things...

Any other ideas why I get fliers. It never used to be pellet fussy...
    I did wonder if it was technique as the lock time is pretty slow, but the other chap that had a go said it was erratic as well?

I will try different power levels next to see if it preferes to run slow or fast...

7. XTX

XTX XTX Air

Club:
    Nomads HFT
    It could be something as simple as the probe O ring in the barrel.
    If you have any air strippers etc fitted try removing them.
    Barrel crown could be damaged, although it is unlikely that you would get a few good shots then a bad shot if the crown was damaged.

8. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Many thanks for the replies, I shall give the barrel another clean & try some different pellets, I may push one through as well to check for defects on the pellets.

9. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Hopefully found the problem. I rodded the barrel with a patch, came out with a little lead, then tried it with some oil, again, same result, then I thought 'I have nothing to loose' & tried a little metal polish paste, the result shocked me to say the least !
    They say a picture paints a thousand words.. Pic here :eek:

10. blackscale

blackscale Member

****! :d:d

11. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I had an AA EV2 barrel in one of my BSA's a couple of years ago and when that barrel needed cleaning it started to to shoot high and left, weird! It needed cleaning quite often every 250-300 shots and it always went off in the same manner when it needed doing, so you may have found your answer.

I have also experienced the reg being blamed when it is not at fault, if i have fitted a reg to gun and something goes wrong with the gun later on the owner often jumps to the conclusion that it is the reg, its an occupational hazard!

Simon.

12. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I only wondered as I (thought) I'd tried everything :)