Reading wind ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by FUBAR, Jun 2, 2009.

1. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

grass is better but if your in woods then dry leafs , what i do is throw it in the air and watch which way it flows ..... it gives me a general idea of wind direction;)

so do any of you chaps have any wind reading tips (apart from the feather attached to the end of an ft rig)

regards FUBAR:)

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Sometimes the feather attached to the end of the rig tell pork pies!
    Feel, instinct, experience and guestimation. Some call it a skill, others an art, whilst many would agree it's the single most persistant evil that keeps us honest every tme we go out.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Chris Jones gave me a good tip, to use your ears... feel the breeze on them when it's coming from behind.. seems to work well.

There's always string pulling, if you can match it to other signs so you can use it when your on the shot.

Ciggie smoke... throwing grass etc.

On days that are humid, blowing hard to puff out your cheeks with your mouth closed, then opening your mouth, creates a little bit of visible vapour that lasts for a few seconds.

I often find looking at tree leaves quite baffling unless they're behaving in a blatantly obvious manner...

I've been stumped by windicators, when the wind is behind they can be sucked into a vortex created by your body and give you the complete opposite reading (cost me 3 targets at GP 1 this year)... or trees near to the point can do the same (took me several visits to Weymouth to suss why I had a problem on one lane... a tree 1 foot away from the muzzle)

4. Nealsey

Nealsey Two Tins

I rely on the string and what it's doing to estimate where to aim in wind.

Other than that its just experience and a fair wind :)

Neal

5. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Grass, Ciggie or just ask Sparky and then give it an extra half MilDot:p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D

6. martin c

martin c New Member

look for the pellet marks on the target where everyone else has plated it , then aim off:D:D:D

seriously though its all of the above as nothing is 100%

7. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

ive heard its the wind closer to you that makes a bigger difference rather then the wind down range , anyone else know of this ?:confused:

8. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

You've never shot with big Vinny obviously, you definately do not want to be down range:eek::eek::eek::eek:

9. RobF

Club:
    it makes a bigger difference in it's effect, but not neccessarily in it's amount... if the wind starts to work earlier on the path of the pellet, it deflects more, put it that way.

10. rich

rich Active Member

There are plenty of clues out there as to wind speed and direction. The best of all especially at this time of the year is heat haze. That tells you instantly the direction.

Using your ears is a good technique. Stand with your back to the wind, then slowly turn your head left and right until the noise in both ears is identical. That gives you the direction. If you walk away from the wind, and find that at a good walking pace you can't feel it any more, then the wind will be at the same speed - roughly - as your pace, say 4 mph.

For a basic start I look at the clouds if there are any and then ask myself why should the wind at ground level be in a different direction. There's usually a good reason, or no reason.

11. blackscale

blackscale Member

What if your hearing in both ears is not identical?
    i say ask Sparky.....then do the opposite!:D:D

there is no doubt it is a craft, there is also no better feeling than aiming at sky, only to watch your pellet curl in to the killzone!!:cool::D
    XX

12. rich

rich Active Member

I don't think it matters too much if your hearing is impaired in one ear. Your brain will have compensated for that. We use our ears to determine the point of origin of sound, and even with some hearing defect that skill still exists.

13. RobF

Club:
    I don't tend to listen to the wind, i tend to feel it on the ears. I've found that my ears can be decieved easily... hearing the rush of wind through the canopy, giving it large, and finding the maelstrom hasn't got in between me and the target yet.

14. rich

rich Active Member

I think that is what I'm trying - badly - to say. It is not the sound of a noise as such, more the feeling of the wind on the ears.

15. blackscale

blackscale Member

I knew that!!..:rolleyes::D

To be honest i do the same..i feel the wind on my face, ears...I find it really difficult sometimes watching a branch or nettles, to determine which way it is blowing??...Sometimes it is clear but mostly not!:rolleyes:

The string is still my favourite for initial indication, if it is possible to use it...some unscrupulous clubs 'Pin' the string down in awkward places to make it harder, which is despicable....ang' on we do that!:rolleyes::D

:DX

16. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Don't forget the scooby on the ear ring Mike!;)

Ryan

17. rich

rich Active Member

The best indicator is heat haze. So why do we have winter leagues? :mad:

18. blackscale

blackscale Member

Scooby Dooby Doo!!...Scooby Snacks!!
    Nothing to do with you Pete...just something silly Ryan made me do at Kelmarsh..(Threatened me with violence):eek::D
    There is definately a Flaw in that! :D:D
    HEAT HAZE in britain....You wouldn't wanna rely on that would you!:D:D
    Must be great in the Hot countries though, as you say very 'Readable'

:D

19. rattycatcher

rattycatcher Non member

Assesssing wind direction by looking at the clouds is not very accurate. The wind aloft will be stronger and also veers to the right or clockwise. As wind gets closer to the ground, its speed is reduced and its direction backs off or comes from a few degrees further left.

20. RobF

Club:
    The other flaw is that it can make rangefinding a complete bitch if you use parallax/focus... I had 10yds of movement on one of the targets at GP3. It's all very well it telling you where the wind is going if you haven't got a clue where to aim up on...:eek: