Re- blueing

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by buzz, Jan 10, 2015.

1. buzz

buzz Team Gilly

Club:
    Castle FTC
    I have an old Original 75 that could do with re-blueing,is it possible to do it yourself?if so which products would you recommend, or do you think get it done by others?if by others who would you recommend,any ideas of cost would also be helpful.
    Buzz

2. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I have tried some of the diy stuff and not had much luck, but had fantastic results from Colin Molloy in Manchester,
    I would recommend him for any reblueing work.

3. plinkerpaul

plinkerpaul Member

Club:
    Wendover
    Must say so would I his work is superb.

4. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    SPL blacking in leicester do a top job..i stripped the old blueing off and polished metalwork on my hw77 they charged 20 quid for the blacking, same for my mk1 ev2 barrel and cylinder 20 quid.

5. Maxiboy

Maxiboy New Member

and Shawn at ISP rifles does an amazing job too

6. 18 Wheeler

18 Wheeler Member

I'd also caution against using any of the DIY cold blueing products. They are fine for doing screw heads and small parts but don't give a satisfactory or very durable finish IMO for a whole rifle.

The biggest difficulty may well be stripping the rifle down. The mod.75 is probably the most complicated springer to disassemble and rebuild, with the potential to do some expensive damage if not reassembled correctly.
    There are guides available if you feel it's within your capabilities, but not really one for the inexperienced.
    That said the Giss guns are my favourite recoilless springers and worth restoring.

A professional reblue including the preparation will be in the £60-100 range depending on condition, plus any postage costs.

The most cost effective method may be to disassemble it yourself, do the metal prep and get it blued/blacked by someone like SPL and then take it to uk Neil (Neil Price) for a service and reassembly.

Here's a FWB mod.150T which I did the metal prep on and SPL reblacked. Fairly time consuming but doable with some basic tools (polishing wheels/ electric drill and various grades of wet'n'dry) and patience.

Attached Files:

7. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Shaun at ISP does an excellent job.

8. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Excellent advice given the rifle.

I had a FN19 done by Colin Malloy. I stripped everything and took the metal bits to him. It cost me about 50 quid and the reblue was deep and very impressive. FN19's are a doddle though compared to a 75 Giss system.

9. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Unless it's really bad leave well alone.

I have an NJR with an original NJR walnut ft stock.
    There's are some blemishes on the bluing and the odd mark on the stock but it adds to the character of the piece.

I think refinishing either would devalue it. :shot:

10. buzz

buzz Team Gilly

Club:
    Castle FTC
    I did not realise i would have to strip it down,i think i will not bother as it was serviced last week,if i take it to bits i may as well put it straight in the bin as it will never work again,i have been recommended a product called woodfords polish has anyone else tried this,i have been told it will hide most of the blemishes and buff up the rest of the rifle as well,any thoughts?
    Buzz

11. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Leave it. Shoot it.