Rangesports Rangemarkings

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by RobF, Jan 25, 2009.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Dave C has always been complaining that he needs glasses for shooting. Not to see the target, just to read his numbers! I've also been grumbling about how my permanent marker on my wheel isn't that permanent, and how Dave C needs an afternoon and more kit than a surgeon's theatre just to change his markings.

I've never found something as easy as simply writing the numbers on my wheels. I ask Jon to polish the rims of my wheels when he makes them for this very reason. I can't be bothered with all the sticky stuff, and I want my markings exactly where I want them, not where they stuck by mistake, or where they slid to when hot or wet.

Dave Hutton of Rangesports, who makes all things sticker-like to adorn his shooting products, reckons he has the answer to all the problems above. Clear, easy to apply, weatherproof stickers, exactly how you'd want.

Having 10 mins I decided to give one a go. He's neatly cut out numbers for a wheel, and turrets, so they are simple to apply, in the same way you'd apply any other transfer or sticker. At the moment the numbers are a test series, but he's working on different ones. He might also be able to do colour as well. It might be some, with better eyesight might prefer thinner lines.

I've applied a turret sticker as well because I lose a target every few meets to me misdialing or misreading the dial.

Dave says this stuff on these stickers is what's used to stick logos etc to the side of vans and it has a weatherproof seal. If they survive the winter league, i'll then do a test to see if they move under temperatue, but Dave reckons the only thing that should see them shift is prolonged exposure to a hair dryer.

To test the adhesion, before application, I cleaned the wheel only with solvent, and left the turret as it was. This means I should be able to tell if they move due to bad application or not.

I have a meet next weekend, so we'll see how they do, but they look very promising.

So here's the pics...

So here's the problem. 25yds has completely gone. My 8-10's also rub off as it's where I tend to grip the wheel.

[​IMG]

Rangesport's product. Neatly cut out, a series of numbers for turret and wheel. There may be some different or more numbers needed, but the proof of concept is sound.

[​IMG]

Applied to the wheel...

[​IMG]

Applied to the turret...

[​IMG]

2. RobF

Club:
    Notice that Dave leaves his mistakes to his own numbers. His number should read 01202 854634 :rolleyes:

3. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Looks good. I'm another that usually goes for the permanent marker option as I can't be bothered with little bits of paper and clear tape. I'll look forward to getting my hands on some of these stickers. I'm actually a little surprised that it hasn't been done before.

4. dimmer0707

dimmer0707 Member

Thats the good thing about Dave at rangesports he is a shooter :).And all the stuff on his website has been asked for by the guy he shoots with top fella is Dave .

5. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Any idea of when they'll be available?

6. RobF

Club:
    Dave says they are available as of yesterday. He's done a revision to them... haven't seen that yet.

7. D J H

D J H RangeSports

revision

Well to start with I photoshopped the phone number! - duh. Now you know why I need you to tell me which numbers you need!!

They are on the website and the revised version with additional numbers and spare blank pointers will be ready to post thursday morning. Also the turret marking labels are a bit taller so the artwork fits better.

Now available in black with white markings and grey with black letters and white markings (which may suit ali wheels/turrets better).

In addition (following some good feedback, thanks Phil) I've got some even bigger turret labels which are 10mm high/6.6mm wide. Standard ones are 7mm x 5mm . Available in black or grey.

Let me know how you get on with them Rob

DJ

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  8. RobF

Club:
    forgot I had taken these...

these are the ammended ones, grey, large, and black... with the spare stickers.

[​IMG]

9. RobF

Club:
    Well, nearly a year later, they're still stuck on. Been through sub zero, silly wet, and super hot in SA (44 degrees C) and they've not slipped or peeled off.

Just thought i'd mention it in case someone was wondering.

Dave tells me he's done some other numbers as well. I'll see if i can grab a set when I eventually get over to sort the prize hoodies out :)

10. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

Rob

defo agree with the comments - got them cold/wet and no problems - more han can be said about the shooter mind :eek:

11. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    they r good matey looks like the lups having xmas present matey and the t35

12. D J H

D J H RangeSports

That's good to hear (phew!) a comprehensive test there Rob

DJ

13. popsheep

popsheep Lee Marvin & the Shadows

on the HFT side of things

We at Mad what just like to add that Rangesports do a fantastic range of things for the HFT side of the sport ,quality and value for money are second to none ,just a great product ,you wont be dissapointed

14. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Chris if I may have a look next time we all meet up (Dowry Hill I think)

Will

15. Daztilley

Daztilley New Member

Club:
    Scotia
    Rob - are you still using the stickers??

I'm looking at a simple way to mark up my sidewheel and turret

Cheers
    Daz

16. Steel Sniper

Steel Sniper New Member

I'm using these on both my wife's and my guns without problem.

Andy

17. RobF

Club:
    Yep they're still on one rig. Just never got around to putting them on my march. They're still on that rig. Never came off. :)

18. Daztilley

Daztilley New Member

Club:
    Scotia
    Sounds like they're a winner then!!

I'll get some i think....

Cheers
    Daz

19. Daztilley

Daztilley New Member

Club:
    Scotia
    Got a set of turret/sidewheel marker stickers and they do look very good! Haven't put em on the scope yet.......

Also got a personalised pellet pouch too: [​IMG]

20. RobF

Club:
    Cripes, was it really 2009 that v1 of these were launched?

Here's the new improved v2 set!

Anyway, popped in to Dave's today for a chinwag and a cup of tea. Never got the tea. Did have plenty to chinwag about (kneeling rolls, his new laser cutter/engraver/sculpting machine, project X and Y etc).

But anyway, in the midst of Dave showing me all his new toys I spied these on a shelf, which seemed to be different. These are done on his new machine which is far more accurate than before, which means they cut neater and straighter, which means he can pack more on a sheet. The white parts are actually where the black layer has been removed leaving the white of the material below... clever stuff. He can do them in grey as well. I've seen them in chrome, which may sound nice, but actually is so shiny it's hard to read the numbers...

Might be a bit tight for xmas, but perhaps something to spend that money that granny put in your christmas card...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• RS2.jpg
      RS2.jpg
      File size:
      229.5 KB
      Views: