Rangefinder on the course

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Conor, Mar 21, 2010.

?

Rangefinders on a course

1. NEVER - except in extreme circumstance for chief marshal to check target legallity

29 vote(s)
    90.6%
  2. Yes - just to check scope parralax settings

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Whats your thoughts on a rangefinder being used on a course?
    Do you allow them even if its only on a practice/club shoot?
    Are competitors allowed to have them in their pocket at a shoot to check target distance with their scope parralax?
    I think they should ONLY be used if someone questions the legallity of a target distance, after the course has been completed though.
    Thanks Conor

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. Steve_B_Welsh

Steve_B_Welsh New Member

I second that, range finding using your scope is a part FT.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    if it's a comp no... and the legality goes out the window because everyone shoots the same target, so it stays, under or over.

to be honest, i don't trust the things anyway, i'd much rather run a tape out.

4. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Never, full stop. Anyone found with a rangefinder or range card on a UKAHFT course would be DQ'd:cool:

And then ridiculed ...... Forever:D

5. Conor

Club:
    I like your style:D:D

6. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I will never use one.
    All targets that need it are measured by tape when i set out our course, thats only reduces, full at 8 or 55, standers / kneelers. Dont take long and its part of good course building /desing.

When we have used rangefinders, they have never been accurate enough. a yard is a yard!

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    That's my problem with them.

8. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    yard is a yard on a new tape what about an old one but being pulled over distances and over time they will stretch
    I use nikon range finder I find accurate when used against a brand new tape only problem it only comes down to 11yards and does 1/2 yd intervals
    I don,t know measuring stick B/Gwent use think its the MK1 eye ball :eek:
    Gary

9. Pepone

Pepone WFTF World Champion 2010

Club:
    Villarrubio FT
    I use a nikon 550 for setup the course, standing-knealing shots and reducers, but not used when the competition starts.

10. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I have used one when practising on our club course, after making my judgement and taking the shot i will range it with the rangefinder to see if my judgement was correct, i see it as a learning aid in this instance but i agree that anyone found with one on them during a comp should be dissqualified.
    I have got the Nikon one too, measures to half a yard it is very good

11. lcp

lcp Member

badly worded poll title

this is another example of a badly worded poll title ie rangefinder on the course. l was about to state no but thought there are occasions when a rangefinder is of value when practicing. For example when we shoot competitions at our club a rangefinder can be used when setting up a course to ensure that some course builders do not flout the rules to advantage themselves but cannot be used at any time during the shoot.

However when shooting for practice at club shoots if l shoot a target and miss very high or low and l want to confirm that i maybe had a flier as opposed to misranging the target the use of a rangefinder is fine. It will not have any effect on anyone else as it is only practice and for someone else to tell me what l should or should not do when practicing i would politely tell them where to go. Practice sessions are were you learn about your kit and other aspects of the sport. It would be the same if i decided to shoot the whole course sitting or standing during practice - its what l want to do and its not up to another club member to tell me how l should practice.
    So my answer would be no to rangefinder use during competition
    yes to rangefinder use during non competition if thats what you wish to do.
    but unfortunately l cant answer the poll as it does not define if the course is competition or practice.
    perhaps the poll wording could be changed so the answers would have more meaning.
    only a suggestion;)

12. popsheep

popsheep Lee Marvin & the Shadows

Range finder ????

They are great I use one all the time .Not a Nikon for me,, just

The Old Mk 1 EYE-Ball.

13. Conor

Club:
    I think the title does exactly what it says on the tin, in other words is using a rangefinder on a course a yeah or a neah, simple really (no matter what the shoot is).:)

Do please explain the above?:confused:

Conor

14. Jon

Jon Member

I have seen highly regarded people use a tape measure after a complaint. It dont take much brain to figure the distance will be longer as the tape is allowed to drop from target up a tree, follow a couple of brook hollows, every ripple, and several high grass patches each one over a foot high, no wonder they said it was 57 yards.

You can always tell someone who has used a cheap to mediocre laser to set a course out, often targets are over range. Also too easy to fool, point at a target in open field fine within 3 yards, then point at a tractor rut some 15 yards shorter, same reading.
    The only laser found to date i would trust is a Swarovski, works in pitch black to bright sunlight, cant say that about any other.
    Seen and heard numerous people state, ive checked it against a tape measure, fine but that was at that moment in time and only on one target in that light.

So answer would be even if allowed, i wouldnt trust them.

15. ROSCO

ROSCO New Member

FUNNY THING,not so long ago L.S.R KOMMER was using a cheap range finder on our course at loughgall during a club shoot,i know this as I was his shooting partner,he was not so sure about his range finders accuracy so he asked me to get my old trusty bushnell from my car to calibrate the different readings of the targets :confused: L.S.R NOT PRACTICING WHAT HE PREACHES:D:D WHAT'S NEW?????????

16. lcp

lcp Member

I think the title does exactly what it says on the tin, in other words is using a rangefinder on a course a yeah or a neah, simple really (no matter what the shoot is).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lcp
    a rangefinder can be used when setting up a course to ensure that some course builders do not flout the rules to advantage themselves

Do please explain the above?

Conor

I think it means exactly what it says on the tin, nothing to be confused about;)

17. lcp

lcp Member

yeah, remember this as well, he must be referring to the times other people use a rangefinder although would seem to suggest pot, kettle,black, whats good for the goose - my old grandma used to quote somthing like this - cant really remember must be getting old - now where did l put my trusty rangefinder, ah its in my secret pocket in the coat i use for competitions. god dammit meant to send this as a pm rosco now my secret is out. next thing is we wont be able to twiddle with our knobs during a shoot and we will have to use those digital things - watchstops l think there called:D:D

18. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Some rangefinders are better than others at picking out the target plate. I have tested al the ones I have had on a steel surveyors tape and found they are all accurate to+/- 0.5yd by walking back along the tape. Can t speak for budget or unbranded models though.
    I think you will find it difficult to better the lasers accuracy when using a tape on rough ground. The slightest dip or bush will add more than you may think to the range. The laser is direct to the target face, the distance which counts.

I use the laser to check and calibrate the scopes range finding. I will also use it for spot checks on practice course to check I am getting consistency.

As for use on a Competition day, definitely NOT ALLOWED.
    Always shoot to you re scope, after all if your bullet drop matches you re found range on the zero range, it should work on the comp.

On one winter league I shot 2 targets at 57/58 yd, dialled accordingly and shot /killed them. As they were pulling the targets in, snapped them with the laser on the quiet at 57&58. This is little unfair as a few of the home shooters were aware of this. The question it, who is in the wrong in this case. Maybe course setters sould consider this can be done legitimatley.

As for HFT, who needs a rangefinder out to 45yd when the drop is only ¾ of a kill from 30yd zero, more trouble than its worth.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  19. lcp

lcp Member

not wrong

Dont feel you were wrong at all jev as comp had finished. Cant see the sense at all in saying they should not be used when practicing. would like to hear the reasons for that.

20. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I thought rangefinders were against the comp rules anyway?
    My concern is the ranges of targets on the zero range. If I go to another club and check my zero before the comp, I would like to be able to laser the zero targets to make sure they are at the ranges they claim to be. Otherwise I might be "unzeroing" my gun!