range stop signal

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Cosford, May 19, 2013.

1. Cosford

Cosford New Member

Club:
    Cosford
    just a simple question
    if your HFT / FT / SARC course is split over two separate sections, each safe from the other totally,is there any reason to stop you using a whistle for 1 section and a klaxon on the other to indicate a stop and restart.
    this would allow the unaffected section to continue. and if not why?

2. paula

paula Senior Member

would all shooters on each course know which side was on a cease fire ? perhaps it'd be safer to keep things simple as in a cease fire stops both sides ???

3. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Defo safer if all stop if one person didnt realise that the signal was for on particular side they could become confused as they would hear other shots taking place and prob carry on shooting defo safe than sorry

4. Cosford

Cosford New Member

Club:
    Cosford
    if it is made clear to all shooters before the session starts which signal is for their section I would expect this to be not an issue.

5. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Having one signal takes out any risk of it being forgotten or misunderstood, just keep it the same as everywhere else and there's less risk.

6. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    When it comes to safety, it's better to err on the side of caution.

Turn the question on its head - rather than asking why shouldn't you, ask why should you? Which is safer? If you're putting a shoot on expecting to have lots of stoppages, spend a bit more time preparing and testing your targets. Make sure bolts are tight, strings are double tied etc.

Here's a couple of scenarios for you :
    First off, someone on the course hears a whistle and isn't sure it means they need to stop shooting because they're confused about which part of the course they're on.

Secondly, course A stops correctly, and course B carries on (correctly again).
    Someone on course A hears shooting going on and assumes the ceasefire is over but they didn't hear two whistles.

I can think of other scenarios that could be potentially dangerous too and the only reason I can think of to take such a risk is to save a couple of minutes delay. Is it really worth the risk?

My opinion is no, taking risks with people's safety is never worth it.

7. ccolbeck

ccolbeck New Member

Club:
    Guiseley FTC
    This system was used at the HFT world championships at Kelmarsh with no problems at all the 2 different sounds (whistle and horn) were explained at the briefing and as far as I saw there was no confusion.:)

8. aitchuk

aitchuk Member

Club:
    redfearns
    What you quote is the same situation we used to have at the anglo american shoot two differant courses using differant signals and all the shooters knowing wich course they where on. The question was refering to one course split in two so for the sake of safty only one signal should be used as there could be confusion as to where you were on the course K.I.S.S works every time :cool:

Aitch

9. ccolbeck

ccolbeck New Member

Club:
    Guiseley FTC
    Sorry Aitch I agree, if it is one course split into two parts then only one signal should be used. It may also be worth checking that it can be heard from one part to the other at the greatest distance depending on how far they are split apart.