range finding

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by bob64, Aug 4, 2011.

1. bob64

bob64 New Member

Club:
    emley ftc
    hi,lads first post on here, i,ve just got a nikko diamond mk3 12-50x60 and 5" side wheel thought i,ll mark it all
    up at the club zero range all targets exact set out 10yds to 55yds ,range found every one on full mag till they snapped in to clear focus every thing marked up and done. next time down at the range the range markings on my wheel didn,t match with the known ranges marks what am i doing wrong the 55yd range was only showing 45yards on my wheel help please bob

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    get a 50m tape and do your own ranges that you know are exact. Always turn the wheel the same way to focus, also avoid really hot and bright days.
    Probably best to ask an experienced FT shooter at the club to help and/or check all is ok.

3. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Possible difference in light i do find theres a bit of difference on an overcast day than a bright sunshine day not 10yrds though.

make sure your not tired as that also will not help and are you looking at white paper or targets? Sounds silly but it really does make a difference.

loops

4. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Hi Bob,

big Nikkos are usually very good range finders.

Two things I suggest:

1) is is possible that your sidewheel has moved?
    2) Was it hot when you first set your ranges?

Scopes do move in the heat, that's why you'll see many folk with temperature strips on their scopes.

regards Shaun

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    could be silly, but are you ranging on the same mag as you set up on?

6. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Avoid changing the eyebell focus at any time after you have marked your sidewheel. That will change the place on the sidewheel that corresponds to distances.

If you must set your focus to suit your eye, do it prior to marking the sidewheel.

7. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

There are many problems with "mis-using" the focus wheel for range finding. (Don't forget scopes are not designed to range find)
    The list of things that can mess up ranging includes;
    The way you turn the wheel
    Different light levels
    Different colour/texture targets
    Different temperatures (Of the air/and/or the scope!) The scope may be heating up or cooling down very quickly at times ie. when it goes from house/vehicle to zero range or going from full sun to shade. You may need to give it time to "relax" before setting it up and minimise some of these extremes.

And a problem I'm now working on is eyesight change. I am now sure my eyes focus differently at different times and it may be tiredness or dehydration or age!:eek: Or a combination of all three.

Good luck,
    Big Nikko's are known to be good at range finding so you might have an easier time than some people.

Atb

Alec.

8. PeteM

PeteM New Member

I concur with all the above, these are facts....

9. bob64

bob64 New Member

Club:
    emley ftc
    thanks lads it was a very hot sunny day when i set it up will re do it under normal conditions cheers bob