Range finding with a leup

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by villiers, Oct 12, 2009.

1. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Hi question of the day i have a Leupold 20x50 the ret has one dot up and one down 3 left 3 to the right of the crosshair on 50mag they fit just inside a 40mm kill at 50 yards at 55yards just to the out side of a 40mm kill is this made like this ? any idea what the name of this ret is?.:)Can i use this a a double check on my range finding as in the dark of a wood i alway range up short?.
    Cheers Don:)

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    i think Nick Jenkins may have had something to do with the ret you describe, but i may be wrong? Someone with moe FT knowledge will surely be along to let us know. I never could rangefind with a Leupold!:mad:

3. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    Sounds to me like a modified 27# RET, Mine which is a 27# has one dot above crosshair and three Dots below with 3 horizontal each side, I have seen the RET you describe in another leup, I am sure it was not designed for range finding but I am sure you could work out a system to be able to use it that way, My 27# is set to 40 mag which means If i set my power to 40 mag and zero at 40 yards, The dot above is 35 yrds and then the dots below go 45,50 and 55 respectively, If I look at a 40mm kill at 55 yrds it fits perfectly within the 4 centre Dots. As above both RET's were designed by Nick Jenkinson.

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Scope ?

the mistake most people make with a 20+50 is to use top mag to range on . you do not need to do it . i use 32 mag . and never take it off that setting . do not let your eye settle , by that i mean keep the side wheel moving . bring it in and out allways from the up position . IE 70 yards . once twice three times and that is the range . remember that the lupe is light and dark sensitive . but mostly heat and cold sensitive . mine is set up for the summmer . once it goes past 60 degees it is right . in the winter it will come in short . leave the rifle out to acclimatise for 15 mins then check on the zero range of a shoot to see how they are coming in . if say the range is five yards out . take the side wheel to the end of it's travel and lightly tap it on the limiter a couple of times and then when you bring the range in next time it shold be only two and a half yards out ? sounds a pain all this . but it is worth it in the end ??? HOLLY

5. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Or - buy a couple of big Nikkos and save yourself all that faffing about ;)

6. Jon

Jon Member

Well Hols you are the only one i know that does it that way, every one else goes low to high and use full mag available.
    Not all Leups move with temp there again you have the old model, Chris and me have the newer jobby Feb 2004 onwards.

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Try ?

but have you ever tried it ? i came up from the MK4 . 32 mag . so that is what i am used to .i can range on 20 mag with it out to 45 yards if i have to . in theory you should range on 50 mag then zoom down to 20 mag to shoot on and thats what a lot of people do . but why be a lot of people why not find what works for you . the later 20+50s do not have the same quality lenses as the early ones and once you know how they work it is not a problem . cept when the temp goes way down to below zero . as for the BIG BSAs and the nikkos ( same thing ) i have shot with a lot and i mean a lot of of shooters who when it got really dark . rainy and nasty . or with the sun behind em , shooting into a wood ( euros ) who gave up trying to find the target and shot there pellet into the ground .i have just bought a COMP X to use in the winter . good enough for Big O . it's good enough for me ??? HOLLY

8. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Matt Hirst's old Mk4 had the ret described above that was a cracking little scope. Can't remember exactly what the dots equated to.

Likewise agree with Jon my 18-40 dates from mid 2004 and has been stable as far as heat goes and always range from close to far and doesn't need to be turned to the limit to reset.

9. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Well - I can honestly say that I have never had to fire a pellet into the ground while using a Nikko (or ever witnessed it) - must be a southern thing I suppose if you have seen "a lot of shooters" do it :D ;)

Sun straight down the nikko (from in front of the shooter) is normally the worst problem. Never suffered when sun behind me. Even when sun is in front you can get round the problem and a sun shade does help.

The Nikko will also range well on 40 mag - I used to only use 40 mag for years. My old Nikko has a few age related problems now and I have upped the mag to 50 for ranging. Almost time to put the old girl out to pasture and strap a new one to the top of my gun.

I have used just about every scope in the last 10 years and I keep on going back to the Nikko - it works for me. I have heard enough stories of people second guessing their Leup 20-50s and over riding the ranges that they get from them to know that it would not inspire confidence for me and therfore it wouldn't get strapped to my gun.

As for the Leup comp - good luck with that thin ret when the darkness descends ;)

Dave.

10. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    The Ret ?

I had one of the first comp Xs . sold it cos i kept losing the benchrest dot on the dark targets . BUT this one has just come back from lupes after a service and a ret change to the leupold dot with thick to thin lines . OH BLOOMING YES ??? HOLLY

11. TeamZ

TeamZ Member

Club:
    Castle
    i have two of the competition series, a 40 mag and a 45 mag, one with a target dot and one with just a fine crosshair. Never lost the crosshair yet, even at this years Euros - can t get a better scope and they range like a dream, especially the 45 mag - beauty!!

Cheers

Chris

ps I will be so embarrassed if I loose the crosshair this Sunday!!!!! :D:D

12. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Same here Chris , since changing to a Leupold 40 x Comp it has gained me at least 2 if not 3 targets, the only thing is the narrow field of view but i soon got used to that. As for the Euro's i think i would have struggled personally without it ! But same as anything not everyones cuppa !But 3 of the best shooters in NEFTA use Big Nikko's Andy Calpin,Dave Semmens & John Lee.
    Bloodly hell started rambling on then , what do i know anyway :D

Living the Dream
    Scott,

13. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    The Range .

The fella i bought this off could not get on with the rangefinding . he had come over from an 18+40 lupe with front PA . and just could not get used to the huge gaps between ranges . he was getting eye strain trying to get perfect focus .i told him that on the comp X you do not need to do it . just bring it in to clear ( not perfect ) read off the range . stick it on the top turret and shoot . but he did not want to change . his loss my gain ??? HOLLY

14. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

When I get old I'll get an S&B for sit down knob twiddling:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D

15. ascoughc

ascoughc Member

i have a 20-50 on my ev2 and i range find at 50 or 40. when i first got it i did sometimes get a target at 2 different ranges, i found you had to move the wheel only one way to focus rather than over and then back again.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  16. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    i range on 40 with my 20-50 leup

more than good enough :D

mines not temperature sensitive but if you have light coming behind you like at the euros it doesnt like it :eek: easily solved with a eye enhancer or a hat though

much better than ANY nikko i have used :D

17. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Trev and Ian use Leups (18-40 and 20-50's) and Pete uses a Comp - its all down to personal preference.

I was more worried about Holly and the ret on the comp as he is quite old now ;) :p but it sounds like he has a thicker ret fitted to it anyway.

My old Comp range found better than any scope I have ever owned but the ret was very thin (it was a premier ret but still very thin) and I did lose it on a couple of occassions. I also wanted soemthing that I could use on lower mag (I now shoot on 15 mag) and the Comp would not let me do that. It seemed quite stable in temperature changes.

I still like my Nikko though :)

Dave.

18. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Old ?

Quite Old . BLO-DY OLD more like it . but my old toot as long as i am in front of you , i will not start to worry yet ??? HOLLY

19. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

It's all about your eyes. Some scopes work for some and not for others. I love Leups but find them too fussy when rangeing. I tend to find that they seem to stay in focus over five yards or more. Others using the same scope would see it snapping in and out without any effort. Naturally, they'll use one, I won't. There's little point in being able to see perfectly where I've missed!;):D For that reason I stick to my optically inferior Big Nikko. I'm well aware that they aren't the last word in quality but I can rangefind pretty damned well with it. It just works for me.

20. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Which is why I have gone back to my pld Custom Shop 8-40 from 1996. Works OK for me but tried a few other scopes and could not get on with them.