Quickfill

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by rubi-tong, Jan 25, 2010.

1. rubi-tong

rubi-tong Bernies MY *****

Hi again, are there any down sides to having the cylinder quickfilled apart from no gauge? is the rifle affected in any way, or will it shoot the same as it is now?
    Thinking of getting one but don't want to risk making the rifle bad.

Regards, Mark

2. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    first thing I had done to my Steyr LG100 around 6 years ago very slight increase in weight at muzzle (not really noticeable and would make the front end more stable so not a disadvantage) you can have a quick fill with the quage fitted to the dust cover

Gary

3. rubi-tong

rubi-tong Bernies MY *****

Cheers Gary, so it won't affect the reg pressure or anything like that? It's just I heard (somewhere) not to do it as it affects the reg for some reason????
    I've got the chance to do a swap for a quick fill one but want the facts before jumping in.

Mark

4. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    I read somewhere the opposite, that the quick fill is better because won't reset the regulator, so the first shoot after the fill won't be low.

But I believe that resetting the regulator could be a good thing because the piston travels a long extension and don't settle in a small area.

5. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Fitting a quick fill won't affect the front end weight much unless you go for the Gauge type that Hydrographics fit which are quite heavy.

I'm not sure it's going to make much difference to you reg operation, currently you are wasting the air in your reg every time you unscrew the cylinder as most but not all regs dump the air. It may be that a reg & firing valve will in the long run work better with a quick fill as the seals are always under pressure, whereas when unscrewing the cylinder to fill, the seals are unpressurised & could relax but it's for such a short time that I'm not sure it will make any difference apart from maybe allowing the ingress of dirt.

On the other hand I could see it making a difference if you stored your rifle without the cylinder as this would give seals a chance to change shape, they would then slowly conform to their seats once the cylinder is screwed back on.