Questions on Optics

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by heidi, Sep 26, 2014.

1. heidi

heidi AA MPR, BSA ULTRA

Club:
    Shootability Norfolk
    This is not to start a disagreement just a simple question

If Nikko Stirling as so bad [ it appears they are on the various rifle forums around the world] Why does the big Nikko Stirling sell for so much ?

I'm starting to think that some are getting the Nikko Bit confused for the Nikkor which is a sub derivative of Nikon as in the early camera world

2. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    First of all, don't believe everything you read on forums, you have no way of measuring how competent the person writing the post is.

Scopes are complex pieces of equipment and you'll always get good and bad ones regardless of the brand and cost.

I've got a Nikko and it's pretty good but it takes a long time to learn your scope and most people don't put the time in and expect to shoot like AA shooters because they've spent 1K on it. Good equipment helps but it's no substitute for practice.

3. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Donkey's years ago....

Can't really contribute to a technical discussion on this interesting subject, but...

Back in the '80s I used to do a lot of springer shooting. "Cheaper" scopes were great, but they didn't like rain/damp or being knocked against trees, laid on the ground etc... "More expensive" scopes were far more resilient.

Both were equally capable in assisting me taking out rabbits, squirrels and flying rats.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  4. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Perhaps it isn't as bad as people on forums from around the world believe?

The trouble with forums is that you're not always aware of the experience and skill level of the person posting and you're not always aware of intended purpose of the scope either.

I've only had 1 Big Nikko - a Mk2 and it was excellent for FT. Andy Calpin uses a Mk2 Nikko and has won the Grand Prix series for the past 2 years running. Can't be too bad can it ;)

Having said that, for the money if I wanted a big, heavy sidewheel scope, personally I'd be tempted to spend a little more and go for a Sightron.

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Probably confusing two different scopes.

There's the much cheaper Nikko Stirling Nighteater, which originally came in 8-32 x 56 and then was launched in a higher mag 10-50x56. Then there's the 'big Nikko', Nikko Stirling Diamond10-50x60, which has gone through several mk's and has been widely used in FT to quite some success. Andy Calpin uses one.

There seems to be personal taste as to what mk of big nikko people prefer... and the BSA 10-50x60 was the same thing before it's name changed to Nikko.

6. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    The big Nikko is a relatively expensive scope, and a lot of the other Nikko Stirling scopes are 'cheap scopes', with all that comes with that.
    BTW, all new and current Nikon lenses are still called Nikkors.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  7. Xbank

Xbank Member

Club:
    Nelson ARFTC
    Question on Optics

I understand that the "big" Nikkos ie the Diamond 10-50x60 arestill made in Japan with Japanese optics which accounts both for their price and quality. All other Nikko scopes are made elsewhere in the far East with perhaps less quality that reflects their cheaper prices.

8. Akita

Akita Member

Club:
    Greyhound & Purley Chase
    I would guess alot of peoples experience of Nikko scopes are scopes like the mountmaster series and there are some bad examples of this model.
    So generalise Nikko being rubbish with there experience they had with a poor example/model.

Ive got what i think is a late 1980`s Nikko Plantinum 6x45 W.A Ruby and the image quality is amazing.

9. Doberman1979

Doberman1979 Not so senior member

Club:
    Emley
    Hi

Bought a Big Nikko about 3 weeks ago and am chuffed to bits. Worth every penny of the £600+ quid :eek: