Question?

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by greenman, Jan 3, 2011.

1. greenman

greenman Member

Thinking of buying a steyr hunter,unsure of in what calibre just known im drawn to them.My question is what is it that is so special about the steyr,what sets them apart ? silly question maybe but pls humour me...thanks Jerry

2. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    My question is what are you going to do with it hunt, ft or hft.?

3. greenman

greenman Member

Hi,hunt .but with something ultmately accurate...was veering toward .20 cal .

4. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I would stick to .177 if only for the resale value.
    What sets them apart for me, is their accuracy, consistancy, balance, trigger, looks and build quality.
    Did I miss anything out?

5. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    For me it would be .17 as a pellet in the right place will do the job , and as it is so much flater it makes up for some miss rangeing , it makes very little different if its a 4,5 mm hole or 5.5 mm through the brain box. And as what has been said if you ever do sell it , it will move a lot faster in.17 as the Steyr is more geared to the target market and .17 is king there.
    Cheers Don

6. tokoloshe

tokoloshe Twang ****!

Club:
    Springfield & Seac
    Yeah - easy to set up and maintain by yourself, a must for any target shooter. I've got the new hunter and its light in the field and deadly accurate. Best gun available straight out the box imo!Just fit a standard transfer port and off you go!

7. greenman

greenman Member

ok fellas thank you .I have been shooting like many of you ,ever since i was big enough to hold a vulcan.Got a few rifles but i sure do value the knowledge and advice of others who know these beatifully engineered austrian beasts far better than i.They are an awful lot of money and i just need to be sure that they are worth what is being asked for.
    .177 it is then and the Hunter looks nice.They look to have them in the sportsmans gun centre in exeter,bit closer than blackpool.Looks to come with the rail but im not sure..The hunter seems to be missing the stabiliser? is that an issue

8. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    As much as it pains me to say , check if it has come the steyr uk agent the Blackpool airgun ones do some others dont;) if you have a problem and it's not a steyr uk one you may run into problems getting it fixed asap.
    Harry P does not like greys.:eek:

9. greenman

greenman Member

they are a huge outfit and sell all steyrs up to .50 cal sniper jobbys tippin the scales at 30 odd lbs...i should imagine they are ok

Attached Files:

10. greenman

greenman Member

he,s a big boy....have to practice on your rangfinding out to at least two miles lol

11. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    There is Steyr Air Weapons , and there is Steyr Mannlicher two very different companys the Lg110 you buy from Sportsman will have to go back to Germany if they have a problem , where the UK ones sold by Harry Preston are repaired in the UK.

12. Mally106

Mally106 Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Steyr

Hello Fella,

Got myself a new Steyr Hunter in .177 a few months ago.

If you buy one sourced from Steyr Uk it should come with match trigger and the stabilizer fitted ( mine did ) it will not come with the scope rail and this is a £100 extra but you will not need that for hunting?
    As one of the other lads mentioned you would need to change the transfer port for a standard black one which totally changes the way the rifle shoots.This you can get of this site for around £30 and takes 30 seconds to fit.

Changed this on mine and have also upgraded to the new hammer and spring. I am hoping to use my Steyr with the hunter stock and a low scope setup for HFT and a change of stock to the FT stock and my big nikko for FT rig.

Still setting the rifle up but it is very very accurate the only thing that let's it down is me!

Try Intershoot on the web cheapest price for a new one

13. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    you cannot buy a steyl mannlicher they were lg1oo barley twist these hav stopped being made on or near 1800 serial when anshutz brought 51% of the buisness for the stabizler,this is when steyr stopped making the hand forged barrels and then started to fit their own,and the steyr logo changed to steyr austria on the gun,when they made some tweaks early 2000 serial the 110 come out in silver and cost of the black woz to much to do,new 1s now is 6000 serial numbers

14. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    also you can buy steyr's through other soarce instead of mr preston you can buy direct or in germany and get it shipped etc,personally i would not bother with mr preston he will rip u off for parts

15. Fox

Fox Member

Hi, I too have been thinking about a Steyr lately( tho min would be for FT ) so thanks to Greenman / Jerry for starting thread & I dont mean to highjack it.

I have one consern I would be mounting a Nikko 10-50. on top of that scope rail would it be too high? am thinking more of in the standing position.

Thanks
    Clive

16. villiers

Club:
    Bisley
    Yes i do know you can , i had one from SportsmanGun and it was fine , but in the eyes of the UK supplyer its a grey and he as a rule wont repair or service them or if he does it will cost you.It may have changed but when i needed some help he was not a happy camper.

17. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    I have the Hunter in .177 but I have the FT stock etc on it and I have now put on my FT scope (Tasco CS) on the Steyr rail to do HFT, hunting and who knows, FT one day! I'm going to shoot my next HFT comp with the FT set up and see how I get on. Personally I don't know why there is such an issue with the two disciplines and set up. My Tasco seems to work at all the HFT ranges turned down to x8 and 20M parallax. Anyway, time will tell.
    Back on topic, Sportsman Gun Center are not genuine UK imports for what it's worth, BAR are. Awesome rifle, might want to get a moderator on though, it does have quite a crack without. I've got photos of mine in my sig with the one UK Neil made for me.
    I use mine for hunting and HFT competitions.

18. greenman

greenman Member

Bloody hell im confused,but thanks fellas.Tried intershoot and yes they are cheap but you cant order one.I take it they dont have them.Tell me...mechanically,are the imports pretty much the same? oh and where can i get this black seal that seems to improve things pls .Harry seems to have a strangle hold on this product

19. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    Crispro might be able to get one, or Rob in the NL.(sorry if I shouldn't have mentioned you!) It's not a show stopper without it, but you do get more shots per charge with the black port. Having shot both my Steys, one with the stabilizer and the hunter without, I would defy anyone who isn't at the very top of the shooting game to justify the difference; however, the snob in me would like to fit one to my hunter anyway!:p

Honestly, out of the box these are great, but you can play or add things; the trigger blade for example I'm not to keen on the HP and Hunters, but it's easy to fit the FT or another aftermarket one on, if you wish.

20. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    ive got mine 3 and half inchs from the centre of barrel so high matey find it spot on matey but u might hav to hav a new check adjuster made to go higher,im on extreme burris mounts extra high wth steyr rail