question regarding shooting technique

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by shoki, Jul 31, 2013.

1. shoki

shoki New Member

ok, here's a question
    When shooting springers: how important is to have your cheek firmly on cheek rest?
    What part exactly should be pressed on the cheek rest? how hard?
    I got a new set of scope mounts that are higher than my last one, so now i need to pad the part of my stock where i rest my cheek.
    So how high should i pad it? Should i just put my cheek lightly on it? should i press it firmly? I am lost
    thanks

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I prefer a light touch on mine. Mine is set so my eye goes to scope for rangefinding yet with little contact.

3. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I have a custom Paul Wilson stock on my 77 springer which has a very high cheekpiece area.

I decided ( rightly or wrongly ) to let the weight of my head rest against the cheekpiece naturally and zero at that.

I did that because I presume that the key thing is having the same pressure every time. If I have to conciously try and push harder than natural or try and put a lighter pressure than natural then it will be difficult to get the same pressure everytime, as there will be face/neck muscles pulling, whereas just letting the natural weight rest reduces muscle use/tension.

Does that make sense?

Height wise my stock has a fixed very high cheekpiece. So I had to slide cheek up and down with natural weight until eye lined up with scope.

4. rich

rich Active Member

I set up my PCPs so that the weight of my head is firmly on the cheekpiece.

For me, this doesn't work with spring guns, and is one reason why springers are more difficult to shoot to the same standard of accuracy.

Just the lightest contact so that you can use feel to achieve a consistent position.

5. shoki

shoki New Member

thank you or the replies

yes, i shoot a springer and it's super finicky regarding the strength of the contact on every part of the gun

6. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    IF

If you must shoot a springer , then you should know that in each position you shoot from . it will effect the rifle differently . it is the way the rifle recoils ? you have to try and make it the same way each time . when i was shooting a springer a few years ago , i found the only way to really get it as good as poss . was to sit with the rifle in the aim , then breathe in deeply and relax the body starting from the top to the bottom . relaxing the muscles as you on , with the rifle only being cradled at the end and a light pressure of the thumb to counteract the pressure on the trigger in the opposite direction . and squeeze . but by god to do that on every shot ? no way mate .you will end up like Rob . :eek: Knackered ??? HOLLY:):D
    PS or even worse chasing sheep around a field like NJR :p

7. shoki

shoki New Member

heh, thanks mate, i am aware of the springer acting differently weather my t-shirt is blue or red

i was just wondering if there is a right was to do it...

8. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Wear the same T shirt

9. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    And c0ck ring

10. strangefroot

strangefroot Member

I find the brass c0ck rings work best.

11. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Just said it all ! Softly softly; trigger pressure through forefinger and thumb along thrust line.Hold, soft enough so that rifle can be removed from you without resistance(well not much :rolleyes: ).
    Mostly its guiding the recoil so it is linear.Don't want the little b...... to go into one. Doesn't take much and ready to go at a moments notice.:D.
    You love the little darlings really.:eek:
    HERX77 .