Question for Steyr Experts - the Stabilizer

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by BRPCP, Jun 5, 2015.

1. BRPCP

BRPCP New Member

After playing with my rifle for a while, I'm contemplating removing the stabilizer and sealing the hole that actuates the sear/lever to release the stabilizer. My reasons:
    1. I don't believe it helps the accuracy
    2. It is another place to let air out during the shot cycle (potential inconsistency)
    3. It's something else to potentially break:confused:

The Question:

My theory is the stabilizer is only effective at reducing/offsetting recoil AFTER the pellet has left the barrel. Is this correct?

Logic behind my theory:
    - The rifle experiences negligible rearward motion once the hammer is released. I say it's negligible because of the weight of the hammer relative to a 15lb rig. At this point, the stabilizer hasn't been released.
    - The actions of the hammer hitting the valve and releasing air through the transfer port doesn't create any movement that is discernible to the shooter. At this point, the stabilizer still hasn't been released.
    - Once the air makes it into the bolt it is simultaneously hitting the back of the pellet and tripping the stabilizer release at the same time. The stabilizer is now free to move, but hasn't moved yet.

It now becomes a race of the pellet getting out of the barrel while the heavy stabilizer gets kicked back. My theory is the pellet is either:
    1. Out of the barrel before the stabilizer is really offering any noticeable feeling. However, at this point it doesn't help accuracy, just the follow through for the shooter to offset recoil from the airblast out of the muzzle.
    2. It's almost out of the barrel. I don't want anything moving on the gun as I'm still holding aim.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    There's no intrinsic accuracy gain in stabilisers or brakes. All they do is aid the shooter to have better follow through. However if you can follow the shot better and see it in flight you can gain more knowledge of what the wind is doing and if the shot is going where it should. It's always possible to pull up targets but on battered targets if you've not seen it land then you are guessing.

3. simona

simona Active Member

If you've got the time and patience, try it. There's lots of people who would be interested in what you find.

I've shot plenty of groups with less fancy PCPs which were so tight as to be beyond meaningful improvement. Lots of people seem to do just fine at benchrest with S400 variants. I doubt removing the stabilizer will affect the accuracy, it's just a question of what the gun feels like to shoot afterwards. They just feel so good.

If you think the trade off, gaining simplicity and potential reliability for a less refined firing cycle, is worth it then that's your call.

4. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Try before you butcher

You can activate the stabalizer with out shooting , so see what it does before you devalue your outfit.
    The way you explained the firing cycle make it sound as if the stabalizer is not doing much , but I know if it's not working properly it affects accuracy.
    Simon

5. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Steyr have done extensive testing on the stabiliser and it has been proven that it does improve accuracy . The results were on their website. It was tested on the 10mt guns with and without and it definitely improved. Anything that reduces recoil and muzzle flip has to increase accuracy.

6. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

all this ^^^^

try it and see......

bet you decide to keep it....:)

errrr.......not that i regard myself as a steyr expert you understand....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  7. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I have done a lot of work over the years to calm actions down for the exact reason Rob mentioned in his post. if you can follow the pellet and see where it hits the info can lead to extra points on your card.
    As you say accuracy may not be improved by a stabiliser but I am sure they can score you more points.

8. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

On the scat traces it showed a remarkable improvement in accuracy. This is more noticeable in 10mt shooting. Whether it's noticeable in FT and HFT given that the kill size is a massive 40 mm in comparison. I suppose anything that helps accuracy is a plus.

9. Where's Molly

Where's Molly Active Member

Club:
    M.A.D
    The stabilizer is difficult to get right but when it is, Steyrs are the best guns to shoot. Getting it right takes a long time and involves mucking around with the reg as well as the physical adjustment on the unit itself. They all vary from gun to gun so i cant help with measurements, but the "have it level with the back of the action when cocked" theory is not correct. I use a "base" setting of 25mm protrusion when released whilst being held on a solid surface (with the unit removed and horizontal) at aprox 88bar. I reckon it may not be of any use to you though as i figure from your location that youll be running more horsepower than it was designed for (as are FT/ HFT shooters to a slightly lesser extent) as it original design is for 6bhp. Ive got an Anschutz 8002 with a similar system and cant get that right yet, but that is purely designed to run at 10 metre speeds and needs further work with weight/spring.
    Cheers.
    Rich.

10. BRPCP

BRPCP New Member

Great feedback everyone! Thank you very much...

I've basically deduced it's there for the muzzle blast; which helps follow through as everyone has pointed out. This is a little less relevant for me as I shoot with a suppressor which reduces the blast quite a bit. I've been busy so i haven't stripped it down yet. Will post results when I do.

Thanks again everyone. Hope to meet some of you at Worlds.

11. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    If you clamp a muzzle then no amount of stabiliser or brake will make any difference. The barrel and pellet determine that.
    Follow through however will aid a better shooting process. Scatts can't predict shot placement and they aren't a scoring system, they can only show relative movement. It will show where the rifle pointed when the shot was taken and in the duration it takes to get to 10m (or whatever range you are shooting at) how far the barrel has moved. But that's after the shot has gone. There's not enough air in front of a pellet to stabilise the barrel before the pellet leaves.