question about scopes...

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Anon, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Anon

Anon Non member

Am after a lightweight scope for FT, nothing wrong with my Nightforce scopes but they are too heavy for the Diana SR sledge system. Have tried the Silver Burris which is nice but I think the mag is too low for me so am looking for something higher mag - what would you guys reccomend.

Am thinking about that Mark 4 leup in the for sale section, but it will depend heavily on the ret fitted to it.

Other one I see is that silver 20-50, just seen inthe pics that it doesn't have a target turret on the windage, I thought all the 20-50's had target turrets to elevation and windage? Can the target turrets be retro-
    fitted?

Other ones I am considdering is a bausch&Lomb fixed 36 with mil-dot or the weaver fixed 36 but the weaver has a target dot ret and I never get on with these. Can the weaver be retro fitted with any other ret?

What other options are there?

regards,

Matt

2. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Weaver t-36 ret

I have looked into this myself and sadly I cant seem to find anyone who would change the ret in the scope.

The reason I was told was because the threads inside the scope are so fine, there is a large chance the threads would be crossed and would screw up the scope.

I would recommend this scope as I love mine and wouldnt be without it.

Ive owned alot of other scopes including Leup's but I still go back to this scope.

Have you thought about a Leupold Comp? I do know for aa Leup 20-50 for sale in the Midlands Matt. It has been owned from new but Im not sure on the price.

Berty

3. Anon

Anon Non member

Berty,

The Weaver T36 that has just sold in the for sale section here used to be mine, I could never get on with the target dot ret, scope was superb though.

Had a Bausch&Lomb fixed 36 with a mildot but never really gave it a chance as a Nightforce came up for sale so bought that.

Just looking for somethign to use for the rest of the season really, but something with higher mag than 32.

regards,

Matt

4. WHIZZER

WHIZZER Member

the leup comp 35x is a fantastic scope once the paralax is set correctly, a lot lighter than the nf but then again just about everything is! have you had a look through the latest nikko matt?

regards

stuart

5. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    go for a leup comp 40 matey try these guys in america they do mill dot in them and send to the uk (the rifle scope store)goggle that it scott who deals with you,go in the custom parts in their,its in america

6. paul yates

paul yates Kung Fu Panda

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Matt wait a couple more weeks then try out the new falcon, its a good price with very nice optics ..

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Top choice ?

Tops is the 35 mag comp X you do not need any more mag . it is light and very easy to use . do not get more than a 4 inch wheel . three if you can the smaller the better . next on my list comes a 32 mag MK 4 . you know all about them . then last but not least is a supprise . the 8 to 32 by 40 bushnell 4200 . it really is a supprise to use . little bit dark on a 32 mag .and the parralax is on the front . but the ranges on the scope read true . this is the first scope i have found that does that . give em a try ??? HOLLY

8. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I love mine, I have two; a duplex and a mildot. The duplex ret reads bang on the ranges. I've only added a few stickers for the ranges not covered in the standard markings. I use it on my 97K.

As I understand the other has had the mildot ret fitted aftermarket. This one reads a little under the markings i.e. if it says 55 yds it is about 52. I've only had this a few weeks and not had the chance to check and mark out all the ranges. It's quite possible that fitting the ret has altered the range marking a tad.

I don't find front PA a problem really. It's only a pain if you want to range from the standing or kneeling position. But from sitting position, it's fine. If you fit a coaster so that it bottoms out on the barrel at about the 60 yds setting you can do the fine adjustments just with your thumb (right hander of course). That way you get the full range down to 10 yds before it hits the barrel on the other side.

9. Dale

Dale Active Member

Factory standard 8.5-25x50's - the base scope for the conversion do have target turrets on both elevation and windage as standard. However you could specify Premier reticles to do a combination of target and low profile turret.

Personally for FT that would be a preferred choice for me. Unlike fullbore shooters I don't try and dial for wind so the low prfoile click turret is perfectly OK. As it happens I have had most of my target Leupolds converted to low profile windage turrets.

Oh, and yes you could get a turret retro-fitted if you absolutely had to have it

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Probably not on a Premier conversion though :(, the two won't touch each other's work.