Queen’s Speech will promise new Holyrood powers... (a ban?)

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by RobF, Nov 17, 2009.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6919355.ece

Which might have ramifications for Sarpa's fight against a ban, covered here and here

2. raygun

raygun Non member

There will also be measures for improved airgun security.

That I can understand.

ATB
    Ray.

3. raygun

raygun Non member

I'd heard about this a couple of weeks ago and I wouldn't be surprised that there is "All party agreement" on the proposals.

No-one will want to be seen as standing away from this. Westminster will also be able to stand back and watch what happens in Scotland.

I think we are in for a couple of interesting years.

ATB
    Ray.

4. Graeme.C

Graeme.C New Member

I've seen mention of security measures.
    Does this mean in the home, carrying to and from your shoot or buying?
    How would this be enforced if theres no knowing who has airguns?

5. raygun

raygun Non member

I understand that the measures were originally fairly severe but BASC made representations and they have backed off a little.

At a guess it will be that if anyone is injured/offence committed with an airgun, if you are the owner and your security is found wanting you will be prosecuted. I'm presuming that the offences would be committed by someone other than the owner.

We will have to see how the legislation is framed.

This of course is fairly insignificant compared to the proposed devolved legislation if it goes ahead.

ATB
    Ray.

6. Graeme.C

Graeme.C New Member

Thanks for that, I see how that would work.
    I was thinking along the lines of home security needed in the same way as with a FAC and how would it have been enforced without prior knowledge of who owns airguns.

7. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Feel sorry for the Jocks if that clown McAskill gets his hands on firearms laws for Scotland :mad:

8. martin c

martin c New Member

time to have your say

Just spent 20 mins e-mailing mine (your MP ) . Lets not leave it until it is to late :(

9. yakker

yakker Member

Club:
    (SPLITTERS)
    Cheers for that. Martin just emailed mine ;)

10. sakerman

sakerman Member

Club:
    MAD
    Just done mine aswell.

11. RobF

Club:
    What are people asking their MP's? Might be good to gather ideas :)

12. raygun

raygun Non member

There's not much you can ask of your MP except to protest at further devolution to Scotland. This will be rather difficult as it appears that both major parties support it.

Action against the ownership of airguns will come only in Scotland but Westminster will watch with interest. If the devolution goes ahead I expect the Scottish Parliament will act quickly on some matters, airguns being one of them.
    I understand that if devolution goes ahead the Scottish Parliament could have something in place for airguns by September next year.

It could take a few years before this would spread South.

The clever part of all this is that no matter how hard protests are made south of the border it will have little effect north of that border. It's a very successful divide and conquer exercise.

Unfortunately it's looking more and more that the Scottish airgunners have been stuffed. Whether we can do anything about it spreading over the border will have to be seen in a couple of years. At the moment we have little to protest about in England and Wales as nothing so far has been threatened.

ATB
    Ray.

13. martin c

martin c New Member

this is still the uk

apart from what was in the queens speech , as for what i sent to my mp ,well it was just a few points arguing against further banning or licensing legislation. also remember it is westminster who have to delegate powers to hollyrood in the first place so we still have some influence :confused:

14. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Excuse my ignorance here guys but does the total intended ban mean without licencing......i.e will the scotish air gun community be able to apply for a licence in order to keep their rifles and carry on with their sport or will it be just a case of a very blunt end to use and ownership ?

Dave

15. RobF

Club:
    I can't see them banning them fullstop... licensing perhaps...

you can get pistols on license and all sorts of goodies... with good reason.

16. Weevie

Weevie Banned

The last time Kenny Macaskil was heard on this subject he was saying that he wanted all target shooters air-rifles stored at the club and only professional pest controllers to be able to have air-rifles for hunting.

Which pretty much amounts to a ban but side-steps the issues of mass licensing or an actual ban that would involve compensation.

17. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

That's a ban in all but name cos no Air Rifle club makes enough money to provide a safe storage area or indeed have the facilities:mad::mad:

18. RobF

Club:
    I know a few that have FAC capabilities, so it's not out of the question... but for FT/HFT clubs it might prove expensive.

But then have they worked out what defines a club? ;)

19. Weevie

Weevie Banned

FT and HFT clubs wouldn't stand a chance. Most clubs in England simply wouldn't have the money for the insurance that would be required for storing say 15 £1000 rifles plus £500 scopes and I can't see Scotland being any different.

When you think that Daystate, with all the security that they had, lost a good number of rifles to a break in, you can see that an airgun club with, at best, a transport container and no on-site electricity and/or comms, would be an instant target for thieves. Many clubs don't even have that level of security. How happy would you be storing your kit in a portakabin or wood shed and that's not even taking into account potential damage from damp.

We could be generous and assume that Holyrood don't understand how most airgun clubs operate but let's face it, even if they come to understand, what chance is there that they'll say "Doh! We've been a bit hasty on this one. Nah, that's okay, keep your rifles, you'll be okay"?

Most gun clubs with powder burner facilities and the storage to match are too expensive to join for most and don't provide the same experience as an HFT/FT club, especially for the younger shooters.

Like I said, the proposals that have previously been aired are pretty much a ban in all but name.

20. RobF

Club: