Quality scopes for general use around 20/30mag?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Jesim1, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    Okay, I know this is a massive area, so let me put it into perspective...………….

I recently decided to thin down my collection of Big Nikko's as I don't use them to range find and they are fairly heavy, so I sold half a dozen of them over the past 12 months to be replaced with lighter, lower mag scopes to be used predominantly outdoors on a range and very occasionally indoor for a bit of paper punching. I bought the following over the past 6 months and yesterday was comparing some of them to one of the Big Nikko's I still have:

Vortex tactical 6-24x50
    Hawke Sidewinder 6.5-20x42
    Hawke Airmax 6-24x50
    Hawke Sidewinder 8-32x56
    Aztec Emerald 5.5-25x50
    Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50

All of the above scopes are decent scopes, especially in good light, but side by side with a Big Nikko at the same mags the picture quality of the BN is clearly better and brighter than all of these, despite most of them being several years newer than my BN.

All of the above were around £200/300 second hand, a couple I bought new for over that, and a second hand BN is around £450 for a nice one with no add ons. So what have I missed in this magnification that is as good as a BN but less bulky and heavy? I kind of want 20 to 30ish mag and up to £400 second hand/new and a 30mm body - other than that it's open season of anything?

What have you guys found that fits the bill, and as mentioned, it' not key for range finding, I'm more looking for clarity, sharpness and brightness.

James

2. eggie

eggie Active Member

Club:
    Broadland ARC
    Slightly higher mag but a Falcon T35 (x35 fixed) . Very bright and clear. Target dot only if they'd done a milldot ret they would have sold bucket loads. SH about 200 quid.....

3. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    You could always Mug Rob for one of his Custom shops for around the £200 mark . 8 to 40 by 50 or a BSA platinum . £250 to £300 . on around the twenty mag mark they are pretty bright ??? HOLLY

4. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    Any more experiences? have I made a mistake selling most of my Big Nikko's, should I have kept them for the money compared to "lighter " scopes?

James

5. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Old front focus Bushnell Elite 6-24x40
    Very clear and bright.

Got a Falcon T35 in sales but not put it up against the Bushnell, it’s got a much bigger front lens so it should gather more light?

Adam likes this.
  6. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

If your sat at a bench why is weight even an issue ?

I'd rather have the brighter Nikko personally if sat at the bench.
    I also found the Weaver T36 to be quite a nice scope for bench work and can be bought for the same price you have paid for you 'cheaper scopes'

7. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    So is the Bushnell Elite in the list the front PA or the sidewheel? I’d be surprised if the old one was inferior glass to any big Nikko. I have two in 8-32x40 and both are much better glass than any Nikko I’ve looked through. Yes at 32x there are brighter scopes simply because it’s only 40mm objective but wind down to 20 or 24 and they’re lovely.

8. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    I'm sure regardless of where we shoot we would all take a lighter over a heavier scope all other things being equal - that at least was my opinion, but also simply moving the gun about or doing some standing shots for fun can make the gun feel cumbersome or imbalanced, the BK on one of my Regals and Pulsars never felt right.

The Bushnell was an older model and side focus, but TBH I was not impressed with it and have now sold it. It was no better than the Hawkes but half again the amount of money, not a keeper for my eyes, but we are all different, and I'm looking for other peoples views and opinions, so it's all relative.

James

9. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    I use two Sightrons ( S11 36 X 42 BRD )for the bench rest rifles I have, quite light very good glass ,perhaps not the same build quality as a Weaver T36 but I have tried the Sightrons along side a Weaver and my eyes can't see any difference ( if any?). The only snag with the BRDs is that the reticule is x hair and dot so no mil dots, so a bit more fun picking your aim points at the BOAC range :D

Regards Gordon.

10. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    Yea, that's a deal breaker for me :D, I was up there all afternoon and desperately need some form of dots or hashes to help me aim, especially in a light wind which seems to swirl rather than blow:eek:

James

11. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Have a look through a front PA Bushnell, or Burris 8-32x44, if you get chance. Then if you still think a Nikko is better, pop down to SpecSavers! :D

Waldo and Conor like this.
  12. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

I traded my Burris 8-32x44 R/A for my second 4200 Elite in 8-32. To me the Bushnell was more clear, but the Burris ranged just as well. I've looked through a few big scopes, Nikko and Sightron, and they don't seem as clear as my Bushnell 8-32. My old 6-24 4200 Elite is also very clear and it has survived well over 100,000 shots and 19 years on a TX200 with loads of clicking, since that's all I do with the standard reticle.

13. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    They do vary though. I've had 3 4200s in 8-32 and one in 6-24, and one Burris. I still own the best 2 of the 8-32s. I sold the 6-24 on years ago having little use for it at the time, but regret it now. One of the 4200s had a mildot ret (possibly aftermarket) and that one, while the image was pretty much as good, did not range as predictably as the other one. It was a little vague so I sold it on.

I think the Burris, to look through and on ranging, was more or less the equal of my better Bushnell, possibly slightly better. My main issue with it was having more than one turn between 10 and 55 yards, which would mean ditching the coaster or shifting it round the objective.

14. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

I liked the Burris except for the objective ring which would get really tight and stiff out past 40 yards. Made it really hard to creep up on the setting. I did figure out that pulling back ,I think or maybe pushing forward, on the ring as I turned it, made it ease up. This was a common fault with the 8-32x44 R/A Burris. I also prefer the single thumb screw that holds the turret on a Bushnell. It makes a good place to sit a pellet, when doing the old pellet on turret trick with my TX's.:D

15. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Yes mine was pretty smooth but I was told they are prone to dust getting in the objective ring leading to stiffness or in some cases jamming.
    For the pellet test I like to use the flat of my AJP scope rails. The friction of the matt anodised finish makes the pellet move less! :)