puzzled

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by henryc, Jan 28, 2015.

1. henryc

henryc New Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    I have an EV2 plus a big nikko scope, from 15 yards out to 55 it's spot on but at 10yards it consistently shoots 3 pellet widths to the left. Can't understand why any ideas?

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    indoors or out?

3. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    What big nikko

What mk is the nikko and what mag do you shoot 10 yds on?

4. henryc

henryc New Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    It's a mk1, I range on full. shoot at 25, out doors

5. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    reticle movement

I used to have a MK 1 big nikko that the reticle would do a little jump when the side wheel bottomed out.
    Maybe check that your reticle is not moving, mine did not affect accuracy but did move about.
    Could be that yours shifts position a little at the bottom of the side wheel travel.
    Simon

6. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Have you tried it at 10x for the near ones in lieu of your normal 25x to explain a bit more. I shoot BR with a Nightforce BR scope at 20m it really only parallaxes down to about 21 at that level its right on its limits. The 20m target bull and centre pip gets a two ring effect I have to guess which one to aim at - not ideal in BR!- I address that with a 50ft reducer which sorts it out - but I have in the past forgotten it and had to shoot my cards without - my experience is that at a scopes limit of parallax it seems you can introduce variances in sight picture. I mitigate it by winding back on the mag!

kr

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  7. henryc

henryc New Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    thanks for that mate, when the wheel bottoms out the 10yrd target is sharp but I can turn the wheel another inch or so the image blurs then becomes sharp again like I have two 10 yard settings?????

8. mjoh

mjoh Member

Club:
    Broadlands A.R.C.
    I have noticed this with my MK 2 and 3 Nikkos - a clubmates mk3 does this as well . - dont know why but I put it down to they are not designed for shooting at 10 yds or less -- more like 1000yds. Just remember to aim off slightly.

9. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I'd clamp it and see if the crosshairs move when you parallax and/or change mag, and when you dial for 10yds...

I assume you're shooting with a bubble to rule out can't as well?

I'd also suggest doing it indoors will rule out wind. You need a lot to move it 15mm at 10yds, but it's easy to think it's right further out and then when you come back it's wrong. But if it's only doing it at 10 and every other range is smack on i'd suspect the scope. If it gradually wanders i'd suspect windage.