1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puzzled indoors

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by CoolId, Oct 23, 2010.

1. CoolId

CoolId New Member

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of visiting a new indoor 50m range - very nice too. However my PCP FT outfit didn't like it at all. Whether sitting, soft bench resting (cushion) or hard resting (directly on the wooden bench) my POI was about 25mm high, and I struggled to get 10 shot groups much less than 30mm in each direction

The following week on an outdoor range I was putting in horizontal rows of pellets (due to the blustery wind) with no more than 12-15 mm vertical spread from a soft bench rest

Asking around, a number of people have made similar observations about poor grouping at 50m on an indoor range, but no-one seems to have an explanation

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards

Dave

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Unseen drafts on the indoor range?

3. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

No drafts in the range if its The Tunnel that dave visited...The only change I had was to dial to 50yards to group at 55yards centre on the indoor range and I was getting 10-15 mm groups. I don't know why you were getting a spread like that dave unless your gun don't like the pellets and shooting outdoors the wind is disguising this fact as you compensate.

4. brede

brede all the gear and no idea.

people have said that to me, that they stopped zeroing indoors after their POI changed when back outdoors. trouble is, people sit on a bench firing downwards towards a target near the floor and don't take parellax error into account. it's the only explanation ive got because ive never had any problems whatsoever when zeroing indoors. however i have noticed a small spread in group sizes when leaving the door open.
    hope this may help you ATB, john

5. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Temperature difference within the range perhaps.

6. dozbadthebad

dozbadthebad BFTA 2010 European Champion & Pooch Plinking Plonk

Club:
    NELSON
    Air pressure

AIR PRESSURE
    theres a big difference betwen indoors and outside you should also have windage indoors, cant remember which way but i think its to the right as the pellet twists through the less dence air
    will be more visable at longer ranges 45 to 50 yards :cool:

7. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Doz you have me interested.
    What would the difference in air pressure be inside than outside?:confused:

8. rick

rick New Member

Many years ago we used to travel over into the Manchester area to shoot on the top floor of an old mill, thinking it would be brilliant to set up a FT rig in perfectly still air. Turned out to be a total waste of time. I think it was something to do with the lack of humidity. Gun always shot higher indoors.

9. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Its something Chris Coombes and I have noticed when zeroing in an old rail tunnel and yes we put it down to air pressure/humidity;)

10. WHIZZER

WHIZZER Member

i notice paralax error at petes farm, i put it down to low lighting level????

11. dozbadthebad

Club:
    NELSON
    Connor

see if you can get a borometer from WORK and measure the air in an open space then do the same in doors you will see the difference the air offers less resistence so the pellet flys higher and moves more because of the rifling twist ask the captain it will keep him busy for months on his ship.

Doz

12. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    lol hes off at the min. I'll wait till he back on board.:D
    How, when and why did the pooch get it?:eek::D

13. Dale

Dale Member

As an aside, indoor ranges generally have extractor fan systems operating, which do generate air currents.

14. dozbadthebad

Club:
    NELSON
    coner

it was storm the pup in the arse at 47 yds with the ev2 took me 100 shots at weston park to win the euros and £600
    1 shoot in nelson in the dog £600
    thankfully alls ok and she is insured
    was just shooting she run strat infrunt of the gun didnt even see her look like she was chassing a mouse our somthing that cort her eye :eek: